'Somewhat' International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollSkins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have question which I am sure could be answered with some research and surfing around the internet but I figured I could get a better answer here. Anyway I am currently a college senior in the US and I will graduate in a few months. I was wondering if it is possible for me to go to medical school over there and what is involved with that? I am actually an Australian citizen (I have dual citizenship, my mom is from melbourne) so I don't know if that helps any. I was just wondering if someone could elighten me on the details of what I would need to do and if I want to attend school out there and if I could then practice in the US if I wanted to later on in life. I want to look into this because I love Australia and would like to end up living there someday and I figure why not just move there now? Also I would like to be closer to all my moms family as I haven't been able to see them much growing up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I have question which I am sure could be answered with some research and surfing around the internet but I figured I could get a better answer here. Anyway I am currently a college senior in the US and I will graduate in a few months. I was wondering if it is possible for me to go to medical school over there and what is involved with that? I am actually an Australian citizen (I have dual citizenship, my mom is from melbourne) so I don't know if that helps any. I was just wondering if someone could elighten me on the details of what I would need to do and if I want to attend school out there and if I could then practice in the US if I wanted to later on in life. I want to look into this because I love Australia and would like to end up living there someday and I figure why not just move there now? Also I would like to be closer to all my moms family as I haven't been able to see them much growing up.

hey in the same situation pretty much. Im an Aus citizen too and i am in the states doing my undergrad.

If you want to go to med school in Aus, you will need to take the GAMSAT exam next year. After that you would apply to aussie med schools through acer depending on gammy scores and gpa. If you do medicine and decide to come back to US, it will be hard to get into certain residencys. but dont let that discourage you, its definetly possbile. Thats my answer in short.

Good Luck

I want to look into this because I love Australia and would like to end up living there someday and I figure why not just move there now? Also I would like to be closer to all my moms family as I haven't been able to see them much growing up.

Moving around once you've completed your training and become a consultant/attending is tricky. You don't see it done often because it is a hassle and most people have families by then.

If you really do love Australia, then just go.

jonstewart has some spot on advice as well.

There is a wealth of information in this forum. Just dig around and ask more specific questions afterwards.