Somewhat nontraditional, unique major, interested in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changedmymind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in college and just recently (i.e. at the start of my junior year when I began my major curriculum) I fell in love with the study of medicine and had in the back of my mind that I wanted to pursue this and become a physician. Unfortunately, growing up and in the first two years of my undergraduate career I never knew how fascinating medicine is and how much I would LOVE a career in it, so this means I did not enter college with pre-med track in mind. I focused mostly on keeping my GPA high so I could get into my professional program (Clinical Laboratory Science) which I got into on my first go, and originally I planned on just settling for the BS and that would be it, until I fell head over heels for medicine.
I don't have a lot of research or volunteer experience, and I haven't taken all the med school pre-requisites (orgo and physics) so I am already planning at least a two year gap period between undergrad and med school should I get in, but can anyone please help me out with suggestions on how to produce the best application possible?
I have an extremely science and lab based background from my major, and a 3.75 GPA, and I'm currently working as a student laboratory intern in my institution's clinical diagnostic laboratories, which includes evening and overnight shifts. I'm thinking about starting research in a path lab because path is one of the specialties I'm very interested in, but please give me advice on what you think my chances are and what I should do next!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I would add that I've taken 2 semesters of gen chem, have taken 3 semesters of general biology, micro, and genetics, and have taken biochem with corresponding labs as applicable but all my other science courses are within my major and are not "general science" courses, though they are all EXTREMELY specific and relevant to medicine and healthcare (immunology, hematology x2, immunohematology or blood banking, clinical chemistry, diagnostic microbiology, urinalysis, with on- site clinical rotations in large academic institutions that correspond to these courses, so I basically live at the hospital and have a ridiculous amount of healthcare exposure when combined with my student intern position).

You need to take the MCAT after you have completed all the science prerequisites for medical school. A score of 508 or higher is competitive for medical school with your GPA. 50 hours of shadowing physicians (including primary care) would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to take the MCAT after you have completed all the science prerequisites for medical school. A score of 508 or higher is competitive for medical school with your GPA. 50 hours of shadowing physicians (including primary care) would help.
Okay and with limited time I have left (what with taking classes and MCAT studying) what else would you recommend that would give me the biggest bang for my buck given what I've already done?? Something more patient care oriented or something more research oriented??