1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Soo....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DNM503, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DNM503

DNM503 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So, I keep seeing all these posts from high school kids. How many people didn't even know what AMCAS was until Spring 2005? And how many people discovered SDN around August 2005?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm going with spring 05.

4. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I found out about it in August 2005. And I'm hella glad about that. If I knew about SDN while I was in school or studying for the MCAT I would have fcuked it up royal by wasting my time here. When/If I matriculate I'm totally getting the hell away from here, too. I don't want to waste my time here. It's like a black hole that sucks away my ability to concentrate. Oh, but it's sort of helpful, don't get me wrong....

5. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    me! i decided to apply about two years ago but didn't work out the logistics until last spring/summer. i don't know, maybe i'm small-minded but i think it's a big odd for high school students to be worrying about applying now. how can you really know what you want to do with your life before you're even 18?

editing to add that i've been at sdn for a few years now, but i'm a message board chick. if there's a message board about something i'm interested in, i'll be there. :)

6. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Uh...yea.

Me too.

And I'm better looking. :D

7. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well, that's just your opinion, man. ;)

8. nimotsu

nimotsu 荷物
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I know what AMCAS means, lol

And try Nov 2005 :)

I also understand why the professors who teach the lower sci classes hate their jobs... During office hours.. "I gotta make an A... I'm going to be a doctor.. I couldn't study for the test because I was trying to figure out how to wash my clothes for the first time in my dorm.. but I'm going to be a doctor.. probably go the MBA/MD track because I have a brilliant business sense."

9. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

If i would have found out about this site any idea....i would have freaked the crap out of myself.

10. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

what he said.
    i think i joined a little earlier though.
    -mota

11. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    The best is when they say they're GOING to become a doctor, or better yet they're going ot become a surgeon or [insert extremely competitive specialty here] as if they already know they're already in. :laugh:

12. Med-tallica

Med-tallica Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My parents went around spouting to people that I've already decided to pursue medicine, so a family friend at Loyola told me about it a year ago. I'm a senior in high school(accepted to Texas A&M, w00t Gig'em). At the forum to get exposure to the process, the careers, the lifestyle, and what not before I actually make the decision to pursue the medical field.

13. UCDavisdude

UCDavisdude WHITEBOY SLIM
    5+ Year Member

too busy drinking and bein "cool" in high school here.

14. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been around for almost three and a half years, although I didn't post as much as I do now. Wow, I am just realizing how many newcomers there are here. Any of the old timers remember SDN characters like Silver Eyes and Squat N Squeeze? Gosh, I have been hanign around here too long.

15. Renoir

Renoir Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am (obviously) a major newcomer. But I feel rather like a "late-comer," being already near completion of my undergrad degree. In coming across posts from high schoolers I wonder if browsing through the forums on SDN would have turned me off (or on) to medicine at such a young age.

16. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's a combination of alot of things that brings high schoolers here. Personally I feel blessed that I know without a doubt what I want to do with my life before I even start my first semester of a college education that is going to cost 100,000+. Getting my EMT certification so I can volunteer during college, bought Princeton Review's MCAT book so I can go over the stuff at least an hour every week, planning an overseas medically related volunteer trip.

I'm just getting a jump start, I mean how else is the average guy supposed to get into a top 20 school?

And finding this site early has been a blessing. I know so many ins+outs of the process already. I know what kinda EC's I need to be looking at long term.

17. funshine

funshine at the fateful hour
    10+ Year Member

I know! And to think, I could've discovered SDN back when I was taking orgo and then pepper the forums with all my silly questions :D .

18. zero2hero

zero2hero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Discovered SDN while waiting for my August 2004 scores to be released. Joined the other dozen anxious SDNers in the MCAT forum with the countdown. It was great! Hah!

19. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually didn't discover SDN until after I had been accepted! Mostly I just enjoy seeing all the neurotic premeds doing their thing here on SDN. Sometimes I get interesting information, tho.