Soon to be a D1, any suggestions

Discussion in 'Dental' started by snowrider3030, Dec 18, 2008.

1. snowrider3030

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was just accepted into IUSD's dental program and am looking for any suggestions in preparation for D1? Any texts? Any materials? Any lab work? Nice areas to buy a home? Anything. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

2. TempleDMDKrazd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    enjoy your time off before dschool starts.

3. squeegeediver

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    YES. And take as much time off as finances allow you.

4. wigglytooth

wigglytooth Assistant Wiggle-ator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ditto on everything that's been said. number one, have fun and do as much of nothing as possible. number two, if you're already working, try to keep that job as long as you think you'll be sane for or find a fun summer job. this is one of the last summers you'll have free to increase your savings before you see them shrink exponentially.

5. OG1

OG1 OrthoGunner #1
    7+ Year Member

Stop studying. NOW.

6. makushin

makushin Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student

#6 makushin, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  7. snowrider3030

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am getting the same info from everyone. I really want to relax, but I feel like I should be preparing instead of walking into a war zone of info when I get there. I will take all of your advice and enjoy the rare time off, I just have been so preoccupied for the last five years with school and work that when I do take a break I feel guilty, like I should be doing something. Anyhow thank you everyone for your advice. I cannot wait to meet you all one way or another.

8. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    This is one of the toughest parts of dental school. You need to know when to take "me" time a little bit each day. I perform better when I have a little break so I can hit the books at full force. If you don't do this for yourself, dental school will consume you...

9. OG1

OG1 OrthoGunner #1
    7+ Year Member

I don't blame you because I've felt the same way during dental school. The problem with trying to prepare early is that most of the stuff you study you probably won't have to learn in dental school, and you probably won't learn it nearly as well when you don't have the time pressure of classes and tests prodding you along. It's much more effective to relax while you can and bust it when you're in dental school and know exactly what you need to study.

10. The info that that you are getting from everyone is the same because it is the truth. We, who are already dental students or dentists, have at least gone through 1 semester of d-school now. We are telling you this because it is what you need to do. don't worry about d-school. that will be here soon enough. Don't worry about needing to prepare for Biochem, Physiology, etc because no matter how much you prepare now you are still going ot be overwhelmed at times. Enjoy life while you can. If you don't learn how to acept this, you will burn yourself out in d-school. D-school can be intense at times and if you don't learn to manage when to say when, you will let it get to you. i know from experience. I let it get to me. Now, I relax more and am enjoying life more.

Good luck in your journey ahead!

11. MnBr63

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I asked the same question before entering dental school. I had off from December till July and didn't know what to do besides work 3 days a week. I heard the same answers that you're hearing and (not to take anything away from what they are saying) but it didn't satisfy me.
    With that said, here are my honest answers:

1. Get in shape.
    This will do wonders for you. It will get you into a good rhythm of exercise, get you eating right and NOW is the best time to do it. Never will you have a better opportunity. Look your best before entering dental school... ha, i know several people in my class have put on a few pounds already.

2. Learn BASIC dental terms.
    I'm sure that now you have been accepted to dental school a bunch of people have asked you questions about their teeth and whats wrong with them. I'm not saying learn all the pathologies associated w/ teeth i'm saying learn dental vocabulary (especially as to what pertains to Dental Anatomy.) Learn what mesial, distal, buccal, labial, lingual, incisal, occlusal, gingival, apical etc means and be familiar with them. Of course you will learn this in dental anatomy but this is just something simple that will help you out a lot.

3. Review basic gross anatomy
    i'm not saying to go into great detail...but look over the skeletal system, the muscles, and various organs.

4. work with your hands
    if you haven't already...pick up a hobby that requires attention to detail and fine movements.

12. verticalbite

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    just exercise.

there is no way to prepare for dental school.

the last 4 years of undergrad is worthless when you start dental school.

just exercise and get in shape, that way you can stay awake all night to cram!

13. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i would just take it real easy till school starts up. i have just finished my 1st semester, and i am real glad that i had taken time off to do what i had wanted before school started. Rest that brain of yours because it will be grinding non stop until the end of the semester. :)

14. snowrider3030

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks everyone. I am so excited and looking forward to the time finally I can seek out hobbies for myself. I think you all are right. I plan to get back into shape. It is interesting that while working out the brain, you tend to neglect working out your body. I used to run 4 miles every other day and work out 5 days a week, now I am lucky to get in a day or two and some pushups. Anyone at IUSD on this tread?

15. Jaylee777

Jaylee777 Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    +1 great advice but done in moderation along with lots of time doing activities/hobbies, spending time with family, and hanging out with friends...most likely, youre not going to see or talk to them often once you start. good luck and welcome to the grind...

16. verticalbite

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would also say that doing a residency is a waste of time too. You will get more experience in a dental practice in a month than 2 years as a resident!

17. Dr IWannaBe

Dr IWannaBe Class of 2012
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    VerticalBite, You're not serious, are you?

18. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This is a great thread, because I feel that it went past the first layer of a pre-dent asking 'how do i prepare' and d-students saying 'Don't move!! Just ... sit there and enjoy it!' Finally got to see the OP return with 'comon, really?' and got some great responses. Appreciate it a lot.

Now, I do have a question - so I'll lay out my 'plan.' I am working between undergrad and grad, a great job but its 3rd shift and takes a lot of my time. If I save enough money (since I'll still be paying rent and utlities and bills until September), I might be able to quit in July and coast into dental school with my savings.

Originally I was thinking I should work right up to a few weeks before school and maybe go on a vacation, but maybe I should quit earlier in July (EDIT: OSU doesn't start until Sept 23rd).

Also, my dentist has a lab in the basement of his office and offered me the oppurutunity to come in during the summer before and work in the lab (not paid) for as long as I want. I was thinking maybe 3 days a week. Learn how to mold teeth, wax, make crowns, he even has a cerix machine (doubt I'll touch it). My buddy who just finished the first quarter in D-school said I should take the oppurtunity and I'll be weeks if not months ahead of my classmates when it comes to pre-clinical. Only problem is that is in Cincinnati and I live in Columbus (family lives in Cincy so I could board with them, but I'm paying rent and ****..)

Any suggestions?

19. Lifetime2Drill

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It sounds like a great idea but in reality it probably isn't worth it. Your first year you will have Dr. Kerby for Posterior preps and he is VERY VERY particular in how he wants his crown preps done. It is the opinion of me and most of my colleagues that you would better off just waiting until Kerby's instruction instead of garnering a bunch of bad habits.

Learning how to make casts and wax may be helpful. Lots of that during D1 year. Doing cerac would be interesting but that's soooo far away from anything you will doing in dental school so consider that just a bonus.

So here's my opinion: If you want to take a couple days and go down to this guys lab it may be worth it in terms of becoming familiar with dental equipment and procedures. If you go make sure you are able to take impressions and pour casts because you get graded on during the first semester of school. Its pretty easy after you do it a few times. But I would stay away from prepping any typodont teeth. All you would be doing is garnering bad habits.

Also, I would def recommend a vacation before school starts.

PM me if you have any more OSU-specific questions.

20. verticalbite

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

absolutely serious!

Especially if you do a hospital residency. Waste of time!

21. verticalbite

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I would strongly recommend NOT going to this lab.

THE WORST THING IN DENTAL SCHOOL IS WHEN A PROFESSOR SAYS TO DO SOMETHING AND YOU RESPOND WITH:

BUT THATS NOT HOW SO IN SO DOES IN DOWN THE ROAD!!!!

THAT WILL PISS THEM OFF SO BAD. ITS ALMOST LIKE YOUR BETTER OFF NOT KNOWING HOW ITS DONE IN REAL LIFE BECAUSE IT WILL PISS YOU OFF IN DENTAL SCHOOL1!!!!!

Another example, they will have you set teeth and festoon dentures in school for two semesters.

how ofter will you do that after dental school???? NEVER, the lab does it.

I knew that as I shadowed so many dentists, so I basically sat there for two semesters pissed off wondering why in the hell they were wasting my money and precious time!!!

22. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    make sure that you have your will written out :laugh::laugh:

23. JessD

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  24. Minn2011

2+ Year Member

Take anatomy, biochem, all the first year classes are helpful but those were my hardest. Everyone else seemed to have had them while I was in the dark for many of them, made first year much harder.