Soon to be doctors--medical students, please answer a few semi-quick questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuras

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to compile a good bit of information on different medical schools, information that isn't very easy to come by but may be vitally important. You don't have to answer all(any) if you don't wish to. Be as brief or verbose as you wish. I will try to compile this information in as best a way as possible, then I will post it the undergrad forum, adding to it as more information/opinions are given.

1. Please give your institutions name:

2. Please rank the overall focus on PBL(1 to 10)

3. Please briefly explain the grading scheme(pass/fail/honors, pass/fail, A-F etc.)

4. Thesis required for pure MD? Yes/no

5. Please briefly explain your overall testing schedule. (Weekly single exams, random/depends, monthly multiple exams, etc.)

6. If applicable, what aspect has most annoyed you or detracted from your medical school experience at this institution, preferably not something that all med students are most likely facing. (i.e. I wish someone would have told me how bad the parking was at my undergrad. I was split 50/50 on two universities, and I opted for the one that looked a little better. I really regret my choice because of the parking issue that no one ever mentioned.)

7. How "safe" is the area which it is located. (not dangerous, mildly dangerous, moderately dangerous, dangerous). Additionally, is it urban or suburban.

8. If possible, please link to or post the most recent match list you know of.

Again, thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Zuras said:
I'm hoping to compile a good bit of information on different medical schools, information that isn't very easy to come by but may be vitally important. You don't have to answer all(any) if you don't wish to. Be as brief or verbose as you wish. I will try to compile this information in as best a way as possible, then I will post it the undergrad forum, adding to it as more information/opinions are given.

3. Please briefly explain the grading scheme(pass/fail/honors, pass/fail, A-F etc.)

5. Please briefly explain your overall testing schedule. (Weekly single exams, random/depends, monthly multiple exams, etc.)

6. If applicable, what aspect has most annoyed you or detracted from your medical school experience at this institution, preferably not something that all med students are most likely facing. (i.e. I wish someone would have told me how bad the parking was at my undergrad. I was split 50/50 on two universities, and I opted for the one that looked a little better. I really regret my choice because of the parking issue that no one ever mentioned.)

7. How "safe" is the area which it is located. (not dangerous, mildly dangerous, moderately dangerous, dangerous). Additionally, is it urban or suburban.

Anyone who does this for this guy is insane...d00d go to your library and get MSAR.

wow. Why not also ask this one too.

9. Please write my secondary for me answering all of the questions that your school asks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zuras said:

Jeez, you guys are a boatload of pricks.
80% of the crap on SDN could be found in other places, but we still try to help people out anyways.
1. University of Oklahoma
2. 3
3.A-F
4. No
5.3 Exam Blocks per semester
6.Dental students attitudes
7.Moderately safe while on lg. HSC campus. Not so much in the surrounding areas. Area is urban (downtown Okla City)
8. Not avail online

Thank you, oudoc08. I wish I could say the same for the others that have so rudely responded thus far. Kind of makes me wonder if they think MD stands for malcontent doctor.

Zuras said:
Thank you, oudoc08. I wish I could say the same for the others that have so rudely responded thus far. Kind of makes me wonder if they think MD stands for malcontent doctor.

I draw the line when an OP asks for us to become research assistants so he or she doesn't have to do any work.

PhotoMD said:
I draw the line when an OP asks for us to become research assistants so he or she doesn't have to do any work.
Exactly.

1. UT Houston
2. PBL Class 2nd yr
3. Honor, High Pass, Pass, Marginal Performance, Fail
4. NO
5. Block Exams (Every 4 weeks 1st yr, Every 8 weeks 2nd)
6. No parking during school
7. Safe
8. Don't know where its at, they give us paper copies

So I guess I'm a big tool for answering these questions. I apologize for my toolness.

Zuras said:

Gag.

Please, when somebody doesn't answer a question the way you want, you can't just shake your head ruefully and bloviate about how MDs need to be super-nice.

heeter said:
Gag.

Please, when somebody doesn't answer a question the way you want, you can't just shake your head ruefully and bloviate about how MDs need to be super-nice.

i like the word 'bloviate.' it reminds me of how much i liked 'ginormous' the first time i heard it.

anyway, don't have time to post answers now, but once the search function is restored, you can find a q&a thread i did on pittmed in pre-allo awhile back. this will probably answer alot of your questions about the school, and i think some of my classmates got involved. ignore the dumb sense of humor you'll find in part of that thread. dumb sense of humor is usually a plus though.

lion

LionInTheDark said:
ignore the dumb sense of humor you'll find in part of that thread. dumb sense of humor is usually a plus though.

lion

A dumb sense of humor is one of the best tools a med student could have...