Soon to be PA student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jendez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, and it has been interesting reading all the postings. I am starting PA school in the fall at Stanford University. The program is a combination of Stanford and Foothill college. It is not a graduate program and I recently heard from a friend of mine that because it does not offer a graduate degree it's not that good. But I figured what does a Master's in Physician Assistant studies really mean? In the end, we all take the same certification exams. Anyway I am taking off my senior year of college to do this and then after I'm done with the program I planned to return to school and finish up my BS in dietetics, I have 2 semesters left. But now I'm wondering should I have applied to a Master's program instead? I thought of pursuing an MPH in the future which I thought would be better. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

jendez said:
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, and it has been interesting reading all the postings. I am starting PA school in the fall at Stanford University. The program is a combination of Stanford and Foothill college. It is not a graduate program and I recently heard from a friend of mine that because it does not offer a graduate degree it's not that good. But I figured what does a Master's in Physician Assistant studies really mean? In the end, we all take the same certification exams. Anyway I am taking off my senior year of college to do this and then after I'm done with the program I planned to return to school and finish up my BS in dietetics, I have 2 semesters left. But now I'm wondering should I have applied to a Master's program instead? I thought of pursuing an MPH in the future which I thought would be better. What do you guys think?

I would plan on getting a master's some time soon. It WILL be required soon enough. You will be grandfathered in, but may get passed over for jobs, etc. in the future if you don't have one and someone else does.
Bottom line, the masters degree doesn't get you any more clinical knowledge. It is just a name, but necessary in this day and age.

Isn't Stanford the combined NP/PA program?

Pat

Members don't see this ad :)
hospPA said:
I would plan on getting a master's some time soon. It WILL be required soon enough. You will be grandfathered in, but may get passed over for jobs, etc. in the future if you don't have one and someone else does.
Bottom line, the masters degree doesn't get you any more clinical knowledge. It is just a name, but necessary in this day and age.

Isn't Stanford the combined NP/PA program?

Pat

Yes, it is a combined program. Does this matter?

jendez said:
Yes, it is a combined program. Does this matter?

I think that is for certain, a plus. I wish I would have done a combined program. That way, I wouldn't see PA's being passed over because of the signature requirement PA's have here in my state that NP's do not have. :( We are working on that though!

Pat