Soon to be PhD too late for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x2rk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to college and majored in Bio, minored in Chem and Anthro. I studied abroad and went on a few scientifc research trips abroad. When I was a senior in college I was studying in Australia and never took the MCATs. I wasn't even sure what I wanted to do. I then took Physiology and Biochem and subsequently Advance Physio and BioChem. Doing 4.0 work in all. Until then most of my bio science was field based and only about 3.2 work. Because I fell in love with Physio I went to school to get my PhD. I figured its only 4 years and they pay me to do it. I am going into my last year of Grad school and did very well, and I am thinking about Med school. Is it too late, I guess is my biggest question. I want to finish the PhD, but I am not in love with the publish or perish world of academia, and I refuse to go into business. I like the challenge Medicine presents as well as the extra research opportunites it presents. Does anyone know how med schools look at a PhD who wants to get into Med school? Is it harder to get in? Do I need to or should I chiefly apply to Research med schools because only they will take me?

Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really not sure and this might only be gossip but I remember hearing through the grapevine that Med schools don't like to admit PhD's. Does anyone else out there know if there's truth to this???? HELP out if you do!!!

Personally, I think having a PHD is awesome!

Hi,
i just left my phd program after 5 years..ouch. anyway from what i've been told on this board as well as talking to my friends who went to med school, the phd will not by itself hurt or help you. you have to make a compelling reasons to the admissions board on why you want to go MD after the phd. that's something only you can answer for yourself.

that said, the few people I know who went md after phd have had really good success with their applications. I don't know if this is related to being non-traditional or some specific phd thing. GOOD LUCK and pm me if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
oh,
do a archive search with phd as a keyword....you'll find a fair amount of stuff that has been raised earlier on this board. hope that helps

Originally posted by holler79
I am really not sure and this might only be gossip but I remember hearing through the grapevine that Med schools don't like to admit PhD's. Does anyone else out there know if there's truth to this???? HELP out if you do!!!

Personally, I think having a PHD is awesome!

Why would they not want to admit PhDs? Are they jealous of the PhDs' research experience? Do they think PhDs are too arrogant for requiring everyone to call them "doctor" even though MDs wouldn't consider PhDs real doctors? It has to be some sort of grudge, because more experience would ordinarily be better.

-RA

They like PhDs. Just have a good reason for wanting to go into medicine...perhaps a better one than your regular fresh out of undergrad applicant.

I'd tell them I pursued a PH.D because It was something I had an interest in and thus wanted to further my education. The knowledge you get from A bachelor's wouldn't do kind of thing. Tell them you love to learn or something.:love:

Originally posted by none
They like PhDs. Just have a good reason for wanting to go into medicine...perhaps a better one than your regular fresh out of undergrad applicant.

Absolutely right. One of my med school classmates has a PhD (from Harvard no less)! Just make sure you can articulate why you want to go into medicine (and don't say a challenge--bad answer). Your PhD and excellent work will probably help you, and just for the record IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT. 'Nuff said.