Soooo happy: My DAT 7/10!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFPredent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a mostly silent observer but an obsessive follower of the SDN DAT links since around May. I (finally) quit putting of the date and took my dat today. Here are my scores:

PAT 24 (99.9)
QR 22 (96.4)
RC 24 (95.9)
Biology 24 (99.1)
Gen chem 26 (98.7)
O chem 22 (93.0)
TS 24 (99.6)
AA 24 (99.5)

My gpa is 3.8 science 3.9, I applied to UOP, UCSF, USC, UCLA, Penn and Harvard. I used Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever and used my textbooks to reinforce all the anwers I got wrong. Some of the questions were totally oddball, especially science. I thought that the PAT was surprisingly easy. The highest score I ever got on a practice test was 22. I finished like 10 minutes early. Reading was straightforward. If you guys have any questions at all about anything, I now have all the time in the world to answer them. Happy studying! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your score. What were your Topscore and DAT Achiever scores? For the oddball questions, what topics were they on?

Congrats!

What does TS and AA stands for? How did you study for PAT?

You said:
Congrats!

What does TS and AA stands for? How did you study for PAT?

TS= Total Science
AA = Academic Average

anyhoo congrats on your MARVELOUS scores.. JEEZZzzz i'm starting to feel so horrible with my mediocre scores!!

Members don't see this ad :)
kokobean said:
TS= Total Science
AA = Academic Average

anyhoo congrats on your MARVELOUS scores.. JEEZZzzz i'm starting to feel so horrible with my mediocre scores!!

The first sign of the appocolypse = when people start calling a 23 DAT mediocre... sigh...

yes, could you please help with oddballs from science? please? :)
thank you!
messenger.

Congrats on your excelleng score! I'm sure your schools will be happy to accept you!

I do have a couple questions for you on how you allocated your time while studying?

How long have you been studying?

How many hours per day?

What study strategies did you employ?

Also, when you say the highest score you ever got on a practice test was a 22, do you mean for PAT or over all?

Thanks!

wahoo! congrats, and I'm glad to see you're not applying to any of the schools that I am

SFPredent said:
Hi everyone. I have been a mostly silent observer but an obsessive follower of the SDN DAT links since around May. I (finally) quit putting of the date and took my dat today. Here are my scores:

PAT 24 (99.9)
QR 22 (96.4)
RC 24 (95.9)
Biology 24 (99.1)
Gen chem 26 (98.7)
O chem 22 (93.0)
TS 24 (99.6)
AA 24 (99.5)

My gpa is 3.8 science 3.9, I applied to UOP, UCSF, USC, UCLA, Penn and Harvard. I used Kaplan, T....

Congratulations!!!
WOW ...competition is going to be fierce..
Averages are going to be so high this year!!
I think on SDN alone AA = 22 +

I did take the Kaplan course that ran March thru April, a total mistake but what can you do. The subject tests are NOTHING like the DAT but help you learn the information. My weakest part was always science, so I spent the most time studying science and almost all Bio. Instead of just reading textbooks, I read thru Kaplan, then started taking practice tests. Every answer I got wrong, I looked up the question in the index of Bruice for Ochem, Zumdahl for Gchem, and Campbell for Bio, and read the section and took notes. I think that is the best way for me to learn and retain the info. I ended up reading almost all of Campbell. I studied Taxo and human physiology so much because acheiver and topscore seems to emphasize these, but I only got I taxo (on bacteria) and very little physio. I got lots of evolution/speciation/ecology/population questions. Gen chem, the calculations were very very easy and straightforward, just make sure you understand the theory behind everything. Ochem, most were SN/E questions, but I had a few random hard ones. I dont think I can say specifics without getting in trouble, but study blood disorders, imine formation, claison condensation, and biological experiments (eg Hershey-chase, Millkian for chem, etc). Random, I say.

For PAT I was stoked, and that is my favorite part of my score. I think achiever is great, but my best advice is look for details. On the keyholes, think of the three views and look for the details passing thru each view. On your scratch paper, cross off the letters that it could not be. Usually it is pretty easy to narrow it down to 2, then look at the sizes and proportions and little edges and stuff. On top front end, eliminate the wrong choices by eliminating choices where there are solid lines instead of dashed or dashed instead of solid, or the shape is wrong, or the events dont match up. Dont try to visualize what the object looks like, just find the right answer quickly. Angles I didnt think were so bad. I went back thru them and I dont think I missed any. Most of them, you could find the smallest and the biggest and there was only one answer choice. I folded a corner of my paper in half and used that to compare on some of them. Go with your first instinct, look at the pixels, compare to a 7, etc. Paper folding was in between topscore and achiever difficulty. No 1/2 holes. Just unfold it mentally, draw the square on paper, etc. Cube counting was simple. Dont underestimate any of the "easy" sections (ie the three in the middle). You get the same amount of points for a correct cube counting as a correct keyhole, so make sure you dont make careless errors. I had lots of shape folding and not matching up the color folding, which I think are easier because you can eliminate the shapes which dont match with the pattern. Pretty straightforward. I finished 15 min early and rechecked almost everything.

RC: I used the take notes method. I do 8 minutes speed read and note take, then no more than 10 minutes answering questions. 18 minutes each gives you time for error. I think if you just look for the answers you will miss the tone/general questions.

QR: I suck at probability, that was my downfall. Learn probability well, I had about 5 and 3 were hard. Mostly algebra, conversion (know conversions, and these are easy) word problems. I finished about 10 minutes early. If you think it is going to take too long, estimate ( a great tool) and come back to it if you have time.

I got some of the SAT II prep books (math, bio, gen chem) which were A LOT like the test questions and good for practice and review. They are super cheap to (like 12-15$ each) and I would say these are MOST similar to the test questions in those three sections.

OK, if anyone read this far and actually still has questions about anything, let me know and I will write you another story :love:

great job...
wow how did u pull that science scores so high
it is rocket high.......

did u ever thought that there might have been an error in the computer?
made your grade higher? :D

great job dude... hope we do not compete

I dont think it was a computer error, I took a Kaplan test the night before and got a 26TS, and I felt like I did well. The conversions you should know are farenheight to celcius, miles to kilometers, pounds to grams (and kilograms), pounds to tons, ounces in a cup in a pint in a quart in a gallon and ounces in a pound. This is all I can think of, there might be more ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: those would be my feelings exactly if i was applying this year!! Dont worry...
AA= 19
Accepted into my state school:)
apaul said:
wahoo! congrats, and I'm glad to see you're not applying to any of the schools that I am

SFPredent said:

PAT 24 (99.9)
QR 22 (96.4)
RC 24 (95.9)
Biology 24 (99.1)
Gen chem 26 (98.7)
O chem 22 (93.0)
TS 24 (99.6)
AA 24 (99.5)

My gpa is 3.8 science 3.9, I applied to UOP, UCSF, USC, UCLA, Penn and Harvard. I used Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever and used my textbooks to reinforce all the anwers I got wrong. Some of the questions were totally oddball, especially science. I thought that the PAT was surprisingly easy. The highest score I ever got on a practice test was 22. I finished like 10 minutes early. Reading was straightforward. If you guys have any questions at all about anything, I now have all the time in the world to answer them. Happy studying! :)

Hi
I have so many questions if you dont mind.
1- what was your strategy for reading kaplan and how long did it take you to do that?
2- How did you do that great PAT score? tell me anything you did
3- How did you study for the reading comprehension section?
4- how long in advance should I apply for aadsas to have all my papers ready for application cycle 2008? I want to be the first applicants for the school I want to apply.

good for you you have done a great job. I wish I was in your position now. Good luck in everything.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experince with us.

congrats on awesome scores...i m getting nervous seriously man...with my stats...i won't be surprised if coming year my scores would be the new average!! hope i get in somewhere...what ya think guys???

nice looking scores!
one question: did kaplan blue book go into enough detail for the evolution/speciation/ecology/population questions? or do you recommend studying these sections from campbells?

when i took the DAT I had 1 question on ecology, 1 on evolution, and none on classification, but most of my test was physiology. So honestly it all depends on what test you get, also I had one simple question about oxidative phosphorylation, answer was 36 :)

parastoosh said:
Hi
I have so many questions if you dont mind.
1- what was your strategy for reading kaplan and how long did it take you to do that?
2- How did you do that great PAT score? tell me anything you did
3- How did you study for the reading comprehension section?
4- how long in advance should I apply for aadsas to have all my papers ready for application cycle 2008? I want to be the first applicants for the school I want to apply.

good for you you have done a great job. I wish I was in your position now. Good luck in everything.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experince with us.

My kaplan diagnostic (after reviewing the blue book a bit especially PAT was: 17 bio, 14 gen chem, 16 ochem, 21 PAT, 18 reading, 18 math. So I was never that far off. I was very slow to read kaplan completely. Too boring..... As I said above, I learn best doing problems, and going over teh answers thoroughly. Kaplan is great for answers.....read all of them, if there is something you dont understand about a wrong answer choice look that up too. I read thru most of kaplan throughout may and did all of there online resources by the end of june. O chem became easy as soon as I understood mechanisms of SN1/2/E1/2. I studied very little for Ochem. Gen chem is also very little amount of information. Kaplan is plenty, as long as you understand the theory behind everything

Like everyone says do a lot of practice problems for the PAT. I used all of Kaplans full length tests (about 6-7 total) all of kaplans individual PAT tests and section tests (about 30) and topscore and achiver (6 full length). I suck at keyholes, so sometimes on the ones I couldnt see when I went back thru them I drew the three views on a piece of paper. Top front end, I always write ABCD on a piece of paper (no E :) and cross off ones that I can tell off the bat are wrong. Usually this is two. Then look for the details about the last one, dont try to visualize the object. Look for distinctive shapes, and triangles/points etc, and count events. (event counting is key, if you dont get how to do it write me and I will explain it. Pattern folding, draw an square and draw dots in it. This is most useful for multiple hole punches or where you unfold in two directions. I did not think angles were that hard. Stick your pencil in it and compare the remaining angle, and look at the pixels, figure out the smallest and largest BEFORE looking at the answer choices. Cubes are cool, make sure you assume there is no cube there unless it is needed for support, eg 1 empty square between a bunch of cubes can often be mistaken as a cube. Pattern folding, go thru answer choices like top front end and eliminate wrong answers. Practice until you can do Kaplan completely in about 45 minutes, then you will have enough time on the real thing.

RC I didnt study much (just took some full length exams). Know how much time you are willing to spend doing what, and I recommend skimming the passage first instead of just searching around for answers. I knew about 1/2 of the questions from the first read and went back to my map for the others.

The earliest you can submit to AADSAS (and access the application) is May 15th. If you submit by June you should be first batch. Having transcripts, LOR, personal statement, extracurriculars, shadowing, research and DAT etc all done and in by June is the best.

Good luck, hope this helps!!!!