Soooo how old were your kids when you started/finished medical school/residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penicillinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to start on in 2018. "IF" i get in :xf:.... Mine will be 8 and 5. So how old were your kids when you started Med school? Residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Just started med.school today, one is 5y.o. another is 2months old. I'm 38. So far so good, it's still orientation only so far, but I laready can feel the vibes that this is the place to be (meaning med.school in general). You won't regret it when you get in. Awesome feeling! Wish you all luck

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I get in this cycle, my son will be 24, almost 25 (and.... he's a premed now too; funny that ;) )

Reactions: 8 users
Mine will be 1 Day old in 4 months. I never planned on sleeping in med school....

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 24, in the current cycle. Mine will be 6 and 4 by matriculation. I can't believe how much time has flown by!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

if I get in this cycle, mine will be 16, 14, 13, 11, 9

Reactions: 2 users
When I get in the next cycle (Claiming it) my son will be 4 by matriculation.

8 1/2 and 5. Started med school when my kids were starting 3rd grade and Kindergarten.

How much time on average did you see your children each day? I realize that by going to medical school you are sacrificing time with kids but my question is how much? I have a 7 year old and an 11 year old. Just wondering how people with kids do it. I will be applying next year.

How much time on average did you see your children each day? I realize that by going to medical school you are sacrificing time with kids but my question is how much? I have a 7 year old and an 11 year old. Just wondering how people with kids do it. I will be applying next year.
It totally depends on your school. I have someone in my class who I only see for mandatory sessions. Other than that, he's watching the recorded lectures at home. That will obviously change in 3rd year, but for now he sees them a lot.

Have you talked to your kids about this? Are you looking out of state? How does your 11 year old feel about having to change schools right before starting HS?

Members don't see this ad :)
1 by matriculation!! Talk about going crazy, applying to school and taking care of a newborn and working 50 hours a week and volunteering! add on question, for those planning more, what time would be ideal during school?

Reactions: 1 users
When I started Medical school: 6, 4, 1

During my third year of medical school, we closed up shop and got rid of all of our baby things. We were excited, no more diaper changes and our house would stop smelling like the bathroom at a bus station. wwweeeellllll..............the shop did NOT get that memo

When I finished Fellowship: 15, 12, 10, 6

Reactions: 3 users

Every day. I treated medical school like work. After classes ended, I came home and we all had dinner together. After dinner, I went to the library. Every week, I had "daddy and me" time with each girl (I have all girls) individually. We would go to starbucks or the diner and I would have a coffee and they a milk and I would let them direct the conversation. Sometime they would have a lot to say and other times they just wanted to color and have my company but they had my exclusive attention. It was something they each looked forward to it. To this day, they still want their "daddy and me" time and are always asking for it. Even my 15 year old enjoys it.

Since money was tight, we would do things at the public library together. Lego club was great time. Parks, walks, etc. it helps with the decompression of the brain

Reactions: 7 users
If I get in, my kids will be 5 and 4. Not worried about the time commitment. I missed half of the first year of my eldest daughter's life thanks to deployment, and we're fine. In fact, we have an incredibly strong bond because of it. I'm also gone for duty once or twice a week for 30-36 hours, and the kids are fine with it.

Last edited:
Every day. I treated medical school like work. After classes ended, I came home and we all had dinner together. After dinner, I went to the library. Every week, I had "daddy and me" time with each girl (I have all girls) individually. We would go to starbucks or the diner and I would have a coffee and they a milk and I would let them direct the conversation. Sometime they would have a lot to say and other times they just wanted to color and have my company but they had my exclusive attention. It was something they each looked forward to it. To this day, they still want their "daddy and me" time and are always asking for it. Even my 15 year old enjoys it.

Since money was tight, we would do things at the public library together. Lego club was great time. Parks, walks, etc. it helps with the decompression of the brain

Thank you EMT2ER-DOC. I worked on a 9-11 ambulance for 6 years as a paramedic. Working between 72-96 hours a week on the ambulance we are used to needing to schedule time wisely. Right now we do a similar thing. Once a week my daughter and I have a date and my son and I set time aside for basketball or playing catch or something. Both 1 on 1. I was just worried that would not be as easily done while in med school.I work nights in the ER as a tech and go to school during the days so time is still tight. I like the idea of making sure dinner is a priority and I appreciate your response. That does help.

If I get in this cycle, my son will be 24, almost 25 (and.... he's a premed now too; funny that ;) )

How did that affect financial aid for you both?

I hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack, but did you/do you plan to discuss parenthood in your apps or during interviews? For those of you that did, how was that received?

Specifically, I'm thinking in the context of essays that ask how you will contribute to the diversity of the class (as opposed to woe is me, my bad grades are my kids' fault). I think dealing with kids and parenthood is a valuable diversity factor, but it doesn't matter what I think. How have your experiences been?

To answer the OP, if I get in next cycle, three under 5.

I hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack, but did you/do you plan to discuss parenthood in your apps or during interviews? For those of you that did, how was that received?

Specifically, I'm thinking in the context of essays that ask how you will contribute to the diversity of the class (as opposed to woe is me, my bad grades are my kids' fault). I think dealing with kids and parenthood is a valuable diversity factor, but it doesn't matter what I think. How have your experiences been?

To answer the OP, if I get in next cycle, three under 5.

Parenthood, especially as a young mother was a big part of many of my interview conversations. I had my first child in high school and second in college (just graduated, so they are little ones).

Every single interviewer has asked many questions about parenting, working, and going to school at the same time. Some interviews we talked about parenting in a culture different than the one I was raised (immigrant), some talked about difficulties of parenting, cultural issues, lessons I would teach them and in general being a role model, financial stressors being a provider, etc. etc.

I didn't write about being a parent in diversity prompts because I had many other things to discuss and I discussed a bit of my first pregnancy in my PS.

How was it received... I'd say well. I never brought it up myself, but it was usually the very first question and the rest of the conversation took a natural course. I never went with a woe is me because that just isn't who I am.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile