soooo...low gpa's...there any way around it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kilgore

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to BCPM gpa and overall gpa, which is more heavily weighted...i know dumb question. I've pretty much gotten B's on all my pre-req courses so my BCPM gpa is pretty low, but my overall gpa isn't quite so bad. Have any of you had any luck in getting in with a low bcpm gpa? I'm still debating whether or not to continue applying next year or just do something else with my life. Blah...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say BCPM is more weighted. If that's low you'll need a high MCAT to prove u know your stuff in the basic sciences.

Kilgore said:
In regards to BCPM gpa and overall gpa, which is more heavily weighted...i know dumb question. I've pretty much gotten B's on all my pre-req courses so my BCPM gpa is pretty low, but my overall gpa isn't quite so bad. Have any of you had any luck in getting in with a low bcpm gpa? I'm still debating whether or not to continue applying next year or just do something else with my life. Blah...

Both count. The way around a low GPA is to take more classes for A's, either in additional undergrad, or in some form of (informal or open enrollment) postbac where you take more sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
darn...knew you would say that....well just for clarification...what gpa's do they actually look at?

Kilgore said:
darn...knew you would say that....well just for clarification...what gpa's do they actually look at?

Depends on the school. Go look at the MSAR or the school websites to see what is the average for their class. Most of them are around a 3.5.

Depakote said:
Anyway around it?

Well you could try sleeping with the individual members of the adcom. Not saying it would work, but hey, at least you got some action. :D

If you take this route, you better be good. None of this wham bam ... ooooops! Uh ... I'm just nervous ... really!

No big O, No acceptance. Its up to you, you have 1 hour to complete your assignment. If you do not achieve the required result using the full time alloted you will be automatically rejected. :scared:

Law2Doc said:
If you want in at a school you do it the adcom's way. :laugh:

Darn it Law2Doc, why do you have to go and bust my interview bubble. :thumbdown:

"Got my technique down and everything. Aint be tickling or nuthen."

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haemulon said:
If you take this route, you better be good. None of this wham bam ... ooooops! Uh ... I'm just nervous ... really!

*nods*
the secret is to avoid being nervous

Oculus Sinistra said:
*nods*
the secret is to avoid being nervous

Like my Dad taught me:
If you need to go longer, think about baseball.
If you need to go shorter, think about woman’s gymnastics

DoctorNick83 said:
Like my Dad taught me:
Um, somehow learning these skills from your father disturbes me a little bit. :scared:

DoctorNick83 said:
Like my Dad taught me:

My dad would totally say something like that.

DoctorNick83 said:
Like my Dad taught me:

Is your dad Tom Leykis? :D

Law2Doc said:
You wouldn't be the one whamming and bamming -- you'd just be assuming the position.

HAAAAHHAHHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :laugh:

what's a high MCAT though? seem like almost all school between 20-50 have like 32-34 average. Getting beyond require quite an effort

Pinkertinkle said:
I'd say BCPM is more weighted. If that's low you'll need a high MCAT to prove u know your stuff in the basic sciences.

NewKidin2block said:
what's a high MCAT though? seem like almost all school between 20-50 have like 32-34 average. Getting beyond require quite an effort

35 or above would be nice.

Yeah I think I'de define a "good" score as 30 and a "high" score as 35. 37 is "money" and 40 is "g-money", according to the AAMC.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Yeah I think I'de define a "good" score as 30 and a "high" score as 35. 37 is "money" and 40 is "g-money", according to the AAMC.

so 80% of the people who take the MCAT get a "bad" score? :confused:

MiesVanDerMom said:

Only 50% (maybe less) of the people taking the MCAT get into med school. So, on a population basis (there are individual exceptions, of course) the bottom 50% have almost no prayer. Of the remaining 50%, 40% have great scores (can go where they please) and 60% have adequate scores and will get in somewhere.

Kilgore said:

I'm pretty much in your boat; my basic science grades were mediocre, but my non-science grades were excellent, and I also had a 3.65 average in my upper level biology courses, and a nearly 3.8 my last two years of undergrad. I just took the MCAT yesterday, so I dunno what'll come of that yet, but I think you're ok as long as you pick up your grades in upper level classes, do well on MCAT, and distinguish yourself in the rest of your app.

As for doing something else with your life, I'm getting a profitable master's degree before applying for med schools, just in case things don't work out :cool:

MiesVanDerMom said:

They say that the average overall on the MCAT is a 25, but most of the people who score below that don't even bother applying. According to the latest data, the average MCAT of applicants is 27.5, while the average for matriculants (ie., those who get in) is 30.2.

MiesVanDerMom said:

"Bad" as in under 30??...because I know many people who have made it into med school with under 30, even mid 20's. But then everything else on your app has to be real solid to compensate I guess.

polycon7 said:
"Bad" as in under 30??...because I know many people who have made it into med school with under 30, even mid 20's. But then everything else on your app has to be real solid to compensate I guess.

Taking each of the 3 (or 4) scores separately, the percentile range of each score should include or be above the 50th percentile. A score above 30 is usually ok, scores <24 are often inadequate.

To the OP

An excellent test taker who does not do well with the day-to-day work can excel on the MCAT but not be a good risk for med school. Therefore, the adcom looks at both grades & scores (otherwise, the scores, being the same test for everyone would be a more equitable comparision of the pool).

If your academic record does not reflect the ability to do well in the classroom, you need to make up that deficiency with additional classes demonstrating your ability.

In some cases, poor undergrad records reflect serious illness that resulted in grades of F (too late to withdraw or take an incomplete), or an initial lack of focus that was made up later with greatly improved classroom performance. Other low gpas (2.9-3.1) reflect a B- to B+ range of grades earned in engineering classes (notorioiusly difficult at many schools). Adcoms will take these situations into account.

LizzyM said:
If your academic record does not reflect the ability to do well in the classroom, you need to make up that deficiency with additional classes demonstrating your ability.

So, do you think that admissions committees in general would consider a master's program in the sciences a good way to make up that deficiency (assuming cases in which a post-bac is not appropriate)?

many thanks for all the words of wisdom...i only hope i can pull up my grades and perform well on the mcat...and i s'pose if all else fails, i can always charm the adcom with my girlish good looks and dazzling smile...:laugh:

defrunner said:
So, do you think that admissions committees in general would consider a master's program in the sciences a good way to make up that deficiency (assuming cases in which a post-bac is not appropriate)?

Grad inflation at the grad level is so profound that it is hard to determine if the grad student who did poorly as an undergrad has the "right stuff". Sometimes additional undergrad courses (upper level) is what it takes.