SOP Combined PhD (Clin,Coun, School) and for counseling program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

int2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for guidance ,

I am having hard time writing (drafting) a convincing (sensible) SOP for a combined program I am excited about. I feel I am lacking focus and ending up sharing my interests in each and everything the program has to offer . Somehow I am unable to justify why combined programs interests me more over the other ones . I know , I feel more comfortable in learning from a combined program , getting myself trained initially in the main reals and gradually making a place for what , I should see myself doing .

Secondly what should be the focus when I am writing SOP for a counseling program . I have had clinical psychology background and received training in Psychotherapy (CBT and eclectic) and Psychological testing . As I see (assume) the counseling programs are not looking much for the kind of clinical research one has done , so what should be my focus .

Please share your ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Google SOP examples? Your first question is kind of hard to follow, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You , glad you mentioned that the first question is difficult to follow .

So I am planning to apply to this combined clinical/counseling/school Psy PhD prog. But I am confused , what should i write in my SOP. So I should write about all three , will it show lack of focus?How should I present my interests.

Thank You , glad you mentioned that the first question is difficult to follow .

So I am planning to apply to this combined clinical/counseling/school Psy PhD prog. But I am confused , what should i write in my SOP. So I should write about all three , will it show lack of focus?How should I present my interests.

Your SOP is all about selling yourself in general and why you're a good fit for the program. Talk about how your interests align with those of the program in general and any particular professor(s) whose research/writings are of interest to you. Also I only have heard of combined Clinical/School PsyD programs, (Yeshiva, James Madison, Kean...there may be others) so I would make sure to double check all of your facts as to how the program defines itself - a combination of all three programs does not exist to my knowledge, at least not any APA approved one.