SOP woes (bonus: application anxiety!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankieJane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my application is due on Tuesday at midnight. I'm applying to Memorial in Newfoundland for the PsyD.

(Oh and in case you want to know: Undergrad GPA 4.0, currently doing honours thesis, GRE (old format) V: 630 Q: 640)

Anyways, this program requires two separate statement of interests, and I'm having so much trouble with the second one! The first one was a 500 word statement listing why I wanted to become a clinical psychologist and what career goals I had in mind. I think I did pretty well writing that one. I spent all my time on it.

Now I'm scrambling to write the second one, only have a couple of days to do it, and it is sounding SO immature and naive and uninformed. This one doesn't have a word-count specification, and it's supposed to be about why the program is a good fit for me, and what my specific research interests are. I've listed my research interests and some potential research projects, but I can tell that I just sound really clueless.

How informed and specific should my research goals be? Is it okay if they are kind of vague (and flexible?). Should I be familiar with the literature surrounding my potential topics? Ex: One of my POIs (who I haven't even contacted yet!) is interested in eating disorders, and I can't come up with anything of value to say about what aspect of eating disorders I would like to research.

I know I've left this too late. A lifetime of being positively reinforced for procrastination has ruined me. Is there any hope left for this?

Members don't see this ad.