SOPHAS GPA calculation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thoroughly confused by the SOPHAS explanation of how they calculate GPAs.

I did my undergrad and am doing my MSc at a Canadian institution and my university uses the following scale:

%/letter grade/GPA (on 10 scale)
>=90%/A+/10
85-<90/A/9
80-<85/A-/8
75-<80/B+/7
70-<75/B/6
65-<70/C+/5
60-<65/C/4
etc.

I've always went by the following Canadian medical school GPA conversion table to translate my 10 point scale GPA into a 4 point scale:

10=4
9=3.9
8=3.7
7=3.3
6=3
etc.

Is this how SOPHAS will calculate the GPA? Also, the way they word it confuses me, but do they actually "standardize" your GPA when they convert it in the sense that they will account for grade inflation/deflation, etc from various schools, or do they just simply mean that, say, if you have a 10 point scale, they will standardize it into a comparable 4 point scale?

Thanks for the help!

Here's the SOPHAS page I was looking at:
https://portal.sophas.org/applicants2008/faq/coursework.shtml#fourteen

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am thoroughly confused by the SOPHAS explanation of how they calculate GPAs.

I did my undergrad and am doing my MSc at a Canadian institution and my university uses the following scale:

%/letter grade/GPA (on 10 scale)
>=90%/A+/10
85-<90/A/9
80-<85/A-/8
75-<80/B+/7
70-<75/B/6
65-<70/C+/5
60-<65/C/4
etc.

I've always went by the following Canadian medical school GPA conversion table to translate my 10 point scale GPA into a 4 point scale:

10=4
9=3.9
8=3.7
7=3.3
6=3
etc.

Is this how SOPHAS will calculate the GPA? Also, the way they word it confuses me, but do they actually "standardize" your GPA when they convert it in the sense that they will account for grade inflation/deflation, etc from various schools, or do they just simply mean that, say, if you have a 10 point scale, they will standardize it into a comparable 4 point scale?

Thanks for the help!

Here's the SOPHAS page I was looking at:
https://portal.sophas.org/applicants2008/faq/coursework.shtml#fourteen

they won't account for grade inflation/deflation. by "standardize," they mean they will scale it to their 4-point scale.

the scale is given there in the link they provided and you have no way of knowing of the judgment they will use for varoius scales (other than calling and asking).

they might do this:
10, 9 = 4.0
8 = 3.7
7 = 3.5

and so on...the scale is right there.

keep in mind some schools require to submit a foreign transcript evaluation so you will need to send sophas this in addition to a regulat transcript.

Thanks for the clarification LeafsFan!