Sophia Yin, Veterinarian and Behaviorist, Dies at 48

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhtsThFrequency

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How terrible. I don't know what she was going through, but she was such a wonderful and intelligent person. I hope whatever plagued her is now done and she can be at peace. Sometimes the people most invested in animals emotionally have the hardest time.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/Animal-Behaviorist-Sophia-Yin-Dies-at-48/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard about this today. That's so sad. She was an amazing person, and helped a lot of people and animals with her work. I hope she's in a better place and at peace now.

So incredibly sad and heartbreaking. My clinic back home used her books like they were the bible. Definitely a sobering reminder that mental health awareness in our profession is absolutely necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
She was one of my heroes :( Such a loss for the community

Things like this keep happening and it is so terribly sad. What can we do as a profession to raise awareness and help those battling mental Illness?

Things like this keep happening and it is so terribly sad. What can we do as a profession to raise awareness and help those battling mental Illness?
I'm wondering the same thing. As someone who struggles with mental illness myself (major depression, anxiety and OCD), this is a real issue with the veterinary field. Something really needs to be done. I think that it needs to start with general public education. The stigmatized view that most people have of these sorts of problems makes them that much harder for people going through depression, etc. Of course these things happen to people of all lifestyles, but the sheer number of veterinarians that I hear about with mental health problems is terrifying.
This news is so sad. T&Ps to her family and friends.

Oh wow...I didn't realize is was suicide. May her soul be at rest. What a tragic loss.

This is such a huge loss to the science community. She brought so much to the field of animal behavior, and her seminars were amazing. She was such a bright spark and was able to light up any room. My heart breaks for her friends and family, her colleagues and for our community. However, I am so thankful for what she gave to behavior science. Not only did she improve current veterinary medicine in the clinical setting, but she gave us an invaluable foundation on which to base our further research.

She will be missed.

R.I.P.