leeyuhang

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and I've decided to post my stats and receive some advice as to what I should do in the next couple of years to strengthen my application. I've already learned alot from everyone here so I'm giving my thanks in advance.

As for the end of winter quarter I have a 3.45 overall and a 3.62 science, but I have 2 c's so far in my transcript and I am very worried about that. How much does a grade like that matter? one of them is from last quarter (upper division econ) and another from freshmen year (writing) although there has been a strong upward trend since freshmen year. (first 2 quarters overall = 2.9)

i currently have 3 summers of research experience in the plant biology department at stanford with 2 poster presentations
I've been doing research at my current school ucsd since beginning of this year and I will be doing a summer program with funding from american health association. and I'll also be traveling to china during the end of summer to shadow various departments at a general hospital there.

My question is what kind of specifics would help me become competitive for a california school. My goal would be to stay in san diego but I know that is it very difficult.

I plan to join a volunteer club sometime to gain various volunteer experiences, already applied for the local hospital volunteering, and I also have setup research in a different lab during my junior year. hopefully I'll be able to pull up my grades to around a 3.6overall by the end of junior year and take my mcat then.
mcat's I'll obviously aim for a 35+... but I haven't prepared at all for that as of yet, so that's a tossup. My sat was 2280 do you think the preparation is somewhat similar for these kind of tests?
I've also considered graduating at the end of my junior year and getting a masters at ucsd first to gain more experience and raise gpa. would that be a better option?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thank you

oh and i guess hobby wise i surf and played rugby during my freshmen year not that it seems very important?

Last edited:

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The 2 C's are nothing to worry about and your GPA right now is not bad at all. however, in order to assume you will be competitive for UC schools, you have to continue pushing hard for the rest of undergrad. i'm not 100% sure about this, but graduate GPA is also calculated separately from undergrad GPA. Therefore, there is no real rush to finish your degree early. Whether or not you should pursue a masters should probably consider more than medical school.

there is no real correlation between SAT and MCAT. The best way to evaluate your chances are by taking practice tests that most closely simulate the test and the testing conditions. GPA also doesn't seem to be a really good indicator as I've heard many people with high GPA's score abysmal MCAT scores. Keep in mind, the MCAT's importance to medical school is like SAT 1 + SAT 2 + AP Tests to colleges. It is the only standardized test you take to apply to medical school and most people only take it 1-2 times, so it's importance should not be underestimated.

in terms of research experience, you're way ahead of most other people and the UC's love research. I'm curious, though, how do you have 3 summer's worth if you're only a sophomore? You mean 3 quarters?

you also seem to be on track with clinical experience. Most people do get 100+ hours of volunteering in some sort of health care setting. What is also recommended but much harder to find is shadowing. Shadowing is much different from volunteering in that you can observe and ask questions. 60-100 hours there is a good number to ask for.

beyond that, non-medically related community service, leadership, teaching, and hobbies are also good to have. leadership and teaching most people know where to find. non-medically related community service and hobbies, though, can really be a lot of things. You can be very creative about how you want to go about it. Obviously, try to find stuff you enjoy.

how much of this stuff you need to squeeze in depends on your time table for applying to medical school. no matter what, though, focus on your grades and the MCAT. Don't take on too much you can't chew.

leeyuhang

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
well I really enjoy research and learning about that sort of stuff.
i started doing the summer programs since junior year of high school so that's 3 summers
junior senior 1st year of college
and i have 2 quarters here at ucsd and continuing into next quarter and summer.

are the c's really nothing to worry about? is it because they aren't sciences?