Sophomore Biology Major. 3.25 GPA. OK EC's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrh2132

Pre-Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I am a Sophomore with a 3.25 GPA aspiring to be a MD (but DO is just as good). I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I am studying right now and feeling pretty confident. My freshman year was pretty rough and I just couldn't bring myself to ask for help so I got 5 C's (in Gen Chem 1 and 2, Introductory Biology 2, and Calc 1 and 2) (not to mention I didn't know how to study). Last semester I got all A's and a B. This semester I am in Organic Chem 1, Genetics, and some of my liberal arts essential classes and am rocking my classes. If I get all A's this semester I will have a 3.38 GPA, and I plan on working my way up to a 3.5 (hard but I believe in myself). Here are my EC's:

- [RA] Resident's Assistant (1 year)
- RA of the month (award)
- Over 90+ Community Development Hours
- 62 hours shadowing General Practitioner (D.O.) (during High School)
- 48 hours shadowing Surgical Physician (M.D.) (during Undergraduate)
- Wrote Grant and served as Chair for Campus wide event that resulted in 1/5 of campus in attendance
- Event of the semester (award)
- Eagle Scout
- 98 hours general service
- Membership in Service Organization (first three semesters)
- Pledge trainer for pledge class (Spring 2016)
- Pledge President (Fall 2015)
- Membership in Political Group
- Acceptance into Summer (early college) SPECTRA scholars program (2015)
- AMSA membership

BTW: I am also a Biology major, Political Science minor.

Obviously with my GPA I am really nervous, and could really use some moral support. I don't know who to turn to ask these questions, but is there anyone out there who might of been in my shoes? How do I get my act together? Does it sound like I'm doing pretty okay so far? What are some things I should be doing or improving on? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have time to improve your GPA. Try to get all As from this point forward!

Reactions: 1 users
You're a sophomore so you certainly still have a shot. With that said, what you do in the next 12-18 months will be the deciding factor for getting accepted (especially MD). A 3.25 GPA and several Cs in key pre-requisite courses is not good but many schools really appreciate the "upwards trend" angle so if you can get mainly As with a few Bs from here on out to bring up the GPA and do well on the MCAT you're fine. You already have some good ECs but continue to get clinical experiences and you should have a shot at MD schools and certainly DO schools.