[Sophomore +] How many of you work and maintain a 3.5+ GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[Sophomores+] Do you work and maintain 3.5+ GPA?

• No, I don't work. (If you work less then 10hours a week, it's not a real job)

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Yes. 10-20 hours a week

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Yes. 20-30 hours a week.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Yes. 30-40 hours a week.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yes. Full time worker (40+ hours a week)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to how many of you (sophomore +) work part time and maintain a 3.5+ GPA.

I'm currently a sophomore and have 3.7 GPA, and work 30 hours a week.
It's seriously killing my sleep+study+social life.

Do you plan on quitting or working less when you are in last 2 years of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Curious as to how many of you (sophomore +) work part time and maintain a 3.5+ GPA.

Do you plan on quitting or working less when you are in last 2 years of undergrad?

give up 1, I worked until senior year and then went all out

Yeah--I made the mistake of working during undergrad. It has definitely left me in a VERY financially well off position but my GPA took a hit.

If you can time manage--do it. If not, don't make the same mistake as me and work + school. Though I guess it also depends on your course load. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah--I made the mistake of working during undergrad. It has definitely left me in a VERY financially well off position but my GPA took a hit.

If you can time manage--do it. If not, don't make the same mistake as me and work + school. Though I guess it also depends on your course load. Best of luck!

Thanks. Ya, I think I'll be quitting or working less then 20 hours a week starting spring.

Ill be working 25-30 hours next year while taking physics and organic chemistry. I am contemplating quitting but I really like making money...:laugh:

i work 4 hours a week but the commute and preparation make it an 8 hr/wk commitment. that's not a big commitment but it's time i could be doing other things.

When I started school I was in a management position working 45-50 hours a week. Halfway in the year I demoted myself within the company and now work 30-35 hours (crammed into three days so I have four days off).

GPA is nearly a 3.8, but I was killing myself. Still am kinda. :(

I worked about 30-40 hours per week during freshman & sophomore years, my GPA was 2.8. My junior, senior, and super senior years I worked between 10-15 hours per week and maintained a 4.0.

No, I didn't have as much money but I just cut back on things that I really didn't need. Besides, having that 4.0 was wayyyy better than anything money could buy.

I worked full time working nights while taking a full load including clubs, volunteering, and research. I fell asleep one night and got fired. It was bound to happen. Take care of yourself and do anything you can to stay motivated and keep your GPA high. That might mean cutting some ECs.

I work under 20 hours per week, but virtually all of my paycheck goes into a small-cap indexed stock portfolio. It's not particularly difficult to maintain a good GPA while working. You just have to manage your time well. Yes, your social life will take a hit but you can always catch up with friends on weekends.

I also was working a lot my first year... I have increased the number of class units as time goes on but decreased the number of hours I work. Right now, I feel I have good balance, 18hr of work per week, 15+ class units, research and time to hang out with my girl. I plan to quit working for the MCAT though....