Sophomore seeking application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desperadoflakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the most important things I can do to strengthen my application from here on out?

It looks like your most important area to improve will be to continue your upward GPA trend and do well on the MCAT. It sounds like you have worked out whatever issues you had Freshman year and found out what works for you. This is great and shows lots of maturity.

Your EC's look great. Definitely continue what you are doing but you will want to be sure to get some clinical experience in there as well as potentially find a doc to write you a LOR along the way. You are only a sophomore so you have time to do this but try not to put it off, application time will sneak up on you!

Survivor DO

Thanks for the positive advice, it's refreshing to hear that I'm on the right track. I'll definitely work hard to get some hospital clinical experience, as well as private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have some really strong ECs. I predict a very interesting packet.

The key thing is to show altruism, leadership and patient contact experience. Maybe add a medical mission, Habitat for Humanity, or be really daring and try the Peace Corps! I like the Teach for America idea.

What are the most important things I can do to strengthen my application from here on out?
What are the best things that I can use a gap year for? (currently considering Teach For America out of genuine interest, not resume padding)

Yup..especially re-take any science Cs. Show us that first year was a fluke.

Should I retake the classes I got C's in? What classes would be best for me to take (and get an A in) to assuage worries about those C's?

I'd say bone up on the sGPA. Do the philosphy only if you truely love it.

I'm 9 credits away from finishing a minor in philosophy. Is it even worth it (application diversity?), or should I rather spend those credits/time getting my sGPA up?

Thanks for the comforting advice Goro. I was on the fence about the C's, but I'm pretty resolved in retaking them by now.
Do you think that, given my B and B- in Calc I & II, it would be beneficial for me to take and get an A in Calc III? Would that make up for the sub-par grades in the first two calcs?

Let me know what you think, and thanks again for the positive advice.

I'm 9 credits away from finishing a minor in philosophy. Is it even worth it (application diversity?), or should I rather spend those credits/time getting my sGPA up?
A higher BCPM/sGPA would be of more value to your application, but if you haven't, taking a class in Bio-Medical Ethics would serve you well. Adcomms won't care if you have a stated minor.

Do you think that, given my B and B- in Calc I & II, it would be beneficial for me to take and get an A in Calc III? Would that make up for the sub-par grades in the first two calcs?
I think that the B and B- are fine. No need to take Calc III unless you want to for its own sake.

Thanks for the advice. You're right, I will likely not finish my philosophy minor, but do plan on taking a class on ethics. Instead of Calc III I will likely take biostatistics because I expect that would serve a greater benefit to my career. I appreciate the perspective.