Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Sophomore Summer.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Tawantinsuyu, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Tawantinsuyu

Tawantinsuyu Guest Banned 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What do you think would be the best way to spend my summer if I'm pre med? Not sure if I'm going to be taking the MCAT next year. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to check boxes, but my job options are...
    a. Pool lifeguard, Probably would have extra time to volunteer in the hospital
    b. Ocean lifeguard
    c. Try and get a research position in a lab
    d. Get a paid position in a hospital as a transporter or something

I think I'd enjoy doing any of these, but which do you think will benefit me most in the long run in terms of med school?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    c or d

4. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I did research, volunteered at a hospital, and studied for the MCAT. Just do something meaningful that will keep you busy.

5. Gregor Wiesmann

Gregor Wiesmann

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Any of those should be fine, just don't do what I did.......Summer OChem is not fun.

6. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    If you are in a position to take the MCAT, definitely study for and take the MCAT.

7. soccerusa

soccerusa 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Try and get a research position. If this cycle has taught me anything, it is how much productive research is valued at the more competitive schools.

8. Omppu27

Omppu27 El Tiburon 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What do you think you'd enjoy the most? Which of these experiences have you had the least about of exposure to?

I think at least having exposure to research is something you should do just so you know sorta how it all works. However, I think getting clinical position is most important (EMT, nursing aid, or maybe even a PT aid). It really surprises me how many of the applicants can decide that they want a career treating patients with only doing around 100 hrs of patient contact experience (I never could...).

About the ads