Sorry for another one of these, but what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Yap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say you're probably okay! Good stats and applying to 7 schools you'll probably get in but you might want to add some safe schools... 3-5 more maybe? Especially since, as you mentioned, UNC is a tough one and if I remember correctly MD and UConn are as well (could be wrong). The last thing you want is to be applying again next year. It looks like you're trying to stay on the East Coast, preferably the South, so what about Louisville for instance?

Reactions: 1 users
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Private schools are safe, such as marquette and roseman. I'd add those to your list.

No really, I'm positive you'll get in. Don't worry about that. It's funny because no schools are really "safe" IMO. I applied to 14 and got 10 interviews but some of the ones I thought I'd get into FOR SURE I didn't even get an interview to. It's a crazy game and you really never know. On the other hand, some schools seemed great and I was so stoked heading to the interview and I got there to find an old school with nothing remarkable about it. Even the students told me to go elsewhere. That's why I would apply to more... What if that happens to you and you only get into two of those schools and you end up hating them both? It's a fluke but it can happen. If you apply to more you spend some more money and more time now but come December YOU will then be in a position to choose instead of being at the mercy of the dental schools. You can choose a school that is cheaper, better, more fun, better location etc. because you applied to more. Just my opinion. I'm from the West do I don't really know that region well but you could consider some of the Florida schools, MW Illinois, Case Western, Temple? Just a few that come to mind.

With that DAT AA, odds are good. However, your GPA, while also decent, indicates that the goods may be odd. How are you planning on "selling" your transcript/school experience?

-

Last edited:
With that DAT AA, odds are good. However, your GPA, while also decent, indicates that the goods may be odd. How are you planning on "selling" your transcript/school experience?

GTFO-downvote-spay-modern-family-jay-sprays-manny-ed-oneill-rico-rodriguez.gif

His GPA is perfectly fine, he doesn't need to sell anything.

Reactions: 7 users
-

Last edited:
I think you will be just fine! You have good stats! If you have time, just get some more shadowing hours done. Aim to do at least 30 more so you hit that 100 mark. Then just email the school's admissions as you perform more shadowing hours each week so they can get familiar with your name and know you have been doing more as each week or so goes by. I have been told schools look highly on that since you are getting a lot of time with the dentist and seeing how they interact with patients and how dentists are different. For example, I shadowed a dentist who was older and naturally very old school and in the same office a younger dentist who was all about the new technology available. It gives you interesting perspective on different approaches the dentists of different generations had and I was able to talk about it in the interview I landed last cycle.

Thanks! I will try to find more hours. Do schools actually like if you email them all the time? I figured I would just bring up stuff like that in an interview if it came up. But again, thank you so much!

Lol if that happens I would pee my pants. But thanks :)

I mean if not every week then every other week or even like every 10 or 15 additional hours. That is what I was told to just to to stay in good contact. And in your email you could also ask about potential recommendations to further strengthen your application.