Sorry, I know it's been already asked many times...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's been asked many times here, but I couldn't come up with a good answer from search.

When you re-take classes, doesn't AMCAS average the 2 grades (original and re-take)? Someone was telling me that not all schools do so. Which is strange to me since they would have to re-calculate GPA after recieving the AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad.

They always recalculate the GPA. AMCAS doesn't care what your schools report for your GPA. It may be the same, if your school calculates the same way AMCAS does, but that will only be coincidence.

The effect is that they "average" the two classes, but just the same way that they average any two classes with the same number of credit hours. As far as AMCAS is concerned, they're two classes. Ignore the fact that they have the same name, it's not important.

dr.z said:
I know it's been asked many times here, but I couldn't come up with a good answer from search.

When you re-take classes, doesn't AMCAS average the 2 grades (original and re-take)? Someone was telling me that not all schools do so. Which is strange to me since they would have to re-calculate GPA after recieving the AMCAS application.

Amcas will treat the retaken class as just another class, and so your original and retake class will both be part of your GPA, and the effect is that the grade gets averaged (but with double the credit weight). So yes, they recalculate your GPA, and it will likely be a different GPA than your school might use (if they treat retakes differently). DO schools, I believe, let you use the retake grade in lieu of the original, but not allo.