Sorry, I really don't know what to do, need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• University of Southern California

Votes: 88 75.9%
  • McGill University

Votes: 28 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been voting on every single poll of X vs. Y vs. Z so I'm sorry to post mine because I know you guys think it is getting old, but I am really torn so help!

My head says McGill because:
1. My 4 years of med school will cost me 14K total :wow:
2. My family is in Montreal and my sister goes to McGill med. My husband has to stay in the southern US for my first year so I would have a better support system there.

BUT: I didn't fall in love with McGill. It is a prestigious med school and their matchlist is impressive. I didn't really click with the students (rather young and immature I found, but it was a small sample). The facilities aren't great, the weather sucks, and my husband wouldn't be able to be transfered to Canada so he would have to work in upstate NY or Vermont.

My heart says USC because:
1. I absolutely loved the place when I interviewed
2. I love California, especially So. Cal.
3. I loved the students, they were older and more laid back
4. Their matchlist is impressive
5. Brand new LA County in 2007
6. I compete in track so So. Cal. is where you want to be at

BUT: The tuition scares me (39K/year and 54K/year cost of attendance, yikes!), some current students on another thread are saying that the administration isn't very supportive, and certain faculty members don't care about the students.

So, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. If it's any incentive to give me feedback, I withdrew from UAMS and will withdraw from Wake Forest.

Members don't see this ad.

after reading you post, i think u have already decided on where you want/will go and that is USC, congrats on getting in BTW.

abraxas said:
after reading you post, i think u have already decided on where you want/will go and that is USC, congrats on getting in BTW.

Thanks abraxas! :)

USC is where I want to go, but I don't know how I could afford it. Does anybody know what's up with USC's average debt of 109K for its graduate when the cost of tuition has been 37K/year for the last few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
109k in debt isnt your real concern. You're a Canadian citizen, right? Then forget about grants. Your looking at no less than $200k in debt. After completing business school, do you already have a good amount of debt? Nearly $300k in debt will take a long time to pay back. I seriously think you should go to McGill - It's the Harvard of Canada, right?

SanDiegoSOD said:
109k in debt isnt your real concern. You're a Canadian citizen, right? Then forget about grants. Your looking at no less than $200k in debt. After completing business school, do you already have a good amount of debt? Nearly $300k in debt will take a long time to pay back. I seriously think you should go to McGill - It's the Harvard of Canada, right?

I'm a US permanent resident so I am eligible for grants. I was very fortunate to have a graduate assistantship for b school so I'm only $8,500 in debt, most of which was used to finance this application cycle.

There's some debate as to whether or not McGill is the Harvard of Canada. Some argue that U of Toronto is. McGill is a very prestigious institution with a rich history in medicine. Thanks for advice SanDiegoSOD! :)

CanuckRazorback said:
I'm a US permanent resident so I am eligible for grants. I was very fortunate to have a graduate assistantship for b school so I'm only $8,500 in debt, most of which was used to finance this application cycle.

There's some debate as to whether or not McGill is the Harvard of Canada. Some argue that U of Toronto is. McGill is a very prestigious institution with a rich history in medicine. Thanks for advice SanDiegoSOD! :)

Go to USC. You'll be better of career wise. Plus, 75 degrees in January beats the hell out of -40!

I'm a Canadian as well and I would go with USC, even with the 200K bill.

Just my 2 cents worth.

For a rather frivolous reason, however,

say it with me now....

FONDUE

yeah you can totally disregard this post, I'm just being silly. But seriously, where else can you get the most awesome fondue in North America?

PineappleGirl said:
For a rather frivolous reason, however...

Huh?! Do you mean poutine? Montréal's got some good poutine. Probably couldn't find any poutine in all of california.

I'm canadian, and I go to school in the US right now. Go to USC unless you're planning on living in Canada. Also, I think your observation about students being immature and young is right on the money. Canadian-schools are all number-******, without exception. So, a lot of med students are punks right out of undergrad who just had ridiculously high GPAs and MCATs, & no real life experience. I really question the canadian system. Ultimately though, you can't go wrong with either. Congrats :luck:

I'd go to Mc Gill, but that's 'cause I think Canadians are swell.

What is poutine?

Sounds like you are set on USC though. Cali is nice. Good luck.

Mithridates said:
Huh?! Do you mean poutine? Montréal's got some good poutine. Probably couldn't find any poutine in all of california.

Nope, I mean fondue. Although poutine is good, I much prefer fondue. Both of which are much harder to come by in the States than in MTL.

McGill

Have seen the Chair of Med and Surgery give grand rounds and within their lectures they emphasized how much Med Students are integrated into the clinical setting. Good education, nice people.

sunnyjohn said:
What is poutine?
Are you joking? Seriously, you don't really live in montreal do you?

McGill really is a fantastic school, and there is no cooler city in North America than montreal. Especially if you're interested in neurology, wow, what a great place to be. Wilder Penfield is the coolest. :) I guess I'm just a little frustrated about canadian professional school's focus on GPA, and not the individual. I'm sure there's a ton of really great people there.

to the OP: the heart wants what it wants. your heart wants to go to USC. money is swell (hey, i'm definitely a fan of money!), but being happy the next 4 years is also crucial. i don't know about you, but i know i couldn't be counted on to do my best work if i wasn't content with where i was. personally, i passed up a free ride at a school i didn't want to go to because i felt much better at Case (although its almost as expensive as USC). to be honest, i actually would have advised you to go to McGill until i read the bit about your husband having to work in the States. that's a seriously tough road to travel.

i know its tempting to just look at the "bottom line" but do yourself a favor and consider the consequneces of doing so.

anyway, good luck and enjoy--they're both great schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, and just for the record, i would have chosen wake forest over USC (and probably McGill, too). why don't you like WF?

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the feedback!

Poutine is a rather "disgusting sounding" French Canadian dish made of french fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds. The cheese is not cottage cheese of cheetos, it's a white cheese that feels rubbery. I've actually seen some in Seattle and in the northeast. I know it sounds gross, but poutine is exquisite.

Fondue... I haven't had it in the longest time! Chocolate fondue is the best!

I think the issue with your husband is a huge deal. If you go to USC, would he be able to get transfered there? Because on top of how much you love the school, you'd probably be much happier if you could actually live with your husband! That's why I voted for USC. It's a great school. Debt is really intimidating, but almost all of us have to face it. And you'll be in a better position to practice in the US, particularly California!

superdevil said:
oh, and just for the record, i would have chosen wake forest over USC (and probably McGill, too). why don't you like WF?

Thanks for your input Superdevil. I just didn't click at Wake. I can't really put my finger on it, it just wasn't for me. The school was certainly nice and the people I met equally nice, but I didn't think I would be happy there for 4 years.

My husband's job is a factor definitely. McGill is only 60 miles from Plattsburgh, NY and about 70 from Burlington, VT. He could work in Canada since he's also a Canada citizen, but he would lose all his benefits and be considered a new hire since his company does not have expatriate assignments to Canada.

tigress said:
I think the issue with your husband is a huge deal. If you go to USC, would he be able to get transfered there? Because on top of how much you love the school, you'd probably be much happier if you could actually live with your husband! That's why I voted for USC. It's a great school. Debt is really intimidating, but almost all of us have to face it. And you'll be in a better position to practice in the US, particularly California!

My husband is in management with Wal-Mart so they are bending over backwards to send people over to California from Northwest Arkansas (where the corporate headquarter is located). He would be able to get transfered to LA.

My vote's on USC. Go to the school you love and stay close to your husband. Don't let the debt be a deterrent. The important thing is to do well and suceed in med school. You will thrive in an environment that make you happy and have the support system you need (ie your husband). Good luck with your decision!

Mithridates said:
ACK, gag!! ew ew ew! :barf:
i just don't see the attraction :) but maybe that's because i'm from NY.

I would choose the place that is closest to my family. For me, being near my family is a huge factor. Medical school is tough, and I would want as much support around me as possible from family. GL with your decision. :)

CR,

I thought you already came to a decision? In fact, if I recall, you were trying to convince me to attend McGill with you ;)...In my opinion, you need to figure out if spending the extra 200 K is worth it or not...I personally could not justify the extra cost and so will be staying in Canada--but I dont have any familial/spousal ties and enjoy Canada...coming back to the US should not be a concern as McGill has a great match list...

As always, feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about Montreal/McGill....

Another vote for McGill. 200K is a crazy amount of debt to take on when you don't have to. Four years in sweet Montreal isn't a bad thing. You can always move to SoCal for residency or when you are finished. Don't burden yourself this early with that amount of debt for no reason. Plus, McGill is a much better school.

Prag said:
CR,

I thought you already came to a decision? In fact, if I recall, you were trying to convince me to attend McGill with you ;)...In my opinion, you need to figure out if spending the extra 200 K is worth it or not...I personally could not justify the extra cost and so will be staying in Canada--but I dont have any familial/spousal ties and enjoy Canada...coming back to the US should not be a concern as McGill has a great match list...

As always, feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about Montreal/McGill....

Well Prag, that was before I got the call from USC ;)

JDAD said:
Another vote for McGill. 200K is a crazy amount of debt to take on when you don't have to. Four years in sweet Montreal isn't a bad thing. You can always move to SoCal for residency or when you are finished. Don't burden yourself this early with that amount of debt for no reason. Plus, McGill is a much better school.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Well, I decided to go to McGill even though over 75% of you guys think I should go to USC. I was able to discuss things with my husband over the week-end so I finally made a decision. I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback. It was a tough decision, but I am so grateful that I was in a position to have a choice. I wish you guys all the best of luck in your decisions and with waitlist movement.

Cheers! :luck: :luck: :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:

Well, I decided to go to McGill even though over 75% of you guys think I should go to USC. I was able to discuss things with my husband over the week-end so I finally made a decision. I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback. It was a tough decision, but I am so grateful that I was in a position to have a choice. I wish you guys all the best of luck in your decisions and with waitlist movement.

i'm glad you finally decided and are happy. but it's weird that you sweat teh USC thread so much and in the end decided not to go there once you got in.

wonderfun said:
i'm glad you finally decided and are happy. but it's weird that you sweat teh USC thread so much and in the end decided not to go there once you got in.

Well, the thing is that I interviewed at USC in February and didn't get invited for an interview at McGill until mid-March. I got in at McGill in mid-April and that's when I started rethinking my options. Plus, I chatted with financial aid at USC on Friday and that had a huge impact on my decision.

I know I'll probably get flammed for this, but if USC and McGill had the same tuition, I would go to USC. JDAD made an excellent point: Why get into a 250K debt if you don't have to? For some of you youngters on here, graduating at 25 or 26 with that much debt is just fine. I'll graduate at 30 with a husband that will be 35. We will want to start a family and go on with our life.

In the end, I had to overlook what I really wanted and go with the best compromise. Sometimes you have to do what's best for your family, not just what's best for yourself. I am happy with my decision, but I have to admit that I will be thinking about USC when it gets below zero in January. I'll have 5-6 months of electives at McGill and you better believe USC is the first place I will apply to for away electives!

Thanks for the input!

CanuckRazorback said:
Well, the thing is that I interviewed at USC in February and didn't get invited for an interview at McGill until mid-March. I got in at McGill in mid-April and that's when I started rethinking my options. Plus, I chatted with financial aid at USC on Friday and that had a huge impact on my decision.

I know I'll probably get flammed for this, but if USC and McGill had the same tuition, I would go to USC. JDAD made an excellent point: Why get into a 250K debt if you don't have to? For some of you youngters on here, graduating at 25 or 26 with that much debt is just fine. I'll graduate at 30 with a husband that will be 35. We will want to start a family and go on with our life.

In the end, I had to overlook what I really wanted and go with the best compromise. Sometimes you have to do what's best for your family, not just what's best for yourself. I am happy with my decision, but I have to admit that I will be thinking about USC when it gets below zero in January. I'll have 5-6 months of electives at McGill and you better believe USC is the first place I will apply to for away electives!

Thanks for the input!

I coudn't agree with you more. I am in the same situation as you and I made the same decision. Well, except mine was $100,000 additional debt. If you want to have kids (and maybe help them with college) it complicates your decision.

CanuckRazorback said:

Congrats on deciding.
Just think of all the delicious fondue you can now enjoy in MTL. :)