Sorry if this is a somewhat silly question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBAND

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound a bit ridiculous, but in preparation for starting my first year I am not quite sure how to approach taking notes in class. It's not like in undergrad where you get a notebook for each class, because we're all just sitting in on lectures for hours. I'm sure this also can boil down to what works for each individual...any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this may sound a bit ridiculous, but in preparation for starting my first year I am not quite sure how to approach taking notes in class. It's not like in undergrad where you get a notebook for each class, because we're all just sitting in on lectures for hours. I'm sure this also can boil down to what works for each individual...any suggestions? Thanks!

Best advice is to try to talk to students who go to the school you will be attending. They will either tell you to rely heavily on the syllabus, or power points, or only to learn what is mentioned in lecture. For the most part, I think you will be safe as long as you know the syllabus material bc thats usually where they pull exam quest from. But again, it varies with schools and even w/ particular courses w/in a school. Also several schools have notetaking services which allows you to just sit and listen while in class and then be able to get a transcript of what was lectured on.

I basically wrote down everything the lecturer said on the notes we were provided (power points or outlines) -- that includes jokes that I found entertaining. Some of my friends attended every lecture and didn't write anything down, they just listened. I also didn't use the organized note service because I was a compulsive lecture goer, and I trusted my own notes more than someone else's (though sometimes, the lecture was so incomprehensible to begin with I really wish I had the note service to help me decipher those lectures).

It really just depends on your style. In pharm I had system with color coded high lighters for different things and different colored pens. In path I basically just used a yellow high-lighter, black and red pens (with occasionally other colors when necessary -- to color things in or emphasize something a lot).

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends how high tech your school is, but a good percentage of folks take notes on computer these days.

In med school there is no "right way" of doing things -- there is just what works for you and what doesn't. You will have to figure out the former.

Thanks guys, I figured I'll have to figure it out for the most part when I start but I like to go in with some kind of information at least.

I was given some advice about how to study and take notes in med school. I was told to do whatever it was that I did in undergrad if it worked for me. Don't change up your study method if it is good.

In undergrad, I religously went to class and took my own notes and rarely read the text books.

In med school, I tried to subscribe to the note service and not go to class. It failed miserably. I did much better when I attended class and printed out the power points and took my own notes on them. I also found that I had to read a lot of the textbooks (or at least a review book).

I was given some advice about how to study and take notes in med school. I was told to do whatever it was that I did in undergrad if it worked for me. Don't change up your study method if it is good.

In undergrad, I religously went to class and took my own notes and rarely read the text books.

In med school, I tried to subscribe to the note service and not go to class. It failed miserably. I did much better when I attended class and printed out the power points and took my own notes on them. I also found that I had to read a lot of the textbooks (or at least a review book).

Medical school is about doing what works. If attending class, taking notes and reading textbooks get the job done, then do it. There are as many ways to master medical school coursework as there are passing students. Do what works and let the rest go.