Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedoc

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Hey all, I'm posting this under another screenname as to remain totally anonymous. I am in a bit of trouble. Long story short, last night I was intoxicated and was cited for public urination (I was in a dark alley behind a few bars when a police cruiser pulled up out of nowhere). I'm completely freaking out because I'm just about to turn in my AMCAS (3rd time applying). Am I completely screwed here or what? I'm going to see if somehow I can get it expunged from the record, but besides that, what can I do? I really don't want this screwing up my applications.

And please spare me any holier-than-thou "act professional" attitude... I get it, I shouldn't get hammered and pee in dark alleys.

Darkshooter326

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
cheesedoc said:
Am I completely screwed here or what?

If you're asking an opinion, obviously your situation is less than desirable. I am not all too familiar with the legal system, as far as how efficient 'they' are of putting stuff on your record. I also have not had any citations, but, if you have a court date, then i'd think nothing would go onto your record until after your hearing.

Most definitely try and get your record clean, do whatever plea necessary. But if you can't do anything, don't hide anything from med schools, cause that would be worse. Definitely still apply, maybe make some anonymous calls to med schools you aren't applying to and see what they say about the siutation :confused:

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hahaha, sorry, I don't mean to laugh but that was pretty funny dude. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just submit it. Since it's not a felony or an institutional action, you don't need to mention anything about it on the AMCAS. You won't get asked about it on the secondaries, either (at least that's what I believe) unless they ask about misdeameanors, which I seriously doubt they will. Don't stress and just continue on with the rest of your application as normal. This won't hurt you in the long and short run, and while you can try to get it expunged, it really won't matter at this point. It isn't like you robbed anyone or something. There's nothing you can do right now, and the worst thing you can do is to panic. If you were ready to submit, then just go ahead and do it, then do the best you can on the rest of your application.

As for public urination... if you don't get a chance to go to the bathroom before leaving the bar, then next time, just try to find a more inconspicuous place than that. It's really half luck/half common sense anyway. Trust me, you're not the first person to do this and I'm sure the ad-coms have more pressing concerns about everyone's application than worrying about whether this person or that was ever cited for public urination. Again, don't panic.

However, my advice is to try to avoid that kind of situation even more diligently in the future. I'm not sure if this instance shows up on background checks if you undergo any; however, one thing is not a big deal but multiple times is a red flag. Just be careful and keep your nose clean. You'll be fine.

Good luck on your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.