Sorry... Some Silly Questions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I apologize if I am asking mildly ******ed questions. (Considering that I will be a doctor in a few months, I should probably not be asking questions like this :oops:)

It has lately been really cold in my area and I have had to wear a jacket over my suit while I walk from my car to my interview locations. Nonetheless, my jacket is not the traditional black overcoat that everybody seems to be wearing. It is a silver color rainproof jacket. Of course, I remove it as soon as I walk into the hospital but I was wondering, is it a big deal that I am not wearing a dark color jacket? I also have a leather black jacket which is warm and big (not an overcoat) which I got as a gift but I feel like if I wear that to my interview I might look like a gangster. Of course my suit/shirt/tie are all traditional interview attire but I was wondering whether anyone would notice my jacket when I put it next me as I sit down. I have been trying to find an overcoat but they seem to be pretty expensive and I have been so busy lately with interviews. So do you think for now I should keep wearing my silver jacket or switch to my leather black jacket or am I just such an idiot for asking a question like this?

My other question is this. On ERAS, I have put my current med school address as both my current and permanent address (I go to med school in PA). My parents live in northern VA, but the reason that I didn't put their address as my permanent address was that I thought they might move during the application season but as of now (considering the current housing market) no one has offered to buy their house yet. So during interviews I am usually asked where my family is from and of course I tell them. But the other day I realized that they might think it is weird that I didn't put my parents' mailing address as my permanent address. So am I just being paranoid about this too? Does this even matter? No one has ever stopped me to say "wait, why didn't you put your parents' address as your permanent address?". Lately, if I am ever asked about this, I usually say my parents live in VA but that they have been trying to sell their house. But even if they move, they will probably stay close to the D.C. area. I know these are all minor points...

Sorry guys, I guess I should go take some Ativan to stop worrying about silly things.

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I apologize if I am asking mildly ******ed questions. (Considering that I will be a doctor in a few months, I should probably not be asking questions like this :oops:)

It has lately been really cold in my area and I have had to wear a jacket over my suit while I walk from my car to my interview locations. Nonetheless, my jacket is not the traditional black overcoat that everybody seems to be wearing. It is a silver color rainproof jacket. Of course, I remove it as soon as I walk into the hospital but I was wondering, is it a big deal that I am not wearing a dark color jacket? I also have a leather black jacket which is warm and big (not an overcoat) which I got as a gift but I feel like if I wear that to my interview I might look like a gangster. Of course my suit/shirt/tie are all traditional interview attire but I was wondering whether anyone would notice my jacket when I put it next me as I sit down. I have been trying to find an overcoat but they seem to be pretty expensive and I have been so busy lately with interviews. So do you think for now I should keep wearing my silver jacket or switch to my leather black jacket or am I just such an idiot for asking a question like this?

You are not an idiot for asking, but you should have thought about this several months ago.

A silver rain jacket? Yeah, both it and the leather jacket sound pretty unprofessional. I'm not sure what your budget is but have you tried discount stores like Marshalls, Burlington Coats, even Target? You don't have to get a cashmere coat, but there are some reasonably priced ones out there, especially with holiday sales.

My other question is this. On ERAS, I have put my current med school address as both my current and permanent address (I go to med school in PA). My parents live in northern VA, but the reason that I didn't put their address as my permanent address was that I thought they might move during the application season but as of now (considering the current housing market) no one has offered to buy their house yet. So during interviews I am usually asked where my family is from and of course I tell them. But the other day I realized that they might think it is weird that I didn't put my parents' mailing address as my permanent address. So am I just being paranoid about this too? Does this even matter? No one has ever stopped me to say "wait, why didn't you put your parents' address as your permanent address?". Lately, if I am ever asked about this, I usually say my parents live in VA but that they have been trying to sell their house. But even if they move, they will probably stay close to the D.C. area. I know these are all minor points...

Sorry guys, I guess I should go take some Ativan to stop worrying about silly things.

Thanks for your advice!

Yeah, the Ativan sounds like a good idea.

No one is going to care or wonder why you didn't put your parents address as your permanent address.

And if you're looking for cheap and good, try goodwill or salvation army. There are some of those stores that have lovely wool coats for a darn good price. I got a ladies' long blue wool coat for $9. Yes, $9. They even had a london fog coat in several stores (men's and ladies') for about $25.

Thanks Winged Scapula for your advice. Can't speak for others but I have benefited greatly from your comments on SDN.

I knew about all the discount stores you listed, but hadn't really discovered Burlington Coat until now. Marshalls is hit or miss and you can't always find something in a hurry. I ended up visiting Burlington on Sunday and bought an awesome black overcoat. I am pretty tall and this one fit me perfectly. Wasn't cheap but I got a good deal and needed one anyway. I hope that no one really cared about my unprofessional jacket in the two interviews that I wore it to. :xf:

Thanks...

Thanks Winged Scapula for your advice. Can't speak for others but I have benefited greatly from your comments on SDN.

I knew about all the discount stores you listed, but hadn't really discovered Burlington Coat until now. Marshalls is hit or miss and you can't always find something in a hurry. I ended up visiting Burlington on Sunday and bought an awesome black overcoat. I am pretty tall and this one fit me perfectly. Wasn't cheap but I got a good deal and needed one anyway. I hope that no one really cared about my unprofessional jacket in the two interviews that I wore it to. :xf:

Thanks...

Good, I'm glad Burlington worked out for you. Its where I bought a beautiful cashmere coat for a great price.

I wore my black wool overcoat when I was going to cities where it was in the 30s or 40s. But when I went to some places where I knew the temp was going down to the teens with windchill in the single digits, I wore my forest green parka over my suit. Other people's tolerance of extreme cold may be better than mine, but at some point, functional considerations have to rule the day for everyone. :shrug: