Sort of a silly question about using school abbreviations in secondary essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skrolls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would schools look down on using abbreviations of their names (MSU for Michigan State University, Toledo for University of Toledo, MCW for Medical College of Wisconsin, etc.) instead of their full names? Looking to save character space.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it. It was fine. I got interviews at places where I abbreviated.

I used only abbreviations. It would be just plain weird for a medical school to care whether or not you abbreviate their name, as long as your stats are great, your extracurriculars are meaningful, and your essays are well thought out and clearly written.

No one has ever been accepted or rejected based on whether they used a full name or abbreviated name in an essay.

Reactions: 1 user
Look on their websites. They use abbreviations themselves so that was my rationale behind deciding it was fine.

Look on their websites. They use abbreviations themselves so that was my rationale behind deciding it was fine.
Some don't seem to have any preferences. I've resorted to using a full name once and all abbreviations after.

Some don't seem to have any preferences. I've resorted to using a full name once and all abbreviations after.
Some don't seem to have any preferences, which was partially the reason for my post. Just going to use the full name once initially and then abbreviations after.