1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

SOS: Any Americans/US students studying medicine in the UK?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by bonoz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bonoz

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#1 bonoz, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

bump, i would like to know as well

4. bonoz

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Torshi... I'm one of them? Are you one of them?

5. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

Nah, but I'm really trying to look into it. I was thinking of studying medicine in Ireland or UK and actually end up practicing there, but i heard it's hard to get a job or do anything unless your a EU citizen?? Not sure how any of that works.

6. !PsyChirurgus!

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are a non-EU/non-EEA citizen and have completed your primary medical education (MBBS, MBChB) in the U.K. then you can apply for the Tier 4 sponsorship from the UK Border Agency which will make you eligible to apply for the 2-year residency training in the U.K. called the "Foundation Programme (FY1 & FY2)". Your application will be considered on an equal basis with UK and EEA nationals.

I am not sure how it works for the next step of medical training called "Core MedicalTraining/Core Surgical Training". This lasts for 3 years 2 years.

I advise you to contact the GMC UK, UK Foundation Programme, etc. to gain a well-informed decision with this matter.

Hope that helps.

Edit: CMT/CST duration. :p

#5 !PsyChirurgus!, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is how it works now but I wouldn't be surprised it it changes in the next few years. At one point, regardless of where you went to school, if you didn't have an EU passport you couldn't train here. It was changed so you could get visas if you went to school here but weren't from the EU but now we are producing more than enough of our own grads this would be the first group to be excluded Also core training is 2 years, you will then have another 5 or 6 for surgery (not sure about med) and I don't know how easy it would be to get a visa for that.

8. Killer T Cell

Physician 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm an American student doing medicine in the UK. I'm in my final year now, finished Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS and am currently applying for pediatric residencies across America. Getting ready for the migration back home :) It's been a long 4 years, but it's been totally worth it :) Lots of red tape to get through and lots of hoops to jump, but if you know what to expect and prepare in advance, it's not that bad. Anyways, feel free to drop me any questions...finance, USMLEs, electives, curriculum, social life, anything really. More than happy to help...

#7 Killer T Cell, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. Killer T Cell

Physician 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    how did you manage to finance your education?

100% US Federal Loans. Almost all British unis are eligible for US loans, and I used a mix of direct loans and grad plus loans.

How was life in UK as an international?

It's been awesome!! There are so many other internationals here and you will make a lot of lifelong friends. You also get a lot more holidays than US medical schools. Take advantage of the dirt cheap ryanair and easyjet flights. Travel as much as you can....go on a Friday to Bratislava and come back on a Sunday :) All for $100 total!! Go to Soccer games, Cricket games, Olympics, Castles of Scotland...take in as much as you can, because 4 years will fly by in the blink of an eye. Moving to the UK is a bit of a hassle initially, setting up a bank account, getting a cell phone contract etc. But once you've settled in, UK will feel like home away from home :)

Best of luck with your studies! And feel free to ask away....