SOS need pre-dental advice for low GPA: post bacc or masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairydaisy101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I am quite lost in my dental journey and am just trying to figure out a plan, which is leaving me nothing but stressed. I majored in Nutrition and Medical Sciences, so I got all of my pre-req's for dental school out of the way (besides physics II because my major didn't require that). My undergrad GPA is a 2.93, which I know is going to make it more challenging to get accepted into a dental program. One bad semester in my undergrad really plummeted my GPA. I took the DAT once, did not score as high as I wanted/needed so I'm planning on retaking. Since my undergrad GPA is so low, I have been thinking about doing either a post-bacc program or a masters, but I don't know which to do. Any advice for this? What do you think would be more beneficial when I apply to dental school? I haven't applied yet to dental school, so if you have any recommendations on programs to look into, I would be more than happy to check any out! Another thing I did pretty bad in orgo II. Do you think I should retake it at a college near me, along with the physics II I need to complete? Basically just trying figure out a plan that can get me where I want to go.
Also, I will take any advice about the DAT. If any of you have any tips on what you thought helped you the most when studying and understanding the concepts, I would love to know!

Thank you and stay healthy:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

So I am quite lost in my dental journey and am just trying to figure out a plan, which is leaving me nothing but stressed. I majored in Nutrition and Medical Sciences, so I got all of my pre-req's for dental school out of the way (besides physics II because my major didn't require that). My undergrad GPA is a 2.93, which I know is going to make it more challenging to get accepted into a dental program. One bad semester in my undergrad really plummeted my GPA. I took the DAT once, did not score as high as I wanted/needed so I'm planning on retaking. Since my undergrad GPA is so low, I have been thinking about doing either a post-bacc program or a masters, but I don't know which to do. Any advice for this? What do you think would be more beneficial when I apply to dental school? I haven't applied yet to dental school, so if you have any recommendations on programs to look into, I would be more than happy to check any out! Another thing I did pretty bad in orgo II. Do you think I should retake it at a college near me, along with the physics II I need to complete? Basically just trying figure out a plan that can get me where I want to go.
Also, I will take any advice about the DAT. If any of you have any tips on what you thought helped you the most when studying and understanding the concepts, I would love to know!

Thank you and stay healthy:)
masters will give you a separate graduate gpa
post bacc counts as undergrad...

masters will give you a separate graduate gpa
post bacc counts as undergrad...
I know that. I just keep reading pros and cons of doing either, so I wanted to see what the majority thought would be better for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that. I just keep reading pros and cons of doing either, so I wanted to see what the majority thought would be better for me.
that's all you need to know
taking a post bacc can only improve your gpa so much
you need to start over and show the adcoms you an handle upper level schooling...

Ok with a low DAT and low GPA at 2.93, you're going to need to take all your prereqs first and then do a masters to have any realistic chance. And definitely retake the DAT and aim for a 21+.

Reactions: 2 users
I had basically the same stats as you originally. Sub 3.0 GPA, 18 DAT AA, etc. I ended up taking community college classes to raise my GPA up above a 3.0 -- Spring 2016 - Winter 2016. Then I applied to a Biomedical Sciences Master's Program ran through a school that had both Dental and Medical schools on campus -- around February 2017. After I got in, I retook the DAT (after studying like crazy!!) and crushed it (24 AA) -- around May 2017. Applied to dental schools in June of 2017, started my Masters in August 2017, had interviews in September 2017, got accepted to dental school Jan/Feb 2018, and completed my Masters May 2018. Now I'm a D3 and graduate in 18 months!

This is just my path that I took, doesn't necessarily have to be yours. It just worked well for me and it got me to where I wanted to go. I REALLY think the Masters program helped me -- It was way, way harder than Dental School has ever been. Just so much pressure to get A's and B's and not even knowing you're in dental school yet. It was so hard. But I learned a ton about myself, how to study, how to manage courseload, showed Dental Schools that I could handle graduate level work... all that stuff. So yeah, if you're willing to put in the work, I think you can do it. But it's going to take a lot of time and effort, and that's up to you. Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
post bacc will be really good if you do well. 3.5+. Idk your DAT but a 20 + is preferable. I would retake if lower. Covid has me confused on the time frame but many say you still have time to retake DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I had basically the same stats as you originally. Sub 3.0 GPA, 18 DAT AA, etc. I ended up taking community college classes to raise my GPA up above a 3.0 -- Spring 2016 - Winter 2016. Then I applied to a Biomedical Sciences Master's Program ran through a school that had both Dental and Medical schools on campus -- around February 2017. After I got in, I retook the DAT (after studying like crazy!!) and crushed it (24 AA) -- around May 2017. Applied to dental schools in June of 2017, started my Masters in August 2017, had interviews in September 2017, got accepted to dental school Jan/Feb 2018, and completed my Masters May 2018. Now I'm a D3 and graduate in 18 months!

This is just my path that I took, doesn't necessarily have to be yours. It just worked well for me and it got me to where I wanted to go. I REALLY think the Masters program helped me -- It was way, way harder than Dental School has ever been. Just so much pressure to get A's and B's and not even knowing you're in dental school yet. It was so hard. But I learned a ton about myself, how to study, how to manage courseload, showed Dental Schools that I could handle graduate level work... all that stuff. So yeah, if you're willing to put in the work, I think you can do it. But it's going to take a lot of time and effort, and that's up to you. Good luck!
if you don't mind answering, where did you do your masters and where did you end up getting into dental school (congrats btw :))? Also what did you get your GPA up to after taking courses at your community college? and a 24 AA on the DAT....HOW

if you don't mind answering, where did you do your masters and where did you end up getting into dental school (congrats btw :))? Also what did you get your GPA up to after taking courses at your community college? and a 24 AA on the DAT....HOW
I'll DM you

The post bacc will count as undergrad if its done at the undergrad level, if its done at the graduate level then AADSAS will count it as a new GPA for graduate school curriculum. Here’s the thing—I did a post bacc and a MS program. The MS program allowed me to transfer basically all my work from the post bacc and just do a few extra classes and the research portion and they gave me the MS. I would recommend just going straight to a normal MS program. I would recommend a MS in microbiology or neurobiologY. These two programs will more than likely get you taking a lot the prereqs “again” at a graduate level. You can start with a fresh GPA that you aren’t having to pull out of a hole and at the same time prove you are capable of a big workload plus add research hours/experience to your application. I would highly recommend a research based program thesis program though. You would be greatly surprised at how much the lab aspect will develop your understanding of even the most basic sciences and just critical thinking in general.

Reactions: 1 users
Practicing dentist here. I would really look hard at the opportunity-cost of going to Dental School with the added time and frustration of doing an additional MS. IT IS possible for you to get in dental school but at that GPA and even best case scenario you are looking at a Private School which are consistently between 300-450K and probably a 2-4 years of applying, plus whatever you spent in undergrad and maybe 30k for MS program. PLUS interest you will come out with 450K in debt minimum. Dentist do not make that kind of money anymore; average for new dentist is 120-150k a year and average overall is about 180k. There are outliers, but that is all they are. The way to money in dentistry now a days it to live somewhere other dentists wont. So if you want to live near a major city prepare to be middle class at best. Myself, I do well but I am in a very remote area where there are few dentist, that is the only way to do well anymore.

Honestly my advice, is do not become a dentist unless you have a clear path to ownership in an established practice. It is not worth it right now with this level of debt. There are lots of reasons why this once awesome field is getting worn down by insurance companies, attorneys and supply companies.

Do not take my word for it, throw these numbers at a Financial Advisor and he will set you straight.

Reactions: 1 users
Practicing dentist here. I would really look hard at the opportunity-cost of going to Dental School with the added time and frustration of doing an additional MS. IT IS possible for you to get in dental school but at that GPA and even best case scenario you are looking at a Private School which are consistently between 300-450K and probably a 2-4 years of applying, plus whatever you spent in undergrad and maybe 30k for MS program. PLUS interest you will come out with 450K in debt minimum. Dentist do not make that kind of money anymore; average for new dentist is 120-150k a year and average overall is about 180k. There are outliers, but that is all they are. The way to money in dentistry now a days it to live somewhere other dentists wont. So if you want to live near a major city prepare to be middle class at best. Myself, I do well but I am in a very remote area where there are few dentist, that is the only way to do well anymore.

Honestly my advice, is do not become a dentist unless you have a clear path to ownership in an established practice. It is not worth it right now with this level of debt. There are lots of reasons why this once awesome field is getting worn down by insurance companies, attorneys and supply companies.

Do not take my word for it, throw these numbers at a Financial Advisor and he will set you straight.
It is now 400-600k :) Ms are more like 50-100k.

What school did you do your master’s program at?

Would you also DM me(where you did masters, which dental schools you went, and which classes you took during your masters program)? I am in my second semester of Master's in biology right now. I need recommendations in what classes I should take. thanks a ton!

Hi guys!
So my undergrad overall GPA is just below a 3 (2.93), but I'm not too sure about my sGPA. I am taking Physics II right now as a summer course, and am doing very well in it, so that will at least raise my sGPA. I'm looking into doing a 1 year masters to help boost my academic credentials before applying to dental school.
Would the following masters be good to do for dental school?
- Masters in Clinical Research
- Masters of Biotechnolgy
- Masters of Biomedical Science

Also, does it being in-person or being online make a differnce?

Thank you!

Hi guys!
So my undergrad overall GPA is just below a 3 (2.93), but I'm not too sure about my sGPA. I am taking Physics II right now as a summer course, and am doing very well in it, so that will at least raise my sGPA. I'm looking into doing a 1 year masters to help boost my academic credentials before applying to dental school.
Would the following masters be good to do for dental school?
- Masters in Clinical Research
- Masters of Biotechnolgy
- Masters of Biomedical Science

Also, does it being in-person or being online make a differnce?

Thank you!
I was in a very similar position as you not too long ago. I ended up doing a 1 year masters and it's looking like that experience is paying off. Any of those choices would likely be fine, but I would choose biomedical science (in-person).