SOS Section Bank vs Memorizing Content??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totalwaste

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay this probably sounds horrible but pls give your homeboy a chance. My MCAT is in 2 days. As in, in 48 hours I will be done. This probably sounds crazy but I actually have next to nothing memorized. I was going to dedicate today and tomorrow to memorizing everything I need to know (by which I mean major formulas, terminology, pathways, etc.). However, I've read a lot of posts regarding the importance of the section bank. I mean... at this point I only really have time to either go through the section bank (which I haven't attempted at all) or memorize literally everything that's "high-yield". For more background, I got 513 on both of my AAMC FLs and nearly every question I got wrong was related to content (barring CARS of course). So pls any MCAT gurus-- what should I do?? Legitimately freaking out that I might completely bomb the test and have to retake it :'(

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: breathe

Step 2: breathe again

Step 3: breathe

Step 4: realize your FL scores are generally indicative of the real thing

Step 5: rest

Step 6: take the exam, give it your best, and if you feel that on 80% of the passages you were guessing 90% of the time? Void at the end. If you don't feel that way, score it.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: breathe

Step 2: breathe again

Step 3: breathe

Step 4: realize your FL scores are generally indicative of the real thing

Step 5: rest

Step 6: take the exam, give it your best, and if you feel that on 80% of the passages you were guessing 90% of the time? Void at the end. If you don't feel that way, score it.

MANY THANKS guess the best course of action is to stay calm and rely on problem solving more than memorizing

stay calm and rely on problem solving more than memorizing
yep - as I was told once upon a time, "It's a reading test, not a regurgitation of details."

I, too, was starting to think, "Oh @#$p, here I go again" but then a thread stated, "The questions like SB only entail 2 per section." Which is very accurate.

Last year, I thought the test was almost easy. Key word, almost. Yes there were a couple of passages that I remember being a bit more tricky, and one that made me close my eyes, breathe in and out, open them and answer the question. When I did that, the answer was really easy.

Do not overthink the questions. Do not overthink the passages. WHEN you run into polysyllabic jumbled acronyms + numbers + terms remember WE ARE NOT expected to know them but we ARE expected to understand the concept.

If you start to stress, breathe. Just breathe. Close your eyes, take a second, and breathe. Then back at it.

Remember, the right answer is there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yep - as I was told once upon a time, "It's a reading test, not a regurgitation of details."

I, too, was starting to think, "Oh @#$p, here I go again" but then a thread stated, "The questions like SB only entail 2 per section." Which is very accurate.

Last year, I thought the test was almost easy. Key word, almost. Yes there were a couple of passages that I remember being a bit more tricky, and one that made me close my eyes, breathe in and out, open them and answer the question. When I did that, the answer was really easy.

Do not overthink the questions. Do not overthink the passages. WHEN you run into polysyllabic jumbled acronyms + numbers + terms remember WE ARE NOT expected to know them but we ARE expected to understand the concept.

If you start to stress, breathe. Just breathe. Close your eyes, take a second, and breathe. Then back at it.

I'm so glad people like you exist :') thanks again you really helped stave off the incoming mental breakdown that was almost unavoidable. Definitely going to aim for total calmness instead of just confidence on Saturday. You're right, no matter how I look at it, the correct answer is right on the page!

Reactions: 1 users

Taking the MCAT in about 2 hours and this advice will get me through the day.