Sounding Desperate in Letter of Interest/Update Letter

newyorker41789

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2010
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently on two waitlists (possibly 3 next week) and want to send a letter of update/interest to those schools. Does it sound too desperate or looked negatively upon if I put something to the effect of , "This is my second time applying to medical school and I currently hold no acceptances. I am really interested in attending _______ because of all these great things I saw (so on and so on)." in the letter?

Thanks!

theseeker4

PGY 3
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Suburban Detroit, MI
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I am currently on two waitlists (possibly 3 next week) and want to send a letter of update/interest to those schools. Does it sound too desperate or looked negatively upon if I put something to the effect of , "This is my second time applying to medical school and I currently hold no acceptances. I am really interested in attending _______ because of all these great things I saw (so on and so on)." in the letter?

Thanks!
      How would calling attention to the fact that no schools have yet wanted to admit you increase your chances? Send simple updates and expressions of interest, and leave it there. Begging for a pity acceptance doesn't sound like the best strategy.

About the Ads

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 28, 2011
      1. Medical Student

Thanks!

Desperation is always unattractive. In the words of one dean of admissions, "I like people who have lots of other options." Telling them everyone else wait listed you is like telling a potential employer that of the 6 places you've interviewed at all 6 have said they had candidates who were better fits and then expecting they'll be convinced you'd be the best fit for them. Not gonna happen!

MrCheetah

Jan 18, 2010
        1. Medical Student

Thanks!

Hell yes it would. Don't under any circumstances send anything like that.

varsityblue

Lifetime Donor
          Dec 15, 2011
          1. Medical Student
            How would calling attention to the fact that no schools have yet wanted to admit you increase your chances? Send simple updates and expressions of interest, and leave it there. Begging for a pity acceptance doesn't sound like the best strategy.

Totally agree with this. Update them with the exciting stuff you've been up to since they last evaluated your credentials.

Joe the Plumber

Removed
            Mar 24, 2012
            Toledo, OH
            1. Pre-Medical
              Do the opposite. Tell them you've been accepted elsewhere, and they'll be pressured to offer you an acceptance. Do you admit to a hot girl that you can't get any other girl? Or do you say, 'Hey I have girls lined up for days, but I'd rather be with you.'? Think about it man.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.