Sounds I Hate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, you're clever. You'll make a wonderful psychologist.

Not to mention punctual.

Members don't see this ad.

Patients whispering. Bravo on your dramatic rendition of a sickly person, but there are no mics around here so speak up! You know, just almost as loud as you were talking on your cell phone just a second ago.

And the non-sound. "What brings you to the ER today?"
Patient, blank stare.
Helllooooo...anyone home?

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
On another note, the sounds I love:

The sound of a BK-117 on final approach

A-freaking-mazing. We did a hot unload the other day and it was so mother fu*king kick ass cool!:cool::D

Great thread! I'll add a few from the EMS side of things:

1. From SNF nurses: "I just came in, I dont know anything about this patient" or, it's cousin: "This patient just came in, I dont know anything about him."

2. The "aie aie aie" scream (commonly referred to as 'aie-tach') from patients of certain backgrounds in "pain."

3. The sound of air in the belly on ventilations

4. The popping and ripping of c-spine equipment as patients yank themselves free AMA

5. The same basic question, for the 6th time, asked by ED staff in the trauma room after they chose not to listen to my report carefully the first 5 times. (Yelled: "Was there any LOC???")

6. Dispatches for calls such as "chronic illness," "general sick call," "lifeline alert," or "lift assist."

7. Patients on my stretcher 10 minutes from the hospital: "I gotta piss, man! I'm not gonna make it!"

The sound of a BK-117 on final approach

I much prefer the sound of a S-76 on final approach to our pad than that of the BK-117.....so much more force and thunder...much more satisfying.

The voice of one of my compadres when I start a shift " Remember that patient you sent home last night........":eek:

I gotta give it to FISKUS. That's THE worst sound in all of EM.

Oh hell...we had that last week, although it was "remember that patient that so and so sent home an hour ago? well...."

it was for massive epistaxis with an emesis consisting of approx. 1 liter of blood

the beep as I pull up a patients past er visits and two of them are from the past 48 hours
istockphoto_332317_cartoon_turkey.jpg

I hate hearing "I think I am going to die" from some one who likely will, or from someone who likely won't.

"It's an easy admit."

pts hocking up lugars

"We don't have that drug in the Pixus."

My pager going off with "pt is holding on line for you"

"Do you want me to come see the patient?"

"I'm allergic to Motrin, Tylenol, and Ultram"

The Vent sounds.

"We're going to recommend you get an MRI."

My doctor said he would meet me in the ER ( actually happens about 1 out of 150 times)

or

My doctor sent me to the ER to "get some tests" and a "workup"

Me: What kind of a pain is it? Sharp, crampy, squeezing?
Patient: Oh, it's a 10.

"Definitely the worst headache of my life."

"Yeah, I get that sometimes" - in response to 10 of 10 ROS questions.

Also, both the aie-tach and the death rattle posts made me LOL

"I can't afford that medication," from a smoker/cocaine/narcotic user who wants me to figure out how to get them FREE (just like this ER visit!) stool softeners for their narcotic-induced constipation, or free inhalers for their tobacco-exacerbated asthma, etc. (I've found they bristle slightly when you counter with "how do you pay for your cigarettes and cocaine?" Apparently the irony isn't as amusing on the receiving end. Note to self.)

How did we get a Vet and a Psychology student to post on this thread? What search function did they use to find this thread?

Sounds I hate:
I hate the overhead page "medical code to resus now" with 5 min left in the shift. Worse is the same thing 5 min after your shift was supposed to end but your replacement has yet to arrive.

My phone ringing when I am in the middle of dead sleep s/p night shift. Always seems to be someone trying to convince me that I should consolidate my med school loans too. You dumb ****, I consolidated them all at like 2%, you CANT BEAT THAT.

My phone ringing when I am in the middle of dead sleep s/p night shift.

Last time I heard that hated sound was before my overnight last night - it was one of my colleages asking for a shift swap! Bitch, if you're looking at the schedule, you should know that I've already worked two night shifts and am coming back again that night!

Grr.

Needless to say, I said no. No swap for you, one year!