Source for Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharqq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know, specially from those who recently took the step 1, what is the best book to use for pharm? I wanted to a source for pharm class as well as for the board prep. I heard the lipponcott is good, but there hasn't been a recent ed., so it might contain errors. How bout the katzung/ lange review...
thanks for everyone input in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Pharmacology now. Our professor recomends Katzung but on the other hand, his syllabus notes are so good that there is no need to read the book. There is a new Lippencott coming out Aug 28th, and I have pre-ordered it from B&N. The BRS is okay but a little harder to understand than, say, the Physiology in the series. Good luck!

~Abbiequeen :)

sharqq said:
I wanted to know, specially from those who recently took the step 1, what is the best book to use for pharm? I wanted to a source for pharm class as well as for the board prep. I heard the lipponcott is good, but there hasn't been a recent ed., so it might contain errors. How bout the katzung/ lange review...
thanks for everyone input in advance

Certainly this isn't the case for everyone, but I don't think I had a single pharm question on Step 1 that was unanswerable being equipped with a good understanding of everything presented in the FA pharm section. Perhaps not for your course, but for boards my advice would be to master this first and move on to more detailed sources from there time permitting. Also, I did well on the shelf exam relying solely on this source. Be sure not to neglect the side effects lists toward the back of the section.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the USMLE Step 1 Pharm preparation:
1) First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 -Pharmacology section
2) Kaplan notes for Pharmacology (probably the weakest of the Kaplan Lecture Notes books)

-also, microbiology made ridiculously simple has a good section on antibiotics

depending on your Boards study schedule:
3) PharmCards (used during the school year, probably too detailed for Step1)

4) Lippincotts Illustrated Pharm Review for the drug classes that you didn't learn well during the school year
5) Katzung and Trevor Pharmacology Examination and Board Review (not the larger textbook) - depending on your Boards study schedule

For M2 Pharmacology
1. Lippincott's
2. Katzung and Trevor Pharmacology Examination and Board Review - good sections on toxicology, practice questions are more challenging than those in Lippincott's
3. Class lecture notes (depending on how well Pharm is taught at your med school)

Hope this helps