Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

South-Africa ??

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by DR2b, Jan 3, 2002.

1. DR2b

DR2b New Member

Hi everyone!!

I just wanted to know if there's anyone out there interested in South-African medical schools? According to international sources South-African medical schools deliver some of the best doctors in the world.

Happy new year!
    Andries

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also looked into South African medical schools. I decided against it for two reasons: I don't want the residency hassles that are sometimes associated with foreign medical graduates. Second, the opportunities here in the United States are too great for me to pass them up while taking away an opportunity from someone in South Africa. I worked in southern Africa for a couple years and what I see as a major problem in Africa is lack of opportunity. Often when there is an opportunity for locals, it is taken up by a foreigner. This is the worst when it comes to foreign aid. It is amazing how much aid goes into a country that is just eaten right up by foreign companies. Right now South Africans need all the help they can get. They don't need some spoiled American like myself occupying one of the few precious spots in their world-class medical schools.

Just my take of course. I think they are great schools and South Africa is a wonderful country to live in. Don't dimiss these schools on my account...

4. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

Generally, I strongly discourage Americans from considering SA med schools for the very reasons mpp mentioned--particularly now, after Apartheid. But moral discouragement can be a bit irrelevant since, as I understand it, the schools themselves will not greatly consider Americans anyway, except when they have unique reason for seeking the SA med edu. I understand that other Africans (non-SAs) get first consideration for foreign slots. This all is based upon my research on SA schools that is now 4 years old, however.

I see your profile states you are a med student in SA. I'd love to hear your perspective on things there, medically speaking, which school you are in, what classes, clinicals, and profs are like, etc.!

5. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster Member
    7+ Year Member

South African schools are great! I know at least ONE person who is in unbelievable residency in the U.S. Someone told me about him and he is the chief resident of neurological surgery at University of Washington. I guess he is on the department website. I think he is from University of Witwaterstand(???). So I guess in terms of residency, it's not so bad. As for the school, I know it's under general medical council.

6. foreigndude

foreigndude Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would be hesitant about obtaining an MD degree from SA. There are plenty of fantastic foreign medical schools that cater to U.S. students. You should check out one of them.

Foreign Dude

7. bronze001

Psychology Student
    Why would you be hesitant?

SA med schools are just as good as foreign ones. Don't judge if you don't know.

8. bronze001

Psychology Student
    "This is the worst when it comes to foreign aid. It is amazing how much aid goes into a country that is just eaten right up by foreign companies. Right now South Africans need all the help they can get."

Don't confuse South Africa with other SOUTHERN AFFRICAN countries...

9. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Epic 8 year bump to defend SA.:p