South African Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there similar programs for electives like this in other countries? If so, do you know a good website to search for electives in other countries?
Thank you.

Where are you interested in doing them and I will see what I can point you to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am most interested in Thailand or India to do electives, but depending on the program, I am willing to go to another country.
Thanks for your help.

Do you speak Thai? Mahidol University there might have electives available.

In India, Vellore Christian Medical College has a well-run electives program.

Web searches by name will turn up both.

Thank you for the hospital list. I have contacted a doctor in Thailand already to ask his opinion about which hospital from that list he recommends.

hi
i'm a 4th yr medic in the uk. i've been given dates for my elective block next yr. ideas of where to go include india, south america and south africa. can anyone offer any advice.
much appreciated
cheers :p

What do you want to do in medicine?

as yet, i have not decided. ideas include forensic medicine, psychiatry or obs and gyn. not entirely sure. my main aim is to gain some experience.

As for exp., in India it is not so hands on sometimes--you'd have to inquire.

In SA, level of what you can do depends on whether you are in a rural or urban setting. The HIV crisis may be medically interesting to you there.

In S Am, level of what you can do also depends on whether you are in a rural or urban setting, and also the nation you are in. But the language consideraton may be a prohibitor for you there regardless. Most will require some Spanish language ability.

Overall, I'd encourage you to do something in as rural of a setting as possible--wherever you go--if a broadening exp. is your goal. With this in mind, consider even more so third-world type places, too.

Best to you.

thanksfor the info.
much appreciated
:)

Stephen (or anyone else),
do you personally know the hospitals listed in the South African program? I was looking at the rural hospital list, but I don't know how to go about picking a hospital. If you have experience with any of these hospitals and can offer recommendations, that would be great. Also, would you consider this a real third world experience, or do you have other suggestions for that?
Thanks!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Peeshee:
•Stephen (or anyone else),
do you personally know the hospitals listed in the South African program? I was looking at the rural hospital list, but I don't know how to go about picking a hospital. If you have experience with any of these hospitals and can offer recommendations, that would be great. Also, would you consider this a real third world experience, or do you have other suggestions for that?
Thanks!•••••The only one I have some knowledge about is Elim. I'd write each hospital, let them know what type of experience you are looking for, ask them what they do, and see if the twain could meet.