South African Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a South African, I just finished school and I'm curious about the different medical schools we have.

I've applied to most of the big names : Freestate, Stellenbosch, UCT, Pretoria, Wits. I've thus far only been conditionally selected at the Freestate University. I live in Stellenbosch, and while relocation isn't a problem I'd naturally like to study closer to home. While I'm hoping to be reconsidered in light of my Matric marks I'm also wondering about how the universities rank against each other.

Stellenbosch and UCT's MBChB programmes are 6 years long, while the Freestate's is 5 years long. Should I infer this to mean that it is a superior programme?

Basically my question is that if I'm accepted at UCT and Stellenbosch, should I jump at it and study close to home? Or should I stick with the 5-year Freestate programme?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a South African, I just finished school and I'm curious about the different medical schools we have.

I've applied to most of the big names : Freestate, Stellenbosch, UCT, Pretoria, Wits. I've thus far only been conditionally selected at the Freestate University. I live in Stellenbosch, and while relocation isn't a problem I'd naturally like to study closer to home. While I'm hoping to be reconsidered in light of my Matric marks I'm also wondering about how the universities rank against each other.

Stellenbosch and UCT's MBChB programmes are 6 years long, while the Freestate's is 5 years long. Should I infer this to mean that it is a superior programme?

Basically my question is that if I'm accepted at UCT and Stellenbosch, should I jump at it and study close to home? Or should I stick with the 5-year Freestate programme?

Thanks
Hello Wir. I graduated from FS just before their new curriculum was introduced, but I've worked with docs who graduated afterwards and they're pretty sharp. However, I believe that all those schools are pretty good and it's more about what YOU put in rather than the particular school. I've worked with excellent docs who've trained at MEDUNSA (a school with a notorious reputation for undergrads) and I've worked with docs from more renowned schools that don't know squat.

So, as long as you graft hard, any school will do, so decide where you would LIKE to be (where your friends are/new place you'd like to experience/language of tuition/etc). Hope this helps. Good luck.

PS: I thought FS changed back to a 6-year programme but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the response, one other thing.

In what regard is UCT's medical programme held? I feel Stellenbosch and Freestate are pretty much equal, I don't know how to feel about UCT though. Given the choice between UCT and Freestate I'd rather go to the better one over the closer one.