South CA Gas Residencies (UCI, UCSD, UCLA) culture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-wildered

Long live snug seal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am very interested in applying to a gas residency in SOCAL. UCI, UCLA and UCSD as my top choices as of now.

Is there anyone that has knowledge of the culture of the programs currently, for example work hours, if residents are happy or unhappy, quality of the training... Please share honest opinions.

I'm looking for more than prestige. I would like to end up in a place that has good training and people are overall happy. Good balance. Somewhere that is not "malignant" .
PM is fine as well

Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule, the CA programs get progressively less formal as you go South. You can’t go wrong with LA or SD. Both are a good step above UCI. Between the two, figure out where you’d like to end up after residency (as the alumni networks occupy slightly different geographic areas for the most part) and which program you jived with better on interview day.

As a general rule, the CA programs get progressively less formal as you go South. You can’t go wrong with LA or SD. Both are a good step above UCI. Between the two, figure out where you’d like to end up after residency (as the alumni networks occupy slightly different geographic areas for the most part) and which program you jived with better on interview day.

Why no USC? Cedars Sinai? People do know there are like 6 programs in So Cal right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why no USC? Cedars Sinai? People do know there are like 6 programs in So Cal right?

Because the OP asked about those 3.

UCLA/UCSD>UCI/LomaLinda>USC/Cedars>Harbor

Happy now?

Reactions: 1 user

Happy now?
Any info on the USC program specifically? Only things I could find are outdated and focus on the malignancy of the Chair, who has since been replaced.
Is USC big on research or for those interested in academia?

Any info on the USC program specifically? Only things I could find are outdated and focus on the malignancy of the Chair, who has since been replaced.
Is USC big on research or for those interested in academia?
As if you could do any serious research during residency.....

Is USC big on research or for those interested in academia

When I was applying to residencies, USC straight up told me they wouldn’t offer me an interview because I had too much research in my application and they knew I wouldn’t consider their program seriously. I mean, they weren’t wrong... I ended up going to an ivory tower program anyways.

As if you could do any serious research during residency.....
True. Let me rephrase, is there enough research going on that one can just intermittently jump on projects to pad your resume
When I was applying to residencies, USC straight up told me they wouldn’t offer me an interview because I had too much research in my application and they knew I wouldn’t consider their program seriously. I mean, they weren’t wrong... I ended up going to an ivory tower program anyways.
What’s an ivory tower? And around what year was this?
So much has changed in the department curriculum structure and leadership that I feel like it’s hard to get a good gauge.

Did your daddy go to USC or something? What’s the obsession with that particular program?

Did your daddy go to USC or something? What’s the obsession with that particular program?
? I guess I have to spell out the obvious. Current applicant. Ranking it very high but going back and forth on where in my top 3

Happy now?

I know Harbor and USC aren't among the top programs in SoCal, but would you consider them mid or low tier overall in the country? They both seemed good enough to me on interview days. Because of the location, I am tempted to rank them higher than some solid programs in the Midwest/East.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s an ivory tower? And around what year was this?
So much has changed in the department curriculum structure and leadership that I feel like it’s hard to get a good gauge.

I’d loosely define an “ivory tower” program as one that gets its name recognition from high research output and hires a lot of research faculty relative to clinical faculty.

To answer your other question: I applied to residency 3 years ago—probably not enough time to have a department do a full 180 and go from clinical- to research-focused.

I know Harbor and USC aren't among the top programs in SoCal, but would you consider them mid or low tier overall in the country? They both seemed good enough to me on interview days. Because of the location, I am tempted to rank them higher than some solid programs in the Midwest/East.

USC alumni network is a huge thing in Southern California. If you are looking to stay in California it'll take you far. I'm not sure how it is viewed outside.