PhD/PsyD South Carolina licensure coming from another state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend:

She is currently licensed in another state for past 3 years. Much like me, her "post-doc" was an academic year (assistant prof) with some clinical contact one day per week in the counseling center (same place as me). Weekly supervision was provided for this clinical work, there was just very little of it (3-4 patients/hours one day per week).

Does anyone know if South Carolina, which still has a one year post-doc requirement, will count the academic duties for that year? If not, is she stuck?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't speak for SC specifically, but I worked just north of there and folks I knew had no problem with license portability/reciprocity from other states coming and going. That was a few years ago and I'm not sure how much is different now, so mileage may vary.

I can't speak for SC specifically, but I worked just north of there and folks I knew had no problem with license portability/reciprocity from other states coming and going. That was a few years ago and I'm not sure how much is different now, so mileage may vary.

Usually depends on two factors, though. Whether or not the state they are licensed in has license reciprocity there, or if they meet a certain time period of licensure, usually at least 5 years without any punitive action.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually depends on two factors, though. Whether or not the state they are licensed in has license reciprocity there, or if they meet a certain time period of licensure, usually at least 5 years without any punitive action.

Is there a reciprocity master list somewhere?

isnt it typically less about "years of licensure" and more about "clinical hours during post-doc"? That is, unless you have said 5 years of licensed experience. I've seen that on other state's websites.

Ok, googled:

Present evidence of two (2) years of supervised experience, one year of which must have been completed post-doctorally, for 3,000 hours total minimum. Each year (or equivalent) shall be comprised of at least 1,500 hours of actual work, to include direct service, training, and supervisory time.

A pre-doctoral internship/residency may be counted as one of the two years of experience. The Predoctoral Supervision Form must be submitted by the internship director or pre-doctoral supervisor to verify one year of pre-doctoral supervision.

Postdoctoral supervision is defined as a minimum of one-hour-per-week face-to-face supervision from a psychologist who is licensed in South Carolina in the specialty area(s) in which the candidate is seeking licensure. Supervision shall be within the supervisor's competency and in the specialty area(s) in which the candidate is applying for licensure. The candidate and postdoctoral supervisor must submit a postdoctoral supervision contract to be approved by the Board before the initiation of the supervision. Following Board approval of the
Supervision Contract and upon completion of the postdoctoral supervision, a Supervisor's Report Form must be submitted to the board by the supervisor.
Applicants who are licensed in another state must also substantiate a period of supervised postdoctoral experience which meets the criteria outlined above by having the postdoctral supervisor submit a completed Supervisor's Report Form to the Board.

Source:
http://www.llr.state.sc.us/pol/psychology/index.asp?file=LicInfo.htm

----------------------------------
As an aside, this is just dumb. Dumb that I had to look it up, dumb that someone licensed for 3 years has to jump through hoops for licensure for a job or for family reasons. We really really really need licensure mobility. Assuming your friend is competent and a professional, this is all just so stupid. Dumber, imo, than the EPPP2.

Reactions: 1 user
isnt it typically less about "years of licensure" and more about "clinical hours during post-doc"? That is, unless you have said 5 years of licensed experience. I've seen that on other state's websites.

A few of the states that I've been looking into have the 5 year of unbroken licensure rule which will let you bypass a lot of the tedious regulations. I'm a little more in favor of such rules. Licensure mobility is a tough task because there are some states which will want to set unforgivably low bars, and then some states with high bars will get a lot of pushbacks from the diploma mills/AAA's because none of their students qualify. I think APA has to get its accreditation act together for grad programs before license mobility starts to make sense.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeh, thats part of why I gave the area I was in. My experience was that the NC/SC/GA area had pretty good flow between one another and the requirements for those states are different (NC doesn't have a post doc requirement/didn't back then).

Looks like they have a preliminary application form, where one of the questions relates to licensure in another state. No questions about pre or post-doc on the preliminary app.
Once your preliminary application is approved, looks like they send you more stuff to complete. Best bet is for your friend to contact the board directly to see if her experience applies and if she'll need to do anything else. Ideally, they'd let her know if it's all for naught before she spent time and money on formal application.

State statutes also state:

SECTION 40-55-110. Waiver of examination.

At its discretion the board may at any time waive the assembled examination and grant the appropriate license upon payment of the required fee to any person who meets the requirement of Section 40-55-80 and who is qualified by educational and professional attainments to the satisfaction of the board if it deems such action to be in the public interest. The board may also in its discretion grant a license without an assembled examination to any person residing or employed in the State who at the time of application is licensed or certified by a similar board of another state whose standards, in the opinion of the board, are not lower than those required by this chapter, or who has been practicing psychology in another state and has qualifications not lower than those required by this chapter, and is able to satisfy the board that to grant him a license would be in the public interest, or who has been certified by the American Board of Examiners in Professional Psychology.

Looks like they have a preliminary application form, where one of the questions relates to licensure in another state. No questions about pre or post-doc on the preliminary app. State statutes also state:

SECTION 40-55-110. Waiver of examination.

At its discretion the board may at any time waive the assembled examination and grant the appropriate license upon payment of the required fee to any person who meets the requirement of Section 40-55-80 and who is qualified by educational and professional attainments to the satisfaction of the board if it deems such action to be in the public interest. The board may also in its discretion grant a license without an assembled examination to any person residing or employed in the State who at the time of application is licensed or certified by a similar board of another state whose standards, in the opinion of the board, are not lower than those required by this chapter, or who has been practicing psychology in another state and has qualifications not lower than those required by this chapter, and is able to satisfy the board that to grant him a license would be in the public interest, or who has been certified by the American Board of Examiners in Professional Psychology.

Can you provide the link to the prelim form you referenced?

A few of the states that I've been looking into have the 5 year of unbroken licensure rule which will let you bypass a lot of the tedious regulations.
If we could get all fifty states to get on board with this, I would be a happy man. Would make it so simple.
Get a postdoc / job. Get licensed. Work for 5 years. Transfer license. Work wherever you want.

If ethics complaint, needs adequate resolution, etc for transfer to be fine. No pending ethics violations. Seems simple enough. Why not make it an across the board deal? Would make everything so much easier.

Why not make it an across the board deal? Would make everything so much easier.
Man, we can't get states to agree on anything. Some states want a full year of postdoc clinical experience, some don't need any postdoc, some count academic work, etc. I'm all for license mobility, but, I doubt we could get all fifty states to adopt a high enough standard to make the majority of states happy. And, honestly, I'm ok with that, our field has already caved in too much to diminishing standards and lowering the bar, I don't want to see that happen even more in licensure. If we had better gating mechanisms at the front end, sure, but that isn't the case.

Man, we can't get states to agree on anything. Some states want a full year of postdoc clinical experience, some don't need any postdoc, some count academic work, etc. I'm all for license mobility, but, I doubt we could get all fifty states to adopt a high enough standard to make the majority of states happy. And, honestly, I'm ok with that, our field has already caved in too much to diminishing standards and lowering the bar, I don't want to see that happen even more in licensure. If we had better gating mechanisms at the front end, sure, but that isn't the case.
well, fair point.

OTOH, these states arent exactly operating without input. They have the APA, ASPBB, etc, talking to them. I think if this was the #1 focus for a short period, it might happen enough that the majority of states would accept it. Sure, not at 50.. but enough that maybe it could create momentum.

Looks like they have a preliminary application form, where one of the questions relates to licensure in another state.

I am going through the licensure process in a second state now, and am currently licensed in a neighboring state with no reciprocity. There was a similar question on this state's application... which actually just made the process more annoying. It didn't change anything regarding what documentation they required (State B is one of the more meticulous and annoying states regarding hours documentation), but now I had to pay an additional fee and get state A to send in paperwork, and involving additional state agencies typically slows down the process.

Though... admittedly, I was lucky and that part of my application went pretty smoothly (although I had some annoying hiccups elsewhere; we should have a thread talking about the ridiculous things state board personnel have said, similar to how we had one about the crazy things we've seen written in reports).

Asking for a friend:

She is currently licensed in another state for past 3 years. Much like me, her "post-doc" was an academic year (assistant prof) with some clinical contact one day per week in the counseling center (same place as me). Weekly supervision was provided for this clinical work, there was just very little of it (3-4 patients/hours one day per week).

Does anyone know if South Carolina, which still has a one year post-doc requirement, will count the academic duties for that year? If not, is she stuck?
Sorry to resurrect this but I’m wondering if your friend managed to get licensed with a lot or a little bit of hassle? I’m thinking of doing the same and the “your post doc must be supervised by a person licensed in SC” has me concerned….