South Carolina Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Has anyone heard/gotten an interview from MUSC or USC? :love:

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I just submitted on 8/16...

I would also like to know if anyone has heard.

I received MUSC's secondary 1 day after my AMCAS was verified. (You may need to contact the admissions office) I haven't received USC's.... I heard that it could take 2-3. (Snail Mail) :love: 99% Tiger (my future husbandand I are CU grad) 1% Gamecock (In grad school at Carolina). LOL!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My future husband and I are CU Grads...... :)

has anyone heard from USC? I saw on the wall of shame that someone was rejected, but they were OOS.

Haven't heard from MUSC concerning the interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I still have hope.:love: Hey USC guy send me your email address on PM. So I can get that info to you. OK!

I just got verified this morning. The Emory secondary came in this afternoon! <-I guess they send one to everybody:sleep:

GO TIGERS!!!! 1234 1234 T-I-G-E-RRRRRRRRRRRR-S Fight Tigers, Fight Tigers, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!

Proud Clemson University Alum Class of 2002!!!!!:love:

GO TIGERS!!!! 1234 1234 T-I-G-E-RRRRRRRRRRRR-S Fight Tigers, Fight Tigers, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!

Proud Clemson University Alum Class of 2002!!!!!:love:

I guess I could respond the way most Gamecock fans would respond, by saying: CLEMSUX!!!!; but I'm not going to. You guys beat us the last few years (pretty handily one year) and things aren't looking bright in gamecock country this year either, so yes, I give over full bragging rights.

Just got back from my MUSC interview. I saw that str8flxed was accepted back in september. PHD2007, have you heard anything. the adcom is meeting on tuesday and wanda taylor said the letters would go out on thursday!

It was raining all day, which turned the streets into swimming pools. Also, I had never been there before and I was so shocked to see how big that place is.

I felt like the M1 classroom left something to be desired, but all in all, I would be excited to be accepted there.

I interviewed at USC on October 4th, got a letter on October 16 saying that I would still be under active consideration. I'm OOS and apparently they only accept in staters until December or early January, so I'm not expecting anything until then.
It's probably one of the most efficient application processes I've seen though and this is my third time, so I've seen a lot. Not only do you interview with two committee members, but you get 15 minutes for a meet and greet with the other members (some of whom will recognize your name and bring up something they remember from your file, which I think speaks a lot of their dedication to their applicants). Then immediately after that they go into their committee meeting and vote on each interviewee and give you a score. If your score is higher than last years accepted class average, you're in. If not they'll hold out for a little bit.
So thats a little overview for everyone. I really liked the school, the area, but I'm sure most of you know that since you're mostly all from SC. So good luck to all

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at USC on October 4th, got a letter on October 16 saying that I would still be under active consideration. I'm OOS and apparently they only accept in staters until December or early January, so I'm not expecting anything until then.
It's probably one of the most efficient application processes I've seen though and this is my third time, so I've seen a lot. Not only do you interview with two committee members, but you get 15 minutes for a meet and greet with the other members (some of whom will recognize your name and bring up something they remember from your file, which I think speaks a lot of their dedication to their applicants). Then immediately after that they go into their committee meeting and vote on each interviewee and give you a score. If your score is higher than last years accepted class average, you're in. If not they'll hold out for a little bit.
So thats a little overview for everyone. I really liked the school, the area, but I'm sure most of you know that since you're mostly all from SC. So good luck to all

I OOS too and will interview on Wed. Are you 100% certain they don't let
OOS know until after Dec. Oh and is this your third time applying? Anyways, good luck to ya!

I interviewed at USC and MUSC on Oct 18 and Oct 20th. USC placed me on hold..... MUSC said next week... so mostly likely Thursday. I hope I get in there. The place where they have 1st year classes does leave something to be desired. LOL! Still love the school though! :love:

Just thought I'd throw what I know in. I interviewed at MUSC on Oct 10th and at USC this past Wednesday. We should hear something next week from MUSC because thats when the adcom meets next. I got the phone call from USC today saying I got in. Good luck to everyone and...........GO TIGERS!

I OOS too and will interview on Wed. Are you 100% certain they don't let
OOS know until after Dec. Oh and is this your third time applying? Anyways, good luck to ya!

Shun Robertson told me that they only like to offer acceptances to instaters first and they wait on OOS until Dec or early Jan, so I'm not expecting anything more until then.
And yes, this is my third time applying to medical school, first time applying to USC.

Shun Robertson told me that they only like to offer acceptances to instaters first and they wait on OOS until Dec or early Jan, so I'm not expecting anything more until then.
And yes, this is my third time applying to medical school, first time applying to USC.

Alrighty deacondan. Thanks for the info! I guess all we need to do now is wait :scared: . Good luck!

Well, looks like there are a few of us looking forward to Thursday (or saturday, when the mail arrives). Good luck everyone. Another thought I had about MUSC is the block testing. I really like the idea of having 6 weeks of class/off, then a big test instead of constantly stressing over a test coming in a few days.

I'm interviewing this wednesday at USC also, see you there

Bump!!!! :) Good Luck on your interviews!!!!! :love:

ooh, SC people :) I interviewed at USC on October 11th and MUSC on Sept 29th. "Waitlisted" at USC :( and awaiting that MUSC decision!

Just got back from my USC interview. I really like the school. The small atmosphere seems to work for me. It was kinda stressful walking by the room where the Adcom was meeting and knowing that your future with the school could be being to discussed at that time:barf:

Monwilli, did you see those 2 girls in the gross lab dissecting that penis? wasn't expecting that!

Just got back from my USC interview. I really like the school. The small atmosphere seems to work for me. It was kinda stressful walking by the room where the Adcom was meeting and knowing that your future with the school could be being to discussed at that time:barf:

Monwilli, did you see those 2 girls in the gross lab dissecting that penis? wasn't expecting that!

I didn't notice what they were really dissecting. But I did enjoy the day. I am really impressed with the small/ familyt type atmosphere, as well. It's a perfect fit. By the way, Good luck! I'm sure you did well.

I guess it is now obvious who I am, which undergrad were you from? just wondering

[edit] I think I figured it out

Well, MUSC letters go out today. Best of luck to my fellow MUSCinterviewedinOctober brethren

If you don't mind my asking, what were your stats (GPA and MCAT). I am a Junior here in SC and was just curious how I am stacking up to the rest of you SC residents.

3.97 GPA and 33R MCAT. The rest is in the mdapps link if you want to look. Glad to see SC people representing on here! good luck everyone!

that was the davidson college girl, tweety (her nickname). I sat in between you and the student at lunch. :)

yeah, okay, so I did know who you were from the name. you work at clemson now.

Has anyone heard from MUSC yet? :love:

Hi! I interviewed at MUSC in late September and heard from them this past Friday. They even sent a form for the white coat ceremony (jacket size) for August with the acceptance letter! Good luck to everyone.

That's GREAT! Did your letter come regular mail or did you have to sign for it?

:love:

Congrats USCguy!!!:love:

I got in MUSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Thank-you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I got in MUSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Thank-you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Congrats PHD, that is great!

Anyone going to be at USC tomorrow? For those who have already been there, how is that meet and greet with the entire adcom?

Congrats PHD2007!!!

The meet and greet at USC is pretty laid back. You just stand in the lounge room that you eat lunch in and have small talk with the people that look older than you. when one walks by and they look at your name tag, just smile and introduce yourself. My interviewers were Drs. mayer and Bajamumbe. one was a microbiology guy, the other was a philipino(sp?) psychiatrist at the VA. Both were easy to talk to and seemed benign enough.

don't be nervous, everyone is very welcoming from the moment you walk in the door till you leave at the end of the day.

Hey deacondan... got my letter for active consideration at USC (OOS). I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Dec, I guess.

Hey, anyone know whether we'd "need" laptops for class and stuff?

I'm thinking about getting one for next year, although I will probably wait and see if I actually need one, and may wait until the start of my 2nd year or so...

I asked about that during my interview tour. The guides said you didn't have to have any particular model, and that you don't need them for class, but most people bring them and check facebook or AIM.

Hello all,
I've been watching this thread as a new South Carolinian.
I was planning to apply to SC schools in 2008 but just decided to bite the bullet and hit "send" on MCAS for 2007 (I know it's late). I'm really not expecting interviews for 07 classes since I'm late and in fact still have to take the Jan. MCAT but I'd rather waste a couple hundred bucks this app cycle than wonder if somehow I could've started a year earlier. (Yes, I did see that both MUSC and USC don't plan to consider Jan MCAT results.)
I've been a PA working in FP for the past six years and now EM since I moved to Sumter in July 06. I would just barely qualify for in-state residency for 2007 classes (although I would meet every one of those criteria, including having a state professional license).
Here's what I want to know: how's the age range in both schools? Truly I prefer USC from a lifestyle point of view (I can commute it easily, ~45 min). I don't particularly want to be the only class member over 30 who actually remembers the 80s....
Congrats to you all,
Lisa

Hello all,
I've been watching this thread as a new South Carolinian.
I was planning to apply to SC schools in 2008 but just decided to bite the bullet and hit "send" on MCAS for 2007 (I know it's late). I'm really not expecting interviews for 07 classes since I'm late and in fact still have to take the Jan. MCAT but I'd rather waste a couple hundred bucks this app cycle than wonder if somehow I could've started a year earlier. (Yes, I did see that both MUSC and USC don't plan to consider Jan MCAT results.)
I've been a PA working in FP for the past six years and now EM since I moved to Sumter in July 06. I would just barely qualify for in-state residency for 2007 classes (although I would meet every one of those criteria, including having a state professional license).
Here's what I want to know: how's the age range in both schools? Truly I prefer USC from a lifestyle point of view (I can commute it easily, ~45 min). I don't particularly want to be the only class member over 30 who actually remembers the 80s....
Congrats to you all,
Lisa

Hey don't feel bad. I am 25 now (not old to me, but compared to most other's on here) and won't be ready for entrance until the same time. Maybe we will interview together!

I'm just finishing my PhD. So I'll be starting med school at 26!!! I'm going to be a non-traditional student as well!!!! :love:

I am also 25 and wondered about this - I asked the student guide at USC and the girl said in her year, there were maybe a dozen non-traditional students (out of 80?) not very many according to her. At MUSC my guide said probably less than 1/4 of the class was non-trad, but the majority were straight out of college. Both stats coming from student guides so may not be so accurate, but when I was walking around both schools, there didn't seem to be that many older students.

Well, like I said, USC would be a better fit for me anyway. After moving cross-country 4 mos ago I'm hardly ready to move across town!
;) also it would be nice to still pick up a few ER shifts/month to minimize my debtload, and to get away from studying for a while, and to not have to try to find another ER job somewhere else.
Thanks y'all (see, I'm becoming a southerner....)