south carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there going to a So. Carolina school? I've been accepted to both, but can't decide between the two. Which did you choose and why????

Members don't see this ad.

MUSC is in Charleston, and Charleston rocks. Therefore, your decision should be easy. . .

No really, I have lived here for 5 years. I LOVE it here. I have been accepted to MUSC but will probably leave to try someplace new. I am pretty sad about leaving. The people in Charleston are stunningly beautiful and equally nice. There are tons of great restautrants and the nightlife is pretty cool. It is way more expensive to live here than in Columbia, but we have the beach just seconds from our doorsteps. If you get bored here, there is something wrong with you.

I think USC and MUSC are equal in reputation. . . Where will you be the happiest? Which one is closer (or farther) to your family?

PM me if you want to know more about Charleston (assuming you are from the upstate).

I am also looking to sublet my Apt. starting June. . . Two blocks from the school. . . Roach free. . . :p

Isidella-

I might take you up on that sublet...i'm from mt. pleasant but i can't live at home therefore a apt downtown looks very appealing...how much are you asking for it and what street is it on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Charleston is a neat city, but I would love to get the opinion of someone who knows some of the students who go there. I've heard mixed reviews about the school. Do the students seem happy?

Hey Spanky,

I will reply here rather than in a PM, (I am hoping to give the forum a bit of my personal opinion on MUSC) ;)

For the past two years I have worked with many students and residents. Everyone, for the most part, seems happy. Most are in-state and are seeking solid training to be family docs. From what I can tell, the block exams are difficult. You can always tell when exams are because there are these zombies in the lunch line. . . There are a good mix of smarties and people who got in by the skin of their teeth. I have seen graduates go on to very lofty places and into competitive residencies. I also know one student personally who dropped out at the end of his second year because he hated it. You will get that sort of thing just about everywhere though. There are gunners, people who don't attend class and just about everything in between.

People are very big on the "sir" mentality here. It is rare that an attending and a resident or resident and a student will have a pleasant realtionship. From what I can tell, the attendings trained at some pretty hardcore places. They transplant to Charleston because the environment is so pleasant here. The research here is scant, but very good. Student often rotate through my lab and many will stay on to do a post-doc prior to residency.

From what I can tell, noone is slitting their wrists. The students have a nice comradery, they party together. I have known several students to also hold down part-time jobs outside of classes-they are bright people who manage their time well.

If you have any other specific concerns let me know. I can get you in contact with some of my friends who are currently students.

Good luck!

Isid