South Florida or miami?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baller

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Miami and South Florida for medical school. I don't know if it is worth paying so much more for Miaim (20,000 a year). I need some advice. Is south florida competetive and will it matter in my residency. I like both schools. If anyone out there know about either school, let me know.
Nick

Members don't see this ad.

I'm originally from Florida, and I have done some research on both places. Miami definitely gets the nod in terms of reputation. But your decision should be based on more than this. USF is a fine school, in a nice area, with a much reduced tuition.

You may want to research potential areas of specialty at each particular school. This may automatically rule one out for you. For example, USF has a pretty decent general surgery program for post-grads. But it offers nothing for ortho's. Hence, if you were interested in orthopedics, USF might not be the best choice. Maybe with some comparisons one school will eliminate itself. If not just go with where things feel right. At least you've been accepted. I wish I were in your shoes. I've still got to finish this torturous task of application. Good luck in your decision.

Congrats,

I have also been accepted to USF and am planning to go there. Miami has a much better reputation, but this was personal decision I made after visiting. I live in tampa and I am married so it is much easier if I just stay here.

The information that I recived from some students at UM is that most of the students receive some type of tution 'scholarship.' Miami is funded by the state and already has the necessary means to educate. Check into this if the tuition is the only seperation.

Richard

USF '04

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey richie, i interviewed at USF back in november and haven't heard anything yet, not even waitlist. Do you know what this means or how the process works? I also live in the tampa area so its defintly one of my top choices.

Jason,

Right now I suspect that the schools have offered enough acceptances to fill all of thier seats and are waiting to hear back from those who plan not to attend.
I was just talking to a freind of mine who has more than one acceptance and will be making a decision soon.

Good luck,

Richard

Has any alternate heard anything from UM or USF?