South University School of Pharmacy c/o 2018 Savannah Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Display Name

Pharm.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I'm a member of the class of 2017 at Savannah.

If you are looking for a place to stay during your interview that is near school, nice, and easy on a budget: The Olgethorpe Inn is great:

http://www.oglethorpeinn.com/

They have a King Suite that includes a sitting room, fridge, free breakfast, and free parking for $69

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also: If anyone has any questions about South - ask away!

I have an interview in two weeks. Do you have any tips? What was the interview day like? Was the interview one-on-one or in group? How long did each interview last? Was there anything that caught you off guard about the interview?

In terms of the program, how do you like it? Were classes more on campus with professors teaching the course or over the internet like the Columbia campus? What is the difference between the Columbia and Savannah campus? Are there more direct professor-student interaction at the Savannah campus? What is unique about South University besides the 3 year accelerated program and its low cost tuition compared to other pharmacy schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
timothykiqato:

Do you have any tips?
Brush up on basic math skills and be ready to do some conversion and dimensional analysis type problems on the day of the interview. How you actually do on the math assessment they administer has no bearing on your chances for a seat; Rather, if you are accepted they will let you know if you need to brush up on word problems before the program starts.

What was the interview day like? It was fairly laid back and relaxed. You start the day off as a group listening to a handful of speakers (and the floor will be open for questions), then you will break up into smaller groups and have some discussions in smaller rooms with folks from the other campus via video conference. Then you will have lunch (I believe they serve pizza every session) and people will start to be called in for interviews.

Was the interview one-on-one or in group? The interviews are one-on-one. You interview privately with two faculty members (separately).

How long did each interview last? 15-25 minutes would be the average from what I have heard. One of my interviews was 30 minutes; the other 15.

Was there anything that caught you off guard about the interview? Not about the process itself. One of my interviewers cut right to the chase and asked about a spot on my academic history. It was a bit intimidating, but I had prepared well by anticipating the types of personal and educational questions I could be asked based on my application.

In terms of the program, how do you like it? I do like it; Let me be honest and say that the pace of the program is relentless. It is accelerated and you cannot allow yourself to get behind on studying. I knew what to expect going in -- but I did not realize just how fast things come at you. Quarter 1 taught me to plan every moment of my time outside of class more than I ever had before.

Were classes more on campus with professors teaching the course or over the internet like the Columbia campus? I would estimate 70% of the classes are taught live from Savannah. I have no issues with the classes that are taught from Columbia, though. It is very interactive in real-time and the professors on opposing campuses are very available to students via email and video chat.

Are there more direct professor-student interaction at the Savannah campus? The opportunity for professor-student interaction is the same at both campuses -- the video lectures are interactive -- you can press a button and ask a professor at another campus a question during lecture at any time. There are also two course coordinators for each subject - one at each campus - so as a student you can always talk to someone in person about a specific subject.

What is unique about South University besides the 3 year accelerated program and its low cost tuition compared to other pharmacy schools? I am not sure what you mean by 'unique'... I think advantages of attending South include the low cost of living in the areas around both campuses, the opportunity to get a PharmD/MBA concurrently (and inexpensively), getting out on Intermediate rotations after the first year, professors that are great at teaching AND do really cool research, and the opportunity to make a difference in the local community.

Last edited:
Do you have any tips? Brush up on basic math skills and be ready to do some conversion and dimensional analysis type problems on the day of the interview. How you actually do on the math assessment they administer has no bearing on your chances for a seat; Rather, if you are accepted they will let you know if you need to brush up on word problems before the program starts.
Are conversion units given or it is expected that I have memorized them?

Was there anything that caught you off guard about the interview? Not about the process itself. One of my interviewers cut right to the chase and asked about a spot on my academic history. It was a bit intimidating, but I had prepared well by anticipating the types of personal and educational questions I could be asked based on my application.
What do you mean "a spot on my academic history?" As in your weaknesses in a subject or about your grade? Were there more situation questions or more personal and academics questions? Was the interview open file or closed file interview?

Quarter 1 taught me to plan every moment of my time outside of class more than I ever had before.
Do you mean you have had to study more outside of the class?

Typically, how many classes do you take per quarter? What is your daily schedule like? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer them. I truly really appreciate it.

So glad I ran across this thread! I too have an interview coming up and I am trying my best to prepare. What is the university looking for the most? What is something they really focus on in the interview? Also, what type of essay topics are given? Is the math portion and essay timed?

No problem - I am glad to help.

Are conversion units given or it is expected that I have memorized them?
The math will be very basic -- no real conversions that you would need to have studied for or had more than normal knowledge of. It focuses on word problems where you extrapolate the data needed to answer appropriately.

What do you mean "a spot on my academic history?" As in your weaknesses in a subject or about your grade? Were there more situation questions or more personal and academics questions? Was the interview open file or closed file interview?
The interview was open file during my cycle. It may have changed at this point. I had a really rough quarter in my Senior year of college and that was inquired about -- and I was provided the opportunity to explain what was going on. My first interview was more personal and educational questions. My second interview was almost all situations questions.

Do you mean you have had to study more outside of the class?
I had anticipated studying more. The issue I experienced was organizing my study time and focus -- exams start and you have so many responsibilities (assignments due, lab exercises, quizzes for classes, drug quizzes, group assignments, etcetera) that detailed planning becomes even more important than before. Just being prepared sounds simple... needless to say, I developed a while new method of organization.

Typically, how many classes do you take per quarter?
You average six classes per quarter -- you can see the curriculum outline here: Curriculum

What is your daily schedule like?
The days are long - you are in an accelerated program and have loads of classes - I would say you will average 8-4:30 (with breaks) 2-3 days a week and then 8-12 the others. This, of course, changes quarter to quarter.​

PharmDMG:

What is the university looking for the most?
It varies -- our current classes have a wide age range, background type, and distribution of female/males. I really feel that South looks at the over-all individual -- which really gives many folks an opportunity that they may not have garnered if only paper portions were considered.

What is something they really focus on in the interview?
From my experience and from feedback I have heard from fellow students, there is no one thing they focus on. Look at your PharmCAS essay. Look at your transcripts. Is there anything on either of them that is a flag to ask a question about (good or bad)? Be ready to address it in a logical, honest way (not in an apologetic way. you have made it to the interview, which means THEY are looking for a reason to admit you). Be relaxed. Seriously. I found that the process was fair -- there were no hoops to jump through. They wanted to know about 'me' and the interviews I had felt so genuine. They know why you are there and what you want from them (a seat in their program!): So, be who you are. Answer questions with a little pause and thought. Don't try to steer the conversation. Allow the interviewer to do so -- they are asking questions THEY want to know the answer to.

Also, what type of essay topics are given?
By and large I have heard (and experienced) that the topics vary with a common theme of integrity and the ability to look at a situation from two perspectives.

Is the math portion and essay timed?
Timed, yes, but not an 'under the gun' kind of timing. You get an adequate amount of time to finish, there is no pressure. I finished my math sequence and had time to go back and rework each problem -- and at that point time still had not been called. Same with the essay -- I finished with more than 10 minutes to spare.​

PharmDMG:

It varies -- our current classes have a wide age range, background type, and distribution of female/males. I really feel that South looks at the over-all individual -- which really gives many folks an opportunity that they may not have garnered if only paper portions were considered.

From my experience and from feedback I have heard from fellow students, there is no one thing they focus on. Look at your PharmCAS essay. Look at your transcripts. Is there anything on either of them that is a flag to ask a question about (good or bad)? Be ready to address it in a logical, honest way (not in an apologetic way. you have made it to the interview, which means THEY are looking for a reason to admit you). Be relaxed. Seriously. I found that the process was fair -- there were no hoops to jump through. They wanted to know about 'me' and the interviews I had felt so genuine. They know why you are there and what you want from them (a seat in their program!): So, be who you are. Answer questions with a little pause and thought. Don't try to steer the conversation. Allow the interviewer to do so -- they are asking questions THEY want to know the answer to.

By and large I have heard (and experienced) that the topics vary with a common theme of integrity and the ability to look at a situation from two perspectives.

Timed, yes, but not an 'under the gun' kind of timing. You get an adequate amount of time to finish, there is no pressure. I finished my math sequence and had time to go back and rework each problem -- and at that point time still had not been called. Same with the essay -- I finished with more than 10 minutes to spare.​

Thanks so much! Do you know if they still give the math part? I actually just spoke with someone and they said that they didn't have the math part, only the essay.

Thanks so much! Do you know if they still give the math part? I actually just spoke with someone and they said that they didn't have the math part, only the essay.

I will find out tomorrow and let you know!

PharmDMG:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think they admitted YOU? Do you think interviews are given because you have met the minimum GPA requirement (more or less the personal statement as well) or there could have been other factors too?

I had a solid essay, a 3.0 GPA with two bachelor of science degrees, and an 83 PCAT (I do not think they are requiring the PCAT any longer).

While not a superstar, my history demostrated that I work hard and do not give up. I had four interviews and four acceptances when I went through the application process. I think I was accepted at each place for the same reason - I had an established track record of consistent performance and demonstrated the ability to complete programs with success.

That is what most schools are looking for - students that will be able to handle, and complete, their program -- and they use the materials/information/interview you provide to deem your potential. (OK, so UCSF is looking for 4.0 superstars, but I am speaking in the context of the bulk of pharmacy programs.)

So, I believe South looks at the different portions of each applicant and as a result really gives the individual, not their GPA, an opportunity to interview. It is an approach that more and more healthcare programs are starting to embrace.
Thank you! I hope you did not take offense in my question about why South accepted you. It was to get a better idea of the interview process that's all. Thank you so much again for answering my questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview in two weeks. Do you have any tips? What was the interview day like? Was the interview one-on-one or in group? How long did each interview last? Was there anything that caught you off guard about the interview?

In terms of the program, how do you like it? Were classes more on campus with professors teaching the course or over the internet like the Columbia campus? What is the difference between the Columbia and Savannah campus? Are there more direct professor-student interaction at the Savannah campus? What is unique about South University besides the 3 year accelerated program and its low cost tuition compared to other pharmacy schools?

Is your interview on 1/30? I also have an interview in two weeks. Did you take the PCAT if you don't mind me asking and what is your GPA?

I have an interview coming up too...thank you all for this thread and good luck

I confirmed that there is no longer a math test -- just the essay! Good luck!

I confirmed that there is no longer a math test -- just the essay! Good luck!
Thank you for the tips. I'm from out of town and flying in that Thursday for the interview on Friday. I was wondering is there an alternative transportation from the airport to the hotel because taxi cost about $40

Anyone out there who is coming for Friday's (1/30) interviews:

Thursday evening a few of us are going for dinner -- if you would like to join message me!

I just received my acceptance letter!

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard about the block system for exams, can you explain this?

We never test during a class period. They designate two days a week, at specific times, for tests. This quarter it is Tuesday and Thursday at 8am. If you don't have an exam on a given Tuesday or Thursday you do not come in until your first class starts at 9:40.

The testing days vary from quarter to quarter.

We never test during a class period. They designate two days a week, at specific times, for tests. This quarter it is Tuesday and Thursday at 8am. If you don't have an exam on a given Tuesday or Thursday you do not come in until your first class starts at 9:40am.

The testing days vary from quarter to quarter.
So say, is it one exam on Tuesday at 8am? Then no class for the rest of the day? Or one exam on Tuesday at 8-9:30am, then continue onto the next class at 9:40am?

I am looking for housing in Savannah, GA. Where do most pharmacy school students stay? Are the area around Savannah usually safe?

o ok I thought I saw you there. We both got in yay! are you planning on doing school housing or finding a apartment?
Yay!! What is your name by the way and student housing seems like the safest bet but I'm currently looking for apartments right now. What about you?

Last edited:
o ok I thought I saw you there. We both got in yay! are you planning on doing school housing or finding a apartment?
hey my name is jannet, I think I'm gonna go with student housing, I looked at apartments online and rent is not cheap, so I figured student housing for now and I can always find a apartment and a roommate later on.

hey my name is jannet, I think I'm gonna go with student housing, I looked at apartments online and rent is not cheap, so I figured student housing for now and I can always find a apartment and a roommate later on.
How much is student housing anyway? I'm actually a girl using my boyfriend's acct and I'm looking for a roomie! It may be cheaper than student housing.

How much is student housing anyway? I'm actually a girl using my boyfriend's acct and I'm looking for a roomie! It may be cheaper than student housing.
an apartment would be cheaper, student housing is $2460 per quarter and includes all utiltities

So say, is it one exam on Tuesday at 8am? Then no class for the rest of the day? Or one exam on Tuesday at 8-9:30am, then continue onto the next class at 9:40am?
It isn't bad at all. I actually don't mind it

I interviewed on the 30th, anyone heard back yet?

I actually heard back today. Accepted at the Savannah campus!

Last edited:
Hi every one,
Can some one help me with this. I have interview here in the end of this month and don't know which airport should I go for. I think the closest one is Savannah Int airport but the flight for my interview day is not available so I still check for the flight right now. I hope some one can help me please.

Hi every one,
Can some one help me with this. I have interview here in the end of this month and don't know which airport should I go for. I think the closest one is Savannah Int airport but the flight for my interview day is not available so I still check for the flight right now. I hope some one can help me please.

Savannah Airport is the one you want. The next closest airport is a few hours away.

Where are you coming from?

Are classes graded based on Pass/No Pass or letter grade?

The school year is 4 quarter correct? Does tuition increase every year?
It's letter grade and there is four quarter within the year

I am looking for housing in Savannah, GA. Where do most pharmacy school students stay? Are the area around Savannah usually safe?
Hi
I have a condo for rent a mile from south university savannah campus. Let me know if you need more information.

Hi
I have a condo for rent a mile from south university savannah campus. Let me know if you need more information.
Hi, I am interested in the condo. I am from Puerto Rico and I am planning to move in by early june. Can you give me more information about the condo?
How many bed rooms and bath rooms, what about the monthly payment?

Hi, I'm looking for housing in Savannah. does someone know of apartments?