Southeast Pathology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwinston

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year in path and I'm wondering about the word on SE path programs. The three I'm thinking of are U Va, UNC, and Duke. Does anyone (ie. Great Pumpkin) have any info on these schools? For instance, I heard that Duke had a great program but has since imploded. Is this true? I've also heard that U Va has a great program but I've heard relatively little about their med school being strong as a whole. Am I missing any other very good programs in the area (I definately do not want to go to Atlanta)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am told by my department chairman that UNC has a very fine program. Also Vanderbilt (and traditionally Emory--although I understand from reliable sources that there is trouble there currently). This is what I know of in the south and east of the Mississippi River. Re Duke, I keep hearing the same thing.

Good luck!

I don't think you could go wrong at any of the schools you listed. All will be fine programs. Also, check out Wake Forest and of course my program. I am sure any problems at Emory will be worked out quickly. They have always had a great program.

The most important thing when finding a program is to try to get a sense if the residents are happy. Because if they are not you will not be either.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Pumpkin,

Speaking of resident happiness.......how do you like your program? DO the residents at your program get along well with each other? I will definitely be applying to your program. Does applying early have any benefit?

Thanks!

Lutz:D

I did a rotation at UNC and spoke to the residents and attendings extensively about this subject. I think UNC has a very good program, balanced in AP and CP, not too much autopsy and the residents are very happy. UNC has new facilities that are nice which is a bonus. The also have PAs, which helps take some of the grossing load off of the senior residents. The attendings are great to work with and if I were doing path I would definitely look there. I have heard mixed things about the Duke program, and problems within the program. Also know one resident that is not happy there, but I don't have any specific info. All I have heard about Wake Forest is that they have a lot more autopsy time, so if you hate that, it is something to consider.

I really love my program. Very good AP as well as CP program. Usually nice call, normally good work hours and great residents. Mostly great staff (i think every program has one or two folks they could do without). We have some very prestigious staff members, esp in cytology, that have lots of contacts for jobs.

My worst hours are during surg path where I will work from 10 to 13 hours a day and a half day every 3rd Sat.

I think most of the other residents are happy as well. I don't know of anyone that has any major issues.

We have brand new facilities for surg path and the blood bank. And, new equipment in the autopsy suite. (we don't do many autopsies really which is fine by me)

Hope this help and looking forward to meeting all who come to see us. Applying early doesn't really make any difference. If you apply early and you really want to match at that place just stay in touch with the chiefs and residency director.

rob

P.S. If you go on an interview where they don't let you spend time with the residents run don't walk towards the nearest exit :).