Southern California: LA vs. SD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've heard the raging socal vs. nocal debate before, but what about SD vs.LA? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

all i know is that SD is a beautiful city, except its much more quiet and less populated than LA. well at least thats mho.

Why not compromise? The OC's right in between....

Members don't see this ad :)
hamhamfan said:
Why not compromise? The OC's right in between....

To me the OC is much more cookie cutter than San Diego, which to me makes it seem really ugly and strange. Everything looks the same!

Compare Santa Ana with Laguna Beach... two different worlds....

hamhamfan said:
Compare Santa Ana with Laguna Beach... two different worlds....

I've never really been to either... only Cyprus (sp?) and Irvine for my interview. I guess I am biased, but I thought the immediate surroundings of UCSD were much nicer than UCI. I know people down there drive around alot but I'm used to walking everywhere. What is Laguna Beach like?

Laguna Beach is beautiful, but unfortunately over run with tourists. It reminds me a lot of La Jolla actually. Both have amazing older craftsman houses that have been restored. Both have some artsy, cool hang out places. Both have terrible traffic.
I am partial to San Diego. Slower pace of life, smaller scale, more funky. I don't like LA because I feel like a lot of people move there to live out some barbie and ken, melrose place fantasy, and then they end up actually creating that reality. Blech.
Suburban sprawl is an issue no matter where you go in southern CA.

Today, I would pick San Diego as a city of Los Angeles. It might change tomorrow. San Diego is smalled, prettier, nicer weather. My problems with it is that is it semi-boring, conservative, very white, etc, etc.

Los Angeles, has a ton more stuff to do, a lot more diverse, more places to go and see, funner people, etc, etc. Beaches arn't as great.

San Diego is whiter?

Where I live (north county san diego) at the local school district, it is 34% white, 53% hispanic, the rest are in small proportions (I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head) While it may be whiter than LA it is not lacking in diversity.

San Diego is so much better than LA you can't even imagine. I would live in northern california before I would live in LA or Orange county. Way too many people. Although San Diego is quickly becoming too crowded.

I agree that san diego is more conservative. There is a big military presence and the majority of Hispanics are Catholic, and have somewhat conservative values.

sometimes sd bores the hell out of me. it feels like the pace of life here is way too slow. i like oc for it's proximity to LA. i think that's the best of both worlds.

I'm partial to SD. I'm finishing up my undergrad at UCLA, but my girlfriend goes to UCSD, so I get a slice of both worlds. I just think it's much more relaxing in SD. Of course, if you're the type that needs to be on the move 24/7, then LA would be best city for you. I just know that I like to just kick back and chill. Plus, there's much less traffic in SD than LA. I've also noticed that the people in SD seem to be less superficial than those in LA...

I've never lived in LA but have been there enough to know I prefer San Diego a lot more. The traffic alone is enough to make me not want to live there. Imagine wasting 2 hours a day just commuting and not being able to drive without traffic unless it's after 8PM or before 5AM. That's too much for me.

Also, San Diego has much nicer beaches (more scenic in general) and is much less crowded. I definately give SD :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would say that San Diego is probably one of the most beautiful places in the country. There's a reason why there are so many conferences held here.

Great weather, less smog, and plenty of things to do. And with the proximity to Mexico, you can always make an excursion to our Southern neighbor.

Haven't lived in Orange County, but I remember I got lost driving around UC Irvine, because it seemed like there was almost nothing around it...

i've lived in all 3 places. I worked in LA for a year, and my family lives in SD, and I now live in Irvine for work. I hate LA as a city. It's congested in traffic, it's dirty in air, the people are...just, not my type I guess. It does have it's good things - things to do, great places to eat, a lot of diversity.

Irvine is great. It's clean, low crime, convenient to LA, quiet. the OC is overrun by beach tourists and people from LA. A lot of the LA'ers grow up and start jobs and move to Irvine or the OC and well, as you've seen above, they're not totally my type of people. It gets too touristy and annoyingly conformist in some aspects - especially the clubbing in hermosa beach. I mean how often can you go to sharkey's or sangrias and still have a blast? the first 20 times might have been fun but come on...there's more than that (unfortunately my friends don't agree totally so i'm stuck still going sometimes)

San Diego might be more conservative, but man, the air is nice (it smells sweet in North County), the city is pretty clean, there are ample things to do, the beaches are nice. I like SD the most of any place in So Cal I've lived. It has its downsides too but of all three places, I like San Diego the most. Now if you're in college and/or under 25, SD isn't very fun - go for OC or LA. But if you're getting serious about settling down or perhaps being a little farther from the action yet close enough to go on the weekends, SD is a good choice. But trust me, SD is boring in terms of "exciting" things to do compared to LA and the OC.

Personally I thinking comparing SD and LA is like comparing apples and oranges, they are sooooo completely different. But I will cast my vote for SD. I did my undergrad at UCSD and I loved the laid back atmosphere, the proximity of very nice beaches, and the Gaslamp District.

I think it really depends on one's personality which city they prefer.

celticmists18 said:
Personally I thinking comparing SD and LA is like comparing apples and oranges, they are sooooo completely different. But I will cast my vote for SD. I did my undergrad at UCSD and I loved the laid back atmosphere, the proximity of very nice beaches, and the Gaslamp District.

I think it really depends on one's personality which city they prefer.

oranges taste better than apples =)