Southern California residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoHawks1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the greater Los Angeles area for my podiatry residency. If anyone has anything that they can share about any residencies around LA (good or bad) please feel free to post here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, consider this, you could end up anywhere in podiatry.

That goes not only for residency, but for work as well.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I thought I would bring that up.

Here is a list I have complied of the residencies in the LA area.

Anyone have any experience with any of them or know anything about them. Any insights would be greatly appreciated as I want to stay in the area for residency.
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr
White Memorial Medical Center
Aestheticare Surg Ctr/Mission Hosp
Providence Tarzana Medical Center
DVA - Gr Los Angeles Hlthcare Sys
DVA - Loma Linda (Jerry L. Pettis)
Lakewood Regional Medical Center
Coast Plaza Doctors Hospital
Silver Lake Medical Center
Rancho Specialty Hospital
Olympia Medical Center
Doctors Hospital of West Covina
College Hospital Costa Mesa
Fountain Valley Regional Hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones you will tend to hear more (journal articles, lectures, etc etc) from and see more prominent alumni from are the Kaisers in north Cali or Scripps in SD. I'm sure at least a few of the LA ones have good training, but you just don't hear much about any of them (unless you maybe go to school out there?). There are a lot of quality programs that are under the radar, so your best bet is always to check them out for yourself...

A 4th year did a rotation at aestheticare surg center in san juan capistrano earlier in the year and said it was a very good program (in his opinion). I hadnt even heard anything about it, but he said that there is a lot of surgery FF & RF. A guy who graduated last year said that the DVA-Loma Linda was pretty good too. He actually went to Long Beach and I hear they have a decent program. Like Feli said, there is Scripps in SD which is known to be a great program. I am coming back to socal to check out some programs in march, and can post what i learned then.

A 4th year did a rotation at aestheticare surg center in san juan capistrano earlier in the year and said it was a very good program (in his opinion). I hadnt even heard anything about it, but he said that there is a lot of surgery FF & RF. A guy who graduated last year said that the DVA-Loma Linda was pretty good too. He actually went to Long Beach and I hear they have a decent program. Like Feli said, there is Scripps in SD which is known to be a great program. I am coming back to socal to check out some programs in march, and can post what i learned then.

That would be fantastic if you could post an update then. When do you start your residency?

That would be fantastic if you could post an update then. When do you start your residency?

Oh, i am just a second year, and still have a ways to go! But, i am from CA and most of the programs i am looking at are on the west coast. I get to go to socal in march for a school thing, so i am taking advantage of the free flight and checking out some of the programs i am interested in. I have to apply to clerkships next year, and most of the places require that you clerk there to interview. I want to get the most out of my clerkships, so I need to narrow down my list of 20 potential programs, and am checking out as many programs as possible this year.

Oh, i am just a second year, and still have a ways to go! But, i am from CA and most of the programs i am looking at are on the west coast. I get to go to socal in march for a school thing, so i am taking advantage of the free flight and checking out some of the programs i am interested in. I have to apply to clerkships next year, and most of the places require that you clerk there to interview. I want to get the most out of my clerkships, so I need to narrow down my list of 20 potential programs, and am checking out as many programs as possible this year.

Any feedback on any of the programs you visited in Socal?

Does anyone have information about College Hospital Costa Mesa? I haven't seen anything on sdn

Does anyone have information about College Hospital Costa Mesa? I haven't seen anything on sdn

They have traditionally only taken 1 student every other year for a 2 year program. They are converting to a 3 year for next year. They do get impressive surgical numbers and Dr Haupt is fantastic. From what I hear they have the cases for more residents, but not the funding.

Word out on the street is that they will either integrate with Long Beach or with WesternU to help with funding -can't confirm this though.