Southern Illinois Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StritchMD2011

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those who received a secondary for Southern Illinois: After you were complete, how long did it take for them to contact you to schedule your interview? They should have received my letters last week and my secondary the week before. I'm just curious if I should call. I'd like to know as early as possible so that I can hopefully book some cheap airfare.

For those who are confused - Southern is pretty selective about who they send secondaries to, and if you get a secondary, you get an automatic interview invite. This is why I'm not complete, but know I'm getting an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

... if you get a secondary, you get an automatic interview invite. This is why I'm not complete, but know I'm getting an interview.

How did you learn this?

Sorry to disagree, but i have two friends who got secondaries a long time ago but were not given an invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's how they usually roll... secondary = invite. I'm from Central/Southern IL, and that's how they've always done it. September 26th 'til they review my app. though....

Sorry to disagree, but i have two friends who got secondaries a long time ago but were not given an invite.

Maybe this is the case, but I know this is how they've done it in previous years. The wording on the letter which comes with the secondary also indicates that they'll contact you to schedule an interview once your file is complete. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it sure sounds like an auto interview upon completion.

Maybe this is the case, but I know this is how they've done it in previous years. The wording on the letter which comes with the secondary also indicates that they'll contact you to schedule an interview once your file is complete. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it sure sounds like an auto interview upon completion.

You know that SIU and Creighton are big basketball rivals, right? :laugh:

You know that SIU and Creighton are big basketball rivals, right? :laugh:

I sure do. We're gonna be awesome this year now that we have everyone healthy. Picked up some great new freshman and an awesome JuCo player. SIU doesn't stand a chance this year.

I sure do. We're gonna be awesome this year now that we have everyone healthy. Picked up some great new freshman and an awesome JuCo player. SIU doesn't stand a chance this year.

I wouldn't mention that in an SIU interview ;)

I think SIU's going to be pretty decent. Their coach is great!

OK, so I am in the same situation as some of you guys. That is, I didn't get a secondary yet and was told when I called that they would review my app sometime in late September and then give me a secondary. I thought that the nice lady said they would give me an interview if they decide to give me a secondary, but I was in a hurry when I called and so I wasn't sure if that was what I heard or just what I wanted to hear.

So I guess, and correct me if I am wrong, that if they give me a secondary I'll also get an interview?

Is that what you guys are saying? I hope it is!!!

I also applied to SIU...how long does it take for them to get back to you about the secondary??? It has been 2 weeks since they gave me conformation of recieving my AMCAS application...but no word on the secondary as of yet!?

I also applied to SIU...how long does it take for them to get back to you about the secondary??? It has been 2 weeks since they gave me conformation of recieving my AMCAS application...but no word on the secondary as of yet!?

i received that email in june, and am still waiting to hear from them. siu isn't too keen on people from the chicago area, they prefer central and southern il. being from evanston, it might be a while.

I received the secondary the first week of August, was complete August 24, and received an interview invite September 5.

I received the secondary the first week of August, was complete August 24, and received an interview invite September 5.

So do they do the automatic interview? Also, which campus are you interviewing at? Do they let you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard anything about autoinvites...but it was a pretty quick turnaround...

Yes, you get to choose between their Carbondale and Springfield campus.

Bumping...I'm still curious about this auto-interview speculation...can anyone verify?

The letter accompanying the Secondary application states, "Upon file completion you will be invited for personal interviews in either Springfield or Carbondale." (Bolding mine) This was for an addressee from south of I-74.

I'm nearly positive that the secondary=interview. If you read the letter that comes with your secondary...it says at the bottom that you will be contacted for an interview after you are complete.

After I submitted my secondary, I got the interview preference form within 1 week. You pick the date (must be 3 weeks away minimum) and choose between either Carbondale and Springfield.

They have a December review for those who have already interviewed, but then nobody gets off the AWPA list until the next review in February.

My secondary/interview was last year so this is to the best of my memory.

I'm nearly positive that the secondary=interview. If you read the letter that comes with your secondary...it says at the bottom that you will be contacted for an interview after you are complete.

After I submitted my secondary, I got the interview preference form within 1 week. You pick the date (must be 3 weeks away minimum) and choose between either Carbondale and Springfield.

They have a December review for those who have already interviewed, but then nobody gets off the AWPA list until the next review in February.

My secondary/interview was last year so this is to the best of my memory.

December, huh? You happen to have a day in December we should start meeting the mailman at the mailboxes?

I got my AWPA letter a couple of days ago -- not sure if that was from a review on or around the 1st of December, or if there's another one coming up.
AWPA is basically an acceptance, right? :oops:

I think there are 2 different letters--one for central/southern IL people (and a few other people they really like for some reason), and one for Chicagoland people. Last year, my secondary letter did NOT say that I would be contacted for an interview after file completion, though someone else I interviewed with got the letter referring to the auto-invite. That person was from the Springfield area, and I'm from Chicagoland. FWIW, I was invited to interview the same time I was notified that I was complete. Good luck! :luck:

my course followed exactly how the brown note said of his chicagoland experience. I didn't hear anything about an auto-invite with my secondary, but when i got my letter saying I was complete, I was also offered an interview. The thing is, I'm not from Chicago. I'm from Peoria in Central Illinois... Who knows what is going on???

Anyone know when they do the batch acceptance letters for those who've already received an AWPA letter? I know they said December, but does anyone have an approximate date?

Anyone know when they do the batch acceptance letters for those who've already received an AWPA letter? I know they said December, but does anyone have an approximate date?

They told me at my interview (11/07) that they would meet on 11/28 for AWPA's and that is when I would be considered, as well. I just got my prospective reapplicant letter today, so check your mailbox. I still love SIU, so if I don't get in somewhere else, I will be reapplying there. Good luck!

I think there are 2 different letters--one for central/southern IL people (and a few other people they really like for some reason), and one for Chicagoland people. Last year, my secondary letter did NOT say that I would be contacted for an interview after file completion, though someone else I interviewed with got the letter referring to the auto-invite. That person was from the Springfield area, and I'm from Chicagoland. FWIW, I was invited to interview the same time I was notified that I was complete. Good luck! :luck:

Hmm, I got the one saying I would be contacted after file completion, and I'm definitely north of I-80.

Hmm, I got the one saying I would be contacted after file completion, and I'm definitely north of I-80.

Maybe it's because you go to school downstate? I think our random speculations last year led us to believe that anyone inside the "collar counties" of Chicago (unless you live in particular underserved areas within that region) and/or people who didn't go to school outside of Chicagoland didn't get the auto-invite. But maybe that's not the way they do it--who knows? :confused: But at any rate, no matter how they decide who gets what letter, I'm pretty sure there are 2 different letters. Good luck to you all! :luck:

Yay! I got in! The letter was dated Dec. 6 and came in a SMALL envelope yesterday! :) Good luck to all of you!

Congrats WCGee!!! Now go celebrate :cool:

Is SIU your first choice?

Thanks! :)

I don't really have a top choice (I'm not too picky) but SIU is a definite contender for that position--early clinical experience + no scut work + CHEAP tuition = a difficult decision when the time comes.

Just curious you guys....

How many of you are from upstate IL and/or have SIU as your alma mater.

This will be my case come next year. Although I grew up about 30 minutes from Carbondale, I now currently reside north of I-80 in the boondocks. I went to SIU for my B.S. and M.S. and I'm hoping they'll be nice to me even though I now live north!

Just curious you guys....

How many of you are from upstate IL and/or have SIU as your alma mater.

This will be my case come next year. Although I grew up about 30 minutes from Carbondale, I now currently reside north of I-80 in the boondocks. I went to SIU for my B.S. and M.S. and I'm hoping they'll be nice to me even though I now live north!

Hi! I go to U of I, so I'm kind of in Central Illinois I guess. As for where I am from, I am way north near the Wisconsin border, but I'm also from a somewhat rural town west of where the main suburban kids are. So living north of I-80 shouldn't hurt you at all! Besides, I really don't think it's a matter of where you live, I think it's moreso whether or not you have the mentality/personality that fits with central/southern/rural living. And you've definitely been exposed to it, so don't worry!

I'm from the Southwest suburbs of Chicago, and I recently received an AWPA letter to SIU. Apparently being from Chicago can't hurt you that badly. I think the fact that I went to school in Nebraska convinced them that I'm down with the rural thing...

ooohhhh and you even went to one of SIU's rival schools! ;)

Thanks you guys for responding to my post. SIU is my #1 choice - my mom went to med school there and loved it (in the early 90's) and of course, I loved being a college student in Carbondale in the 90's too.

Yay! I got in! The letter was dated Dec. 6 and came in a SMALL envelope yesterday! :) Good luck to all of you!

Did you get your AWPA letter, or an official acceptance in the Dec. 6 letter?

For a school w/ a rep of not liking Chicagoans, my class has like 15/75 (20%) from Chi-Town & suburbs--so take heart my fellow northlanders. P-town is also heavily represented.

PBM

PS--Oh yeah, there's only one letter: secondary=interview.

Did you get your AWPA letter, or an official acceptance in the Dec. 6 letter?

It was an actual acceptance (I got the AWPA letter a few months ago)

For a school w/ a rep of not liking Chicagoans, my class has like 15/75 (20%) from Chi-Town & suburbs--so take heart my fellow northlanders. P-town is also heavily represented.

PBM

PS--Oh yeah, there's only one letter: secondary=interview.

I got in too!! U of I is representing so far! And I may be in that P-town crew next year...

It sounds like all of the posters on this thread thusfar are from IL and most of you are in ugrad there, too. Well, here's a question from a definite *outsider.*

I'm applying to SIU with a BS in Biochem from U of MO-Columbia, as an MD/JD candidate (because I don't have a choice...but also because I'm probably a little insane), and have been invited for an MD interview. No matter; that's not the point of this post.

Is anyone out there applying to the MD/JD program, or for the current students, do you know any of your classmates going through the program? If so, do you have any feedback on the curriculum, courseload/burnout potential, or how these students do on boards/matching?

In addition, does anyone have any idea what the normal stats are for successful MD/JD applicants? They have data for each degree separately, but I wasn't sure if there is any sort of fluctuation for people applying to both. I have a 31Q/3.72 and a 157 on the LSAT (snap registration when I decided to apply to SIU a month before the test... :( ). Any idea on my chances at SIU?

Thanks for any input!

i got in also, U of I in da house. (mcb major)

I - L - L.....

Representing MCB over here too, congrats to everyone! Julius - I think you were at my Iowa interview, along w/quite a few other Illinois folk.

I - N - I

I've got the auto interveiw. I need to send in my secondary somtime. (did you guys just type out a blurb and cut it and glue it to the application or what'd you all do for secondaries?)

U of I in the hizzle

12 - I typed my essays out in Word and set the page margins so that my stuff would fit on the application. Printed a test page to make sure things lined up okay, and then printed directly onto the secondary.

printed mine onto 8 by 11 sticky sheet and cut it out. I dont trust myself... I would have been sending in the original all upside down printed and stuff. My wife told me that since I was a **** and didnt understand left from right, that this would be the best way. it worked out well.

I typed it out onto a blank piece of paper (made sure it fit the spaces and everything), then cut it out, pasted it, then took it to get color photocopied at Kinkos so it looked perfect...yeah, I'm kind of a freak. :laugh:

I typed it out onto a blank piece of paper (made sure it fit the spaces and everything), then cut it out, pasted it, then took it to get color photocopied at Kinkos so it looked perfect...yeah, I'm kind of a freak. :laugh:

I wrote directly on the application :oops: Am I really the only one that did this so far this cycle??? My lack of techno-savvy musta help my application and made me look like a true down-stater, lol. It's all about the spin!

I - L - L.....

Representing MCB over here too, congrats to everyone! Julius - I think you were at my Iowa interview, along w/quite a few other Illinois folk.

Quite possible, I remember at my interview there were more U of Illinois interviewees than U of Iowa interviewees.

I was actually curious who you were, so i searched your posts. I still have no clue, but evidently we are in an online med terminology class together. Our school is just toooo big!

Congrats to everyone who got in!

I don't know if this encourages any of you or not, but for what it's worth: UIUC has far and away the strongest contingency of matriculants into my class. I'd guess it's around 15%.

I don't think there are separate letter which contain auto-invite vs non-autoinvite. The letter most likely had just been updated/changed by the time your friend recieved his/her's. Heck, my acceptance letter said "welcome to the class of 2008" (I kept it to hold them to it :D ) even though I'm actually in the class of 2009.

LMarie: I'll try and ask one or two of my MD/JD classmates about their thoughts on it for you.