1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Illinois University Anyone?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by NuMD97, Feb 3, 2002.

1. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello, folks:

I'm new to this bulletin board, but have been watching it for a few months now, and find the discussions on various topics quite interesting. I'm curious if there are any SIU medical students/residents/MDs out there who might be able to offer some input about the IM program. According to the FREIDA they seem to have a 15% attrition rate, which is rather high for a residency program. (Could the program be a malignant one? Old postings I've found elsewhere on the Net don't indicate that at all. But perhaps circumstances have changed since those postings were written.) I'm curious to know why, assuming those stats are accurate. They also note that one position is lost before the third year starts. And that is highly unusual. I'm interviewing there next week for a residency position and any light you folks might be able to shed, would very much be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Nu

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Can no one out there explain these stats? I'm totally perplexed. Thanks! :)

Nu

4. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

If you are getting the info about one position lost from FREIDA, I can tell you that the information there is based on the current residents, not the designated spots. For example, if one person drops out due to whatever reason in the second year, there will be one less in the third year on FREIDA. Depending on the size of the program, sometimes they can add an extra first year position or have someone transfer in.

5. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, Whisker, for taking the time to answer my query. :)

I never saw a program lose a spot after the second year and wondered if it were a pattern. But I see your point in how one should interpret that. I didn't realize that it reflected current residents not designated positions.

Again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. :)

Nu