Southern IM ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneJock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to post if your list is primarly south of the Mason-Dixon line. I'll kick things off:

1. UVA
2. UAB
3. UNC
4. Vandy

GL all:)

Members don't see this ad.

1.UAB
2. MUSC
3.UNC
4.Duke
5.Vandy
6.WAKE

Still trying to decide between UAB, MUSC. I liked the program at UAB better, but living in Charleston is almost too good to pass up.

GL.

1.UAB
2. MUSC
3.UNC
4.Duke
5.Vandy
6.WAKE

Still trying to decide between UAB, MUSC. I liked the program at UAB better, but living in Charleston is almost too good to pass up.

GL.

Excellent! I guess you have another 12 hours to decide.:) GL

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UF
2. UNC
3. UAB
4. Duke
5. Vandy
6. USF
7. Mayo Jax
8. UVa

Good luck everyone.

first off...wanted to say good call GeneJock... nice to see people that arent goin MGH BWH etc... and are looking at the south... well here's my list:

1) UAB
2) MUSC
3) VCU
4) WF
5) WashU
6) UNC

I too have had alot of trouble b/ MUSC and UAB... at the end of the day, I didnt think I could go wrong with either and though Charleston is an awesome city to live in (with a 3:1 female to male ratio) UAB just seemed to be a better fit for me..."the so-called gut feeling"

I had a quick question (not sure if this is the correct forum, but it has to do with my list) - if you know your interested in goin into GI or cards and have a good idea of where you want to end up, would you want to go to there (being the school that you want the fellowship at), though you thought that you'd gel better with a different program for an IM residency.

If this isn't the right place to post this, then I completely understand.

THANKS

Whoops, accidently entered prematurely

1) UAB
2) Vandy
3) UTSW
4) WashU
5) Wake Forest
6) UNC

Looks like quite a few of us were really impressed with UAB!

first off...wanted to say good call GeneJock... nice to see people that arent goin MGH BWH etc... and are looking at the south... well here's my list:

1) UAB
2) MUSC
3) VCU
4) WF
5) WashU
6) UNC

I too have had alot of trouble b/ MUSC and UAB... at the end of the day, I didnt think I could go wrong with either and though Charleston is an awesome city to live in (with a 3:1 female to male ratio) UAB just seemed to be a better fit for me..."the so-called gut feeling"

I had a quick question (not sure if this is the correct forum, but it has to do with my list) - if you know your interested in goin into GI or cards and have a good idea of where you want to end up, would you want to go to there (being the school that you want the fellowship at), though you thought that you'd gel better with a different program for an IM residency.

If this isn't the right place to post this, then I completely understand.

THANKS

Glad to see so many replies already! Looks like C-GAR hit the head on the nail!

Without diverging too much from the original post, I too asked the same question. For what it’s worth, I would say most programs do "inbreed" when filling fellowships spots. If you know you want to end up in Charleston (or city X) look from where they take folks to fill their spots - and how many actually come from their own IM program. With GI and cards b/c they are so competitive IMO you are better off going to a place that 1. Takes a larger proportion of internal candidates and has a solid program in that sub-spec, or 2. an IM program who matches a large number outside their institution into solid programs. PM me if you want any other opinions/thoughts. Keep the lists coming and hopefully we'll have a RED envelope at the end of the day!

1. Mercer
2. Moses H Cone Memorial
3. Carilion Health System
4. Marshall
5. Pitt County Memorial Hospital
6a. UVa
6b. UAB
6c. Vandy
6d. UNC

Not many heavy hitters at the top of my list

Hi Folks - Here's mine

1) Vandy
2) UAB
3) Emory
4) CCF - Cleveland
5) Louisville
6) Ohio State
7) UT-Memphis

Sorry violating the Mason-Dixon line here slightly, but have some friends in Ohio. Was very impressed by UAB but have rotated through Vandy and felt it offered a more rigorous program and was for personal reasons a better fit for me. Withdrew from UVa, MUSC, and WF. Good Luck to y'all.

Here's mine

1. UCSD
2. Colorado
3. Baylor-Dallas
4. UTSW
5. UCLA
6. Cedars

Really liked Baylor-Dallas although it is a community type program.....

UF isn't that hard to match at. I ranked UF #1 for family reasons, because it is close to home, and I really felt comfortable there. It was a tough decision between UF, UNC and UAB.

1. Vandy
2. UNC
3. UVA
4. Emory
5. MUSC

I put UAB as my number one....as did al ot of people it looks like. Just curious how many people got a letter from the program director stating their interest in you as an applicant? I just wonder if they send one to everyone???

I put UAB as my number one....as did al ot of people it looks like. Just curious how many people got a letter from the program director stating their interest in you as an applicant? I just wonder if they send one to everyone???

I received a letter about a week after I interviewed. Sounded generic except for a few lines from one of my interviewers. In talking to a few other people they seem to have gotten similar letters. It's still nice of them to think of us.:)

Yeah

got that same letter... Dr. XXXX spoke of you highly.