Southern Missouri Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbc586

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about jobs in southern Missouri? Particularly thinking about Freeman Hospital, Mercy health network, Cox Hospitals. In particular wondering what the consensus is on how good these places are to work: are people burned out, good support, do docs come/go quickly?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anything about jobs in southern Missouri? Particularly thinking about Freeman Hospital, Mercy health network, Cox Hospitals. In particular wondering what the consensus is on how good these places are to work: are people burned out, good support, do docs come/go quickly?

PM me your contact information.

I scribed at most of those hospitals. All the doctors seemed very happy and were great to work with! I know Monett and Springfield MO were paying their ED docs 500k. 14 shifts a month (12hr shifts). There were a few locums but in the two years I was there I’d say most of the docs stayed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scribed at most of those hospitals. All the doctors seemed very happy and were great to work with! I know Monett and Springfield MO were paying their ED docs 500k. 14 shifts a month (12hr shifts). There were a few locums but in the two years I was there I’d say most of the docs stayed.

I can definitively say that Cox is not paying their doctors $500k/yr in Springfield or Monett at this time. I can't speak for what happened in the past, but I kind of doubt it. I doubt Mercy is anywhere close to that either.

I can definitively say that Cox is not paying their doctors $500k/yr in Springfield or Monett at this time. I can't speak for what happened in the past, but I kind of doubt it. I doubt Mercy is anywhere close to that either.
I’m just reports what the docs told me. At Cox the doc said his group made around 500k and at Monet the main doc there told me he cleared 600k before taxes. Obviously they could be lying or inflating numbers but this is just what they told me within the last year. Also one locum straight up told me they were paying him $550/hr.

14 12s? Nooooo thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

I’m just an M1 so maybe I may be speaking out of nativity, but my grandfather who raised me worked as a pipe fitter his whole life. Commutes an hour to work everyday, worked a 12 hour shift mom-Friday and often overtime. All for 50k a year. His work was much more physically demanding that working in the ED. Sometimes you gotta have some perspective.

I’m just an M1 so maybe I may be speaking out of nativity, but my grandfather who raised me worked as a pipe fitter his whole life. Commutes an hour to work everyday, worked a 12 hour shift mom-Friday and often overtime. All for 50k a year. His work was much more physically demanding that working in the ED. Sometimes you gotta have some perspective.
Naiveté yes. Until you are at least a resident you won’t understand. Liability and dealing with unreasonable patient expectations/life and death decisions make even an 8 hour shift in the ER feel like 12-14 hours

Reactions: 1 users
I'm guessing your pipe fitting grandfather got a solid hour a day off for lunch and didn't spend too many mornings at 3am turning a wrench...

... And your speaking out of naivete, not the things people put up at Christmas.

... And may I add that as an M1, you have no concept of the horrors that lie in your future. It's like being the oblivious teen in the 46th Halloween movie. Enjoy the scene before the guy with the axe shows up.

I’m just an M1 so maybe I may be speaking out of nativity.
Well yeah, but fortunately this is the one time of year you can get away with speaking out of nativity.

Yeah. I don't work 14 12s. We work 7 hour shifts with pay for 8 hrs and 45 to clean up patients and reduce hand offs and the occasional 10 hr shift at the lower acuity ED.

I’m just reports what the docs told me. At Cox the doc said his group made around 500k and at Monet the main doc there told me he cleared 600k before taxes. Obviously they could be lying or inflating numbers but this is just what they told me within the last year. Also one locum straight up told me they were paying him $550/hr.

I think Monett had a unique situation with a small handful of doctors that ran the ED that existed for a while where the pay situation was pretty lucrative, but it's not like that now.

I am not sure what was going on at Cox when you were here, but since I have been working here and earning a paycheck, I can tell you we don't make that much money. It pays well, just not that well. As it is a small democratic group, pay outflows are known to all members of the group so I can tell you no one is making $500/yr. That would be well beyond the average ED pay for this part of the world.