Southern New Hampshire online for LMHC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabert26

Reaction score
First post so I’m sorry if the formatting is off.

I currently attend SNHU online for my bachelors in human services and have been thinking of pursuing my masters from them. I can continue to work and it’s pretty cheap. I work with veterans with PTSD and at a residential rehab facility which both are fulfilling to me. I’m in central Florida and am not looking to move so my other options are UCF, Rollins (which I used to go to and have heard is quite rigorous from coworkers in the program), Or Stetson. I have friends in each who have valid criticisms such as class size for UCF, tuition for stetson and rollins. I’ve been told online counseling is a poor decision but have not talked to anyone who has received a degree from an online program. Only in person programs and most say online is bad while some say it really only matters what internship you get.

My end game is to have a private practice and I have this all secured for the future as I know where I’m moving and by that time I will have the funding acquired. I don’t really want to do LCSW to be more diverse as it’s not necessary. I know the general consensus is that online is worse, but I know SNHU has had a brick and mortar counseling program for a while and the online is certified. Any advice on this idea or if their is a central Florida program that rivals the one listed?

Members don't see this ad.

First post so I’m sorry if the formatting is off.

I currently attend SNHU online for my bachelors in human services and have been thinking of pursuing my masters from them. I can continue to work and it’s pretty cheap. I work with veterans with PTSD and at a residential rehab facility which both are fulfilling to me. I’m in central Florida and am not looking to move so my other options are UCF, Rollins (which I used to go to and have heard is quite rigorous from coworkers in the program), Or Stetson. I have friends in each who have valid criticisms such as class size for UCF, tuition for stetson and rollins. I’ve been told online counseling is a poor decision but have not talked to anyone who has received a degree from an online program. Only in person programs and most say online is bad while some say it really only matters what internship you get.

My end game is to have a private practice and I have this all secured for the future as I know where I’m moving and by that time I will have the funding acquired. I don’t really want to do LCSW to be more diverse as it’s not necessary. I know the general consensus is that online is worse, but I know SNHU has had a brick and mortar counseling program for a while and the online is certified. Any advice on this idea or if their is a central Florida program that rivals the one listed?
SNHU has a bad reputation in general. If you want to do an online masters in counseling, I’d do one through a more traditional school. Search the CACREP directory and filter by online programs.

Reactions: 1 user