Southwestern Oklahoma State U Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShineBrite

TTUHSC SOP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Haven't seen a thing on SWOSU for the upcoming class, so I thought I'd see who all has applied this year? Last I heard from them, I would be contacted at a later date for an interview. I have heard they are notorious for only admitting Oklahoma residents, and I thought I'd see if there's any truth in that. Anyone got an interview or hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, I guess I'll be the only person to mention anything on this thread. Just spoke to one of the Admissions ladies, and she said interview invites will be mailed out at the end of this week:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to reply, so you're not the only one on this thread. I also applied to SWOSU. I keep thinking maybe not a lot of people applied for them to accept summer applicants, so I'm being rather hopeful that they'll accept everyone that applied. Well, for my sake, considering my stats aren't the greatest.

Yay! I'm not the only one! I was also hoping there were few applicants since they aren't starting in the summer. My stats FYI are 3.5 over GPA, 3.0 math/sci GPA, 79 composite PCAT, worked at CVS and local hospital as a tech for about 6 months all together. I've got my Associates, but no B.S

My stats:
-overall GPA: 3.3
-math/sci: 3.2
-PCAT: 74
-I've only shadowed a pharmacist, and then volunteered on the side.
-B.S. in Zoology

I applied, but was accepted to University of Colorado Denver and Nebraska. So there is one less applicant to compete with since I will be attending school in Colorado.

Please post if you've received a letter in the mail from SWOSU. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was told by mrs schultz letters would be mailed Monday

dang, she told me the end of this week (I was guessing yesterday, Friday). I hate that they do everything by mail, and there's no internet updates or anything.

Hi,
Haven't seen a thing on SWOSU for the upcoming class, so I thought I'd see who all has applied this year? Last I heard from them, I would be contacted at a later date for an interview. I have heard they are notorious for only admitting Oklahoma residents, and I thought I'd see if there's any truth in that. Anyone got an interview or hear anything yet?

They are notorious for admitted Oklahoma residents and out of state residents who did their pre-pharmacy work at SWOSU. When it comes to interviews this is how they generally prioritize it:

1) SWOSU students from Oklahoma
2) SWOSU students from other states
3) Oklahoma residents from other Oklahoma schools
3) Non-oklahoma residents from non-oklahoma schools

Last semester they didn't admit very many out of staters but I can put you in contact with a Texan I know that was accepted last semester and is currently in the program. He would be a better source than me, just PM me if you want to get in touch with him and I can give you his facebook or something.

nope, but if they did decide to mail things out on Monday, it should be soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke with the P1 guy I know, here's what he says

everyone here has received their letters and appointments are being scheduled starting thursday...if they didn't get one then they are either second rounders for the guys who don't impress on round one or they will be getting a rejection letter soon

Nothing yet on my end either. Please post if you've received anything. Again, good luck to everyone.

Let me put it this way. If a professional program takes an oklahoma student with a 2.5 GPA and a 50 PCAT over an out of state student with a 3.5 and an 80 PCAT, like SWOSU does, it is a program thats destined to fail sooner or later. This school takes about 10 to 15 percent out of state students per year. Usually those students have ties with the school or with Oklahoma. It is ridiculous. If you have a pulse and went to SWOSU undergrad program you will be accepted over anyone out of state regardless of GPA/PCAT. The only credit I can give SWOSU is that they actually state on their website that their "criterion" for getting accepted into SWOSU pharm school.They are not trying to hide their out-of-state discrimination. They have the lowest mean GPA IN THE NATION of accepted students with a 2.7...... R U kidding me? Check out the link.
http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdf

wow. that's kind of eye-opening. granted, i haven't received an acceptance anywhere, so i honestly wouldn't mind going there...though i've heard it's nigh impossible to find housing in Weatherford.

Let me put it this way. If a professional program takes an oklahoma student with a 2.5 GPA and a 50 PCAT over an out of state student with a 3.5 and an 80 PCAT, like SWOSU does, it is a program thats destined to fail sooner or later. This school takes about 10 to 15 percent out of state students per year. Usually those students have ties with the school or with Oklahoma. It is ridiculous. If you have a pulse and went to SWOSU undergrad program you will be accepted over anyone out of state regardless of GPA/PCAT. The only credit I can give SWOSU is that they actually state on their website that their "criterion" for getting accepted into SWOSU pharm school.They are not trying to hide their out-of-state discrimination. They have the lowest mean GPA IN THE NATION of accepted students with a 2.7...... R U kidding me? Check out the link.
http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdf

Hmm their program has been around for awhile now so I doubt they're going out of business anytime soon. I sent this to a buddy who goes there and this is what he sent back:

Ah, who needs caffeine when you have something like this to get your blood boiling? haha

Only someone who isn't in pharmacy school could say something that ridiculous. I know of NO ONE here that has a 2.5 GPA with a 50 on their PCAT and I know of NO ONE that was rejected with much higher grades than that of a SWOSU student. They prefer their students because they understand the intensity of the curriculum, how can they judge the difficulty of a class at OU or UT when they don't have contact with those professors? I have many in my class that didn't do their undergrad at SWOSU and they make up a quarter of our class. Lowest GPA accepted in the nation?! Are you kidding me? We're ranked 41st (as far as I could find, all I have is NAPLEX results from 2006) out of 88 schools and we're beating schools like Florida, Mercer, Auburn, Tech, and NOVA when it comes to passing the Naplex. Florida has a median 3.49 and NOVA has .01 higher than us, yet we're beating them when it comes to Naplex scores. If we're doing as good as these schools then why does GPA matter? I have a 3.5 GPA and for my fellow students who did their undergrad here there is NO ONE with a GPA lower than mine. The best is part is that I'm out of state but I have the grades to back it up.

I have no problem with you giving this guy my Facebook link but there's no way a punk like that would bother speaking to me when he has no idea what he's talking about. He's probably a troll and since you're on student doctor network or whatever then it's probably so. Also, tell the user who said it's hard to find housing that of course it's hard when you don't try. I lived in their dorms for 2 years and had absolutely no problems finding an apartment.
Just PM me if you want to speak to him, he would love to talk to you about SWOSU!

Last edited:
They are also above the 96 percentile NAPLEX pass rate for first attempts so I don't believe that they are having problems producing well qualified pharmacists. It is a good school and is difficult to get in there.

It is now officially April. Why would a program just now start interviews for pharmacy school. Many schools already have a full roster ready to go for fall 2010. Basically they are picking from the bottom of the barrell. Most of the highly qualified students have already interviewed, been accepted, and paid theiir deposits by now. That might be one reason why their mean GPA is 2.7. Think about that. For every person that has a normal 3.3 GPA that was accepted, they would have to accept a student with a 2.1 GPA. This is not made up stats. It came straight from the AACP. I dont know why they would distort figures and facts. Im not saying that there arent students with 3.8s that go there. Im sure there are. But I bet there are more sub 3.0 students that get in there than any other school. Anyways, who is going to tell another student that they have a 2.5 GPA in a professional program. I think I'd be too embarrassed. By the way, I applied to 7 total schools including SWOSU. Ive gotten interviews from 5 of the 7, been accepted by 2 of the 5, waitlisted by 1 school, and have still not heard from the other 2. Im out of state and guarantee you that someone with a much lower GPA and PCAT will get in over me. Im glad it was only a $15 dollar application fee. It just pisses me off that they take part in their own form of affirmative action. Why a more qualified candidate will not be considered because they are out of state is beyond me. But this is just my opinion folks. Take it with a grain of salt.

It is now officially April. Why would a program just now start interviews for pharmacy school.

SWOSU accepts applications for the fall AND spring semesters so the reason they are just now doing interviews is because they were too busy accepting students into the program.

Many schools already have a full roster ready to go for fall 2010. Basically they are picking from the bottom of the barrell.
Too bad you can't say that to any of the students faces. My friend goes there and he's certainly not bottom of the barrel and neither are his classmates according to him.

Most of the highly qualified students have already interviewed, been accepted, and paid theiir deposits by now. That might be one reason why their mean GPA is 2.7. Think about that. For every person that has a normal 3.3 GPA that was accepted, they would have to accept a student with a 2.1 GPA. This is not made up stats. It came straight from the AACP.
I see nothing that says they are accepting 2.1 GPA's in fact according to the admissions conselor, NO ONE in the current 2014 class has a GPA below 3.3. You must be smoking crack.

They turned away 3.2's last semester so what makes you think they are accepting 2.1's?

I dont know why they would distort figures and facts. Im not saying that there arent students with 3.8s that go there. Im sure there are. But I bet there are more sub 3.0 students that get in there than any other school. Anyways, who is going to tell another student that they have a 2.5 GPA in a professional program. I think I'd be too embarrassed. By the way, I applied to 7 total schools including SWOSU. Ive gotten interviews from 5 of the 7, been accepted by 2 of the 5, waitlisted by 1 school, and have still not heard from the other 2. Im out of state and guarantee you that someone with a much lower GPA and PCAT will get in over me. Im glad it was only a $15 dollar application fee. It just pisses me off that they take part in their own form of affirmative action. Why a more qualified candidate will not be considered because they are out of state is beyond me. But this is just my opinion folks. Take it with a grain of salt.
Ah so now we are getting down to brass tacks. You are just angry because a small school in Oklahoma won't accept you. Sorry that your stats are not up to par. Again, why don't you take me up on my offer and speak to my friend who goes there? He's an out of state student and had great stats to back it up.

Until you can present to me a student that has a GPA below 3.0 that was accepted, you are full of ****. I don't even go there and I know you're full of ****. What do you mean they would be embarrassed to admit to a subpar GPA? THEY ARE IN PHARMACY SCHOOL UNLIKE YOU! What the hell do they have to be ashamed of?

You are either trolling or you're a complete idiot who has absolutely no idea how the admissions process works.

EDIT: By the way, you haven't even posted your stats. For all we know you are one of the people you seem to be angry at.

Last edited:
Again, you should click the link and review the official stats that have been accumulated from all the pharmacy schools in the nation for the fall 2008 class. The 2009 class stats are not available yet. I think I will trust the AACP over a friend any day. A mean GPA means exactly what it says, mean (mēn) an average; a numerical value that in some sense represents the central value of a set of numbers.

If it is a 2.7, LIKE IT IS, then either you have to accept a 2.1 for every 3.3, or you have a lot of sub 3.0s to make up for a few 3.5s. I know people that have graduated from there as well. Hell, my pharmacy manager graduated from there. I just would not believe hearsay from your friend's friends. I have no doubt that they produce good pharmacists. I know a total of 5 graduates.
But facts are facts. SWOSU says it on their website that they would take goofballs with lower gpas over out of state people with better stats. Thats fact 1. And again, click http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdfthe link, go to 2nd pg. at bottom. Thats fact 2. AACP doesn't lie. Dont bother me with "my friend said this, or my friend said that". My friend once told me he had a 10 inch pecker. I honestly don't care what your friend says. I provide facts, not hearsay.

I am a student at SWOSU pharm school, and in my class there isn't anybody with a GPA lower than a 3.0. We just asked around today because we heard about this conversation.
Oh, and the first round letters are out and interviews have been scheduled. I dont know when the second round letters go out, but im guessing by the end of next week or beginning of the next one.

Again, you should click the link and review the official stats that have been accumulated from all the pharmacy schools in the nation for the fall 2008 class. The 2009 class stats are not available yet. I think I will trust the AACP over a friend any day. A mean GPA means exactly what it says, mean (mēn) an average; a numerical value that in some sense represents the central value of a set of numbers.

If it is a 2.7, LIKE IT IS, then either you have to accept a 2.1 for every 3.3, or you have a lot of sub 3.0s to make up for a few 3.5s. I know people that have graduated from there as well. Hell, my pharmacy manager graduated from there. I just would not believe hearsay from your friend's friends. I have no doubt that they produce good pharmacists. I know a total of 5 graduates.
But facts are facts. SWOSU says it on their website that they would take goofballs with lower gpas over out of state people with better stats. Thats fact 1. And again, click http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdfthe link, go to 2nd pg. at bottom. Thats fact 2. AACP doesn't lie. Dont bother me with "my friend said this, or my friend said that". My friend once told me he had a 10 inch pecker. I honestly don't care what your friend says. I provide facts, not hearsay.

http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/NaplexSPR.pdf

Read it and weep, rookie. No matter what you want to say about SWOSU Mr. I'm Not Even In A Pharmacy Program, their Naplex scores say otherwise. Obviously they are getting a good education there, they are blowing those Sooners away and other programs like NOVA aren't even close to SWOSU. They're even beating my current school!

Again, no one in the current class of 2014 has a GPA lower than 3.3 and this is coming from students AND administration. This is another example of someone who is hurt in the ass because a tiny school in Oklahoma wouldn't accept someone like you. I don't blame them either, with your attitude I'm GLAD they didn't accept you.

I've already sent my connection to SWOSU the posts you've made and I'm sure him and the rest of his class are having a field day with it. Only a pre-pharmacy person could say something so stupid about a program that they can't get into.

BTW because you wanted to know my stats.
3.61 overall Pharmcas GPA
3.47 Science GPA
81 Composite PCAT
Magna Cum Laude honor grad with BS in Biology with double major in Psychology and chemistry minor
1.5 years cert. pharmacy tech experience (over 2500 experience hours)

BTW because you wanted to know my stats.
3.61 overall Pharmcas GPA
3.47 Science GPA
81 Composite PCAT
Magna Cum Laude honor grad with BS in Biology with double major in Psychology and chemistry minor
1.5 years cert. pharmacy tech experience (over 2500 experience hours)

I call bull****, I was offered an interview for SWOSU and I had lower stats than you. Plus I'm an out of stater that did undergrad at Texas Tech.

You're either lying or SOL because SWOSU competition is tough.

Why would the AACP lie about 1 particular school's stats. I dont get it. Instead of having a field day with this post, they should have a field day with the AACP's research team if their research is untrue. I dont recall ever saying anything about the school's naplex or their graduate's knowledge.

Why would the AACP lie about 1 particular school's stats. I dont get it. Instead of having a field day with this post, they should have a field day with the AACP's research team if their research is untrue. I dont recall ever saying anything about the school's naplex or their graduate's knowledge.

The fact that you were turned away is enough proof that the median GPA isn't 2.7

Also, it's not very smart to talk bad about a school that you are hoping to accept you into their pharmacy program.

I did want to go there when I was filling out applications. It was never my first or 2nd choice, but my manager went there and said he liked it. I decided to apply, send two pics of myself along with my 15$. All I've gotten is two letters from them, both saying that I was accepted into SWOSU (the school, not the pharmacy school). At this point, I dont care to spend another dollar on interview expenses. Ive already been accepted and put down my seat deposit so I am feeling good about everything. Im from Texas too. All I ever said was it is BS that they would accept someone with lower stats that had some affiliation with the school over someone with better stats from out of state. But I shouldn't be too pissed, they state that they value in state students over out-of-staters on their own admissions page, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

I did want to go there when I was filling out applications. It was never my first or 2nd choice, but my manager went there and said he liked it. I decided to apply, send two pics of myself along with my 15$. All I've gotten is two letters from them, both saying that I was accepted into SWOSU (the school, not the pharmacy school). At this point, I dont care to spend another dollar on interview expenses. Ive already been accepted and put down my seat deposit so I am feeling good about everything. Im from Texas too. All I ever said was it is BS that they would accept someone with lower stats that had some affiliation with the school over someone with better stats from out of state. But I shouldn't be too pissed, they state that they value in state students over out-of-staters on their own admissions page, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

It's already been said why they prefer their own students, they know their curriculum. For all they know you could have went to a university that is known for easy degrees. To say that someone with a slightly lower GPA than you but that goes to SWOSU is not qualified is just plain stupid.

What the hell, if this school wasn't in your top two then why are you being such a baby about it? I thought people with Bachelor degrees were supposed to have the maturity that is expected to come with a 4 year degree. If you didn't want to apply then you shouldn't have let your manager grab you by the balls and tell you what to do.

It's astounding how people like you just don't understand the admissions process, go look at the link you posted and try and tell me that schools don't prefer their own students.

So basically what you are saying is that you really had no desire to come to SWOSU, but you still decided to try to rag on my school on their admissions process for no apparent reason other than to try to boost your own ego or something. I am from Texas, and I had no problem getting accepted. The reason they lean towards students who attended at SWOSU is because the undergraduate work is considered harder than most schools. I know multiple people from multiple colleges around the US, and when gen chems and organics are compared, SWOSU chem department is one of the toughest around.

You like to quote me a lot dont you? I applied there because it was 15 bucks. Not 160 like UT, or 150 like UH. I also applied there because its like 150 miles away from home. The link I posted only says instate and out of state. Not who all went to a school with an undergrad program that also has a pharmacy program. Learn how to interpret data.

I like to have options when choosing where I want to spend the next 4 years of mine and my family's life. I would like to get accepted everywhere and then make an educated, well thought out decision about my future. Thats not always the case, but such is life. Thats why I applied there.

And you sir, need to learn how to keep your mouth shut. Esp if you don't know the specifics of the admissions process. We don't go trash talking the place you are going. Grow up and have some respect for the profession.

I found this post clicking links trying to find out what a recent year's admission stats were for SWOSU... mainly the stat of how many interviews they conducted and how many they accepted out of that pool. Just throwing the "how I found this page" out there in case any of you know those relatively specific stats or where I can find them. I'm pretty sure I've seen them before but don't know where.

Just got a letter two days ago saying Congratulations, you're invited to interview, so that definetly made me happy.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this thought out there about the 2.7 average GPA... Have you ever looked at where the two is on your keyboard? It's right by the three. A human being entered those stats into that pdf. Since no one in the 2014 class has below a 3.3, there's a reasonable chance that it's a typographical error and was supposed to be "3.7". You always have to consider how the "human element" might have affected things.

Last edited:
So basically what you are saying is that you really had no desire to come to SWOSU, but you still decided to try to rag on my school on their admissions process for no apparent reason other than to try to boost your own ego or something. I am from Texas, and I had no problem getting accepted. The reason they lean towards students who attended at SWOSU is because the undergraduate work is considered harder than most schools. I know multiple people from multiple colleges around the US, and when gen chems and organics are compared, SWOSU chem department is one of the toughest around.

This is true, especially judging by your scores on ACS exams in General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry according to their data. Even your lower students score much higher than the national average on those exams. I didn't take any classes there but I must hand it to you guys, if you survived their organic chem and general chem programs then I owe all of you a beer.

You like to quote me a lot dont you? I applied there because it was 15 bucks. Not 160 like UT, or 150 like UH. I also applied there because its like 150 miles away from home. The link I posted only says instate and out of state. Not who all went to a school with an undergrad program that also has a pharmacy program. Learn how to interpret data.

I quote you because I'm talking to you, learn how to use a message board.

Oh! So in other words you had no interest in the school, you just applied because the application fee was cheap. I can't speak for the guys at SWOSU but the guys here wouldn't want you around.

That's irrelevant, especially when certain schools have less than 3 (1 in some cases) pharmacy schools in their state. It doesn't help your cases no matter which way you look at it. Look at the raw numbers of students accepted that were in state and out of state for most schools. Even if their undergrad was spread out, it's logical to say that they trust their local curriculum rather than out of state curriculum.

I found this post clicking links trying to find out what a recent year's admission stats were for SWOSU... mainly the stat of how many interviews they conducted and how many they accepted out of that pool. Just throwing the "how I found this page" out there in case any of you know those relatively specific stats or where I can find them. I'm pretty sure I've seen them before but don't know where.

Just got a letter two days ago saying Congratulations, you're invited to interview, so that definetly made me happy.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this thought out there about the 2.7 average GPA... Have you ever looked at where the two is on your keyboard? It's right by the three. A human being entered those stats into that pdf. Since no one in the 2014 class has below a 3.3, there's a reasonable chance that it's a typographical error and was supposed to be "3.7". You always have to consider how the "human element" might have affected things.

Hey, just FYI: all of the people that had an interview last fall and were put on the "waiting list" all got in because there were multiple people who went to different schools instead of SWOSU.

swosu has 260 applicants they are accepting 50 students and if you haven't recieved a letter yet you are probably on the waiting list like me. Basically 1in 5 applicants will get in so hope the other four are going somewhere else.

how did you find out you're on the waiting list? I figured I'd be receiving a rejection letter, since I'm from Texas and my grades aren't awesome, but nothing at all so far. But, does no rejection=waiting?

I called because I hadn't recieved a letter yet and she told me the stats because I asked. I am from Oklahoma but my pcat wasn't that great but standarized tests are not my forte. So now it's a waiting game until they lower thier standards and send out more interview letters

Its crazy that all this is being thrown around. But i actually go to swosu and know people who have got in with under a 3.0 (in math science that is). Now if we are talking overall GPA my god i hope its higher than 3.3. But all of that aside my best friend is in pharm school here and he had a 2.9 math science and a 46 PCAT. So there is proof lol. I chose not to go to pharm school at SWOSU just because I have been here for a while and don't like the area. Also you can look at any of the SWOSU threads on here and people get turned down with phenomenal stats from out of state all the time. People get accepted into UT and don't get in to swosu its just a fact.

I don't know why you defend it so vigorously renetto but i've talked to Mrs. Schultz on several occasions and she will tell you that in recent semesters they have taken below a 3.0 GPA (once again math science which is all swosu cares about). I don't attack SWOSU for any reason but I chose OU just because of the better facilities and options upon graduating. Oh and if you haven't been to Weatherford, OK before then prepare yourself for the worst weather in the midwest.

Oh and another thing lol I don't think that GPA is right by any means. Because I know lots of other people with 3.9 and very high GPA's. 2.7 seems very low considering the minimum to apply is 2.5. So don't think i'm saying u don't have to be qualified.

Also our chemistry is very tough here. Its very well respected in the state as during my interview at OU they said they really respected my grades from my chemistry courses from SWOSU.

My post kind of sounded like i was bashing the place but I mean I just thought that you were being over praising of the school. Also there are people who get in with 35-50 range pcat scores. In fact you can find them on this website. So don't think SWOSU is like an elite school or anything.

Oh lol and before you call me out for like not getting accepted to SWOSU. I was accepted by both SWOSU and OU and chose OU. Oh and i got a bachelors degree from SWOSU as well. And housing is not difficult at all to find here. You don't have as many options as most schools but there is plenty of places.

Anyone hear anything im getting really anxious

Ok everyone,
I got my letter for an interview for spring 2011 and I am freaking out. I am so scared. Can you guys give me an idea how the interview is going to be or what kind of questions they will ask?

Ok everyone,
I got my letter for an interview for spring 2011 and I am freaking out. I am so scared. Can you guys give me an idea how the interview is going to be or what kind of questions they will ask?

I applied for Fall 2011 and seems like I won't be hearing from them until April... hmmm...